• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bank or reserve and cancel?

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
July 1 is my deadline to bank my 141k SO ($89 fee). Is there an advantage for me to make a reservation instead and then cancel due to coronavirus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
you would save on the fee (for me it was $109) but instead of being able to use it over the next 2 years, you would have until December 2021. The biggest disadvantage would be instead of being able to book 8 months prior you would only be able to book 120 days prior.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You should absolutely bank them:

Bank: Don't expire until 2022 - 8 month booking window.

C-19 Rule: Expire 2021 - 4 month booking window.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
bank bank bank

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Banking gives you 2 years to use plus the 8 months vs 4 month window. Shouldn’t really be a question at all.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Bank. I just banked our 81k so and will combine for hopefully a HI trip in 2022.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a more difficult question...I'm going to bank what Staroptions I currently have in the next couple of days. I ALSO have a reservation at Harborside over Thanksgiving. Do I cancel the reservation so I can bank those points too? The way things are going, I am very unsure if we'll be able to go or if it will be advisable to go....but hate to give up a great reservation!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Here's a more difficult question...I'm going to bank what Staroptions I currently have in the next couple of days. I ALSO have a reservation at Harborside over Thanksgiving. Do I cancel the reservation so I can bank those points too? The way things are going, I am very unsure if we'll be able to go or if it will be advisable to go....but hate to give up a great reservation!

Cancel, bank, hope for 2021. IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I don't have a dog in this fight, but if I owned a TS right now, I'd try to use it this year. Why? Because banked SOs are only as good as inventory. With all these people banking SOs due to Covid, what realistically are your chances at getting anything decent at 6 months out, when owners and non-Covid SO owners will be able to book much earlier?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Lisa! To my knowledge, Vistana doesn't have an 6 mo. booking windows.. With banked SO's you can make a reservation 8 mos. out, and the Staroptions are good until the end of 2022. If you have any kind of risk factors, you probably don't want to fly this year.

If you are thinking of the new C19 rule, the booking window is120 days, and that is what we are discouraging the OP from doing.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Just banked all of my options and now I wish I made another week reservation somewhere! I call that bankers remorse. Bank the options. I will try to use most of my options at once. I almost deposited in interval for once but didn’t want to deal with even more limited availability.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just banked all of my options and now I wish I made another week reservation somewhere! I call that bankers remorse. Bank the options. I will try to use most of my options at once. I almost deposited in interval for once but didn’t want to deal with even more limited availability.
I can't believe you said this b/c I banked my on Friday and then over the weekend someone suggested "Let's go to scottsdale for Thanksgiving". Sorry - no can do :(

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I can't believe you said this b/c I banked my on Friday and then over the weekend someone suggested "Let's go to scottsdale for Thanksgiving". Sorry - no can do :(
Never fails!!!! I wish we could bank but still use for last minute. You would think they would allow that since we would eat up options quicker yet still get their banking fee

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never fails!!!! I wish we could bank but still use for last minute. You would think they would allow that since we would eat up options quicker yet still get their banking fee
I thought the same thing! If you can find a reservation using banked points , you would think it would be a win-win (win for the customer and Vistana). C'est la vie!

I booked a trip to WKV in Sept. Irregardless of what's open or not, I decided, I'll go & make the best of it .

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I thought the same thing! If you can find a reservation using banked points , you would think it would be a win-win (win for the customer and Vistana). C'est la vie!

I booked a trip to WKV in Sept. Irregardless of what's open or not, I decided, I'll go & make the best of it .
Excellent. I go to the harborside on the 7th but am a little iffy on that. Not sure the citizens want tourists just yet.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent. I go to the harborside on the 7th but am a little iffy on that. Not sure the citizens want tourists just yet.
I hope it works out -- ENJOY.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
If you prepay your 2021MF, then you can make a reservation for this year. I don't know if you can use banked options by pre paying, but certainly with 2021 options. Wouldn't hurt to ask CS , cause you must call CS to prepay and do the booking anyway. Cannot do online.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you prepay your 2021MF, then you can make a reservation for this year. I don't know if you can use banked options by pre paying, but certainly with 2021 options. Wouldn't hurt to ask CS , cause you must call CS to prepay and do the booking anyway. Cannot do online.
I knew this but had forgotten. THANK YOU ! I love this type of information. Who knows ? Perhaps I'll be out of town for T-giving after all!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Right, I knew that and didn’t want to have to bother with pre paying but if I really want another trip I guess why not

dspring

TUG Member
Reaction score
We canceled our Maui September reservations and have booked a road trip from Ca to Westin Riverfront and Sheraton Steamboat. Road trip and hiking in Colorado mountains seem safer than getting on a plane. We do miss Maui!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I am booked to be at Westin Mission Hills over Thanksgiving but I was thinking of changing the reservation to WKV but I could not find availability using Star Options. I guess I have to stick to WMH. I am using banked SOs, so it is a case of use it or lose it.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Hi Lisa! To my knowledge, Vistana doesn't have an 6 mo. booking windows.. With banked SO's you can make a reservation 8 mos. out, and the Staroptions are good until the end of 2022. If you have any kind of risk factors, you probably don't want to fly this year.

Ah, yes. Duh. P.S. Hope you're doing well!