• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Barrier Islands Ocean Pines resorts

Santina

TUG Member
Reaction score
this just came in on a ongoing search. We really want to go to OBX but the resort seems rather shabby. Has anyone been there? I am searching with a 2 bedroom ocean city maryland. Should I wait longer?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When are you looking to go to the OBX?

Is your Ocean City a prime summer week? There are a lot of discussions about OBX resorts on TUG. OBBC is the only Gold Crown. Many resorts there are unrated. It depends on your tastes. You could possibly stay at OBBC (Gold Crown) and also find that shabby. I haven't stayed at that resort in some years, so I can't personally comment on it. I own at and used my week this year at its sister resort, Barrier Island Station Duck. I wished some things were a little cleaner, but overall I enjoyed my stay and love the location. This resort is considered shabby to many, although it is in the 7's in the review section here on TUG.

Bigbird130

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Barrier Islands Ocean Pines Beach

We stayed there last year and as far as being on the beach it was great but the resort needs a little TLC.
Everything is ok just a little worn.
Most units are 3 floors and no elevators if that's a consideration.
We would love to go back but my traveling companions both have heart problems so the stairs are a little too much for them.
We went week 40-the 6th-13th of Oct.
Nice time-the weather is still nice and it's not crowded in stores and resturants.
We traded a 2 Bdr in Kissimmee:hi:

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
If you are looking for Marriott this is not the place for you. This is not the same type of beach area as Ocean City or Myrtle Beach. There are no high rise hotels or a bunch of cookie cutter resort areas. The Outer Banks still has a bit of an old fishing village feel to it. Even with all the modern things going on off of the beach, it is very laid back. Don't get me wrong, there are many homes in the area that are worth millions, but it tends to be much more casual.

The resort you are looking at in Duck is oceanfront, but fairly isolated if you are planning on a bunch of nightlife and action.

My family has been vacationing here for the past 40 years. It is probably the most restful vacation we take.

Cindy

Bigbird130

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Barrier Islands Ocean Pines Beach

We traded a 2 Bdrm in Kissimmee for a week there last year
Oct 6-13
Beach was great!
Resort was nice but needs some TLC
Most units are 3 floors and no elevators if that's a concern.
My 2 campanions have heart problems so that was a problem going up and down for bedrooms and bathroom:hi:

Bigbird130

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Barrier Island Ocean Pines Beach

Sorry about the double post
Had internet problems and didn't know the first one went thru:eek:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barrier Island leaves a lot to be desired in the maintenance and updating area. Unfortunately, the developer remains in control of the HOA long after the resort has sold out. Amazingly, they even let the resort where they are still in sales, BIS-Kitty Hawk slip from GC to SC.

There is more going on in the central OBX than in the northern or southern sections, although still pretty laid back. If you want to be closer to more activities, try a resort between Nags Head and Kitty Hawk.