• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge I-695 GONE

DRIless

Reaction score
Container ship collision collapses entire span over Patapsco River ship channel. East Coast I-95 traffic in/around Baltimore will certainly be affected for the foreseeable future. Big impact on port facilities and shipping.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Terrible :( The video in the NYTimes is terrifying. The poor souls driving across the bridge when it happened.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
It looked like the freighter lost power just before the collision

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
That bridge looks really frail when it's in the water.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It looked like the freighter lost power just before the collision
Yes, there is a video of the lights going off then back on and off multiple times prior to collision. Every tome lights go off it veers toward bridge support. Will be interesting to learn why.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Yes, there is a video of the lights going off then back on and off multiple times prior to collision. Every tome lights go off it veers toward bridge support. Will be interesting to learn why.

@davidvel Please post a link. I'd like to see that one.

I know nothing about navigating Baltimore's Outer Harbor (I guess it's the Patapsco River out by the Key Bridge) but it's possible that wind and/or current pushed the ship in that direction. Lost power could mean loss of steering control or maybe loss of propulsion. (Loss of power and loss of propulsion don't necessarily go together.)

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it between John’s Hopkins and the airport?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is vacation traffic and the daliy computer traffic going to be in this area for the next 5 to 6 years? Daliy Traffic is already heavy. IMHO

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope the container ship Dali, and it's operators have some SERIOUS insurance, because they're about so be filing some SERIOUS claims!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
No. The bridge was over to the east of that route.
Yes it's southeast of center city Baltimore. It's the eastern section of I695 Baltimore beltway - a heavily traveled beltway every day. Below is a screenshot of a map for reference. It's a 1.6 mile long bridge - one of the largest bridge spans in the world at 1200 feet - IIRC it's still the third largest span in the US at least. It's a core artery around Baltimore and it's currently blocking the second busiest port on the eastern seaboard from a supply chain standpoint. Expect supply chain issues on the eastern seaboard as a result of this. Fortunately this all occurred at 1:35am in the morning so traffic was at a minimum - last I heard there were a couple dozen people still missing - including construction crew members that were working on the bridge during the overnight hours.

1711475567085.png

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lawyers will be busy for years to come
Heck of a place to lose steering and forward propulsion

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a huge hang up about driving over a bridge. I can ride but I can’t drive with my eyes closed. If they offered a service to drive the car over a bridge I would use it. This makes it worse.

Reaction score
Expect supply chain issues on the eastern seaboard as a result of this.
As a former trucker, I drove that bridge when I had a hazardous materials load, since I-95 and I-895 forbid HazMat loads. The industry is saying all non-tunnel trucks (oversized or HazMat) must take the other side of I-695. The only "supply chain issues" I see is a 1-day delay in moving freight, since all trucks will be crammed onto I-95 and I-695 West as well as local/US routes.

In terms of the ship's propulsion, when they lose the engine, the ships just "go with the flow" (aka current). Since the river is pushing the ship, the rudder is ineffective.

TS

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been reported that this ship had some problems leaving the port of Norfolk, Virginia last week or the week before. Plus,this same ship hit a barge overseas in 2016.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Anybody thinking of buying a home on Sparrow's Point (see that map) should probably wait many years

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
As a former trucker, I drove that bridge when I had a hazardous materials load, since I-95 and I-895 forbid HazMat loads. The industry is saying all non-tunnel trucks (oversized or HazMat) must take the other side of I-695. The only "supply chain issues" I see is a 1-day delay in moving freight, since all trucks will be crammed onto I-95 and I-695 West as well as local/US routes.

In terms of the ship's propulsion, when they lose the engine, the ships just "go with the flow" (aka current). Since the river is pushing the ship, the rudder is ineffective.

TS
Except for the fact that zero ships can navigate into or out of the actual port of Baltimore - which is upriver of where the failed bridge is now blocking all waters with hazardous materials from the failed bridge collapse. It has nothing to do with the trucks - it has to do with the shipping lanes being blocked. Same goes for all cruise ships - which also dock upriver.

Excerpt from that article: "The Maryland Port Administration announced on Tuesday the suspension of vessel traffic into and out of the Port of Baltimore until further notice. The port is not shut down and it's still processing trucks inside of the terminals."

Hopefully they can somehow clear collapsed bridge materials from the channel sooner rather than later - to at least re-establish the shipping lane ingress and egress from the port of Baltimore.

Last edited:

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
CEIX stock fell 10% on the open today because they seem to use that port to export coal. I guess the shipping channel how has a bridge IN it.
It's always something

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a huge hang up about driving over a bridge. I can ride but I can’t drive with my eyes closed. If they offered a service to drive the car over a bridge I would use it. This makes it worse.
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge, which takes you from the bottom of the Delmarva Peninsula to Virginia (and the other way), does have driving services available.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrible :( The video in the NYTimes is terrifying. The poor souls driving across the bridge when it happened.
news I have heard is there were also construction workers that are missing, road work at night. Didn't get much notice to get off seems.
Adding: heard on tv the ship did not use it's anchors to stop it's movement

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
@davidvel Please post a link. I'd like to see that one.

I know nothing about navigating Baltimore's Outer Harbor (I guess it's the Patapsco River out by the Key Bridge) but it's possible that wind and/or current pushed the ship in that direction. Lost power could mean loss of steering control or maybe loss of propulsion. (Loss of power and loss of propulsion don't necessarily go together.)
Video

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
news I have heard is there were also construction workers that are missing, road work at night. Didn't get much notice to get off seems.
Adding: heard on tv the ship did not use it's anchors to stop it's movement
Correct. Pot hole filling crew.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I have a huge hang up about driving over a bridge. I can ride but I can’t drive with my eyes closed. If they offered a service to drive the car over a bridge I would use it. This makes it worse
Mackinac Bridge has a driving service.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I-95 N and I-95 S bound are going to be a traffic disaster in the next few months and days.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)