• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bali Hai points on eBay

meetseti

TUG Member
Reaction score
A contract for 1,154,000 Bali Hai points just sold on eBay for $10,000. That means at least 4-5 years to break even on MF compared to picking up CWA points for free. I'm interested in your thoughts.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I've owned resale for 10 years and haven't been inclined yet to end my membership, so it seems like a reasonable break-even - I certainly would have come out ahead if I was in the market for that many points. I don't follow the market enough to know if it was a reasonable price in general.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was zero 2021 points so I figure it sold for $16,000 when you add in the 2021 MFs.
I’m sure it was a Presidential Reserve contract when you figure the MFs.
I was not the buyer. I did bid but it sold too high for me.

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was watching this contract too....the total monthly assessment seemed a bit high at $5.19....my BH is $4.79. I didn't try to reverse engineer the program fee for the ebay one to see how that factored in. I personally also consider the resale-ability when looking at these.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
No one is giving away PR. Which from the maintenance fees the bidders figured it it was.

Even if it wasn't PR at five years or less to recover the cost via the lower maintenance fees this is well worth $10k. My personal rule of thumb, given our ages, 69 and 71 for a few more months, is five years or less is a no brainer. 6-8 I have to really think about it. Beyond that I'm out but that's solely because of our age. We've owned for 19 years already and our son is on our account too since he turned 21 thirteen years ago so I take the long view.

In 4-5 years when this person will be paying hundreds of dollars less for the same vacations the CWA owner who got their points for free is paying. Guess who'll be thinking to themselves who's the smart one now?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
My personal rule of thumb, given our ages, 69 and 71 for a few more months, is five years or less is a no brainer. 6-8 I have to really think about it. Beyond that I'm out but that's solely because of our age.
This has been my rule of thumb more or less forever...not just due to age, but because looking back over my past, life has proven to be not very predictable on the scale of 7-10 years.

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one is giving away PR. Which from the maintenance fees the bidders figured it it was.

Even if it wasn't PR at five years or less to recover the cost via the lower maintenance fees this is well worth $10k. My personal rule of thumb, given our ages, 69 and 71 for a few more months, is five years or less is a no brainer. 6-8 I have to really think about it. Beyond that I'm out but that's solely because of our age. We've owned for 19 years already and our son is on our account too since he turned 21 thirteen years ago so I take the long view.

In 4-5 years when this person will be paying hundreds of dollars less for the same vacations the CWA owner who got their points for free is paying. Guess who'll be thinking to themselves who's the smart one now?

Would the PR be listed in the estoppel? The ownership detail I received from the seller didn't show it.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Would the PR be listed in the estoppel? The ownership detail I received from the seller didn't show it.

No it wouldn't be listed. The only clue on this one was doing the math on the maintenance fees. Which wouldn't have been easy to figure out if you didn't know that in addition to paying higher maintenance fees than select points pay, PR owners pay a higher program fee on the first million points too.

Even if it turns out not to be PR, which I doubt will be the case, this wasn't a bad deal. Based on what people have been paying for much smaller amounts of points at Bali Hai.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was watching this contract too....the total monthly assessment seemed a bit high at $5.19....my BH is $4.79. I didn't try to reverse engineer the program fee for the ebay one to see how that factored in. I personally also consider the resale-ability when looking at these.
Bali Hai MFs on a PR contract are $4.48 per thousand points, so this is how I figured it was a PR contract:
$4.48 MF x 1,154 = $5,169.92
First 1mil points get the PR program $.74 x 1,000 = $740.00
Program fee on the 154,000 additional points is $.66 x 154 = $101.64
Total MFs $6,011.56 verses the $6,011.52 listed is a very minor rounding of 1 cent per 3 months

That’s why I’m sure it’s a PR contract

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
A contract for 1,154,000 Bali Hai points just sold on eBay for $10,000. That means at least 4-5 years to break even on MF compared to picking up CWA points for free. I'm interested in your thoughts.
Will the VIP discounts apply if you are a non VIP buyer? Forget about the 5 year pay back on the 10k. Why spend the 10k along with 6k in maintenance fees when you can rent vacations without purchasing or being burdened with maintenance fees. Keep in mind renting from a VIP in the 60 day window while receiving the 50% discounts and upgrades is at least 1/2 the cost of paying maintenance fees on a non VIP ownership.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Private identity auction with 8 bidders and 63 bids. I like to see the identity and feedback on all bidders. I wonder what the feedback score was on the bidders running up the price and the winning bidders feedback?

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
No it wouldn't be listed. The only clue on this one was doing the math on the maintenance fees. Which wouldn't have been easy to figure out if you didn't know that in addition to paying higher maintenance fees than select points pay, PR owners pay a higher program fee on the first million points too.

Even if it turns out not to be PR, which I doubt will be the case, this wasn't a bad deal. Based on what people have been paying for much smaller amounts of points at Bali Hai.

Holding out of me, eh?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Holding out of me, eh?

I sure wasn't bidding on it! I'm good but even I can't come up with plausible reasons to explain to Jim why we would need another 1,154,000 points. I settle for living vicariously and leave the crazy to you and Stan. Lol

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Will the VIP discounts apply if you are a non VIP buyer? Forget about the 5 year pay back on the 10k. Why spend the 10k along with 6k in maintenance fees when you can rent vacations without purchasing or being burdened with maintenance fees. Keep in mind renting from a VIP in the 60 day window while receiving the 50% discounts and upgrades is at least 1/2 the cost of paying maintenance fees on a non VIP ownership.

Because not every room is available at the 60 day mark and not everyone needs anything bigger than a studio/1 bedroom. Why pay the rental price year over year when it's cheaper to own?

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sure wasn't bidding on it! I'm good but even I can't come up with plausible reasons to explain to Jim why we would need another 1,154,000 points. I settle for living vicariously and leave the crazy to you and Stan. Lol

A quick discussion with the hubby and he said that I absolutely should have bought it.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because not every room is available at the 60 day mark and not everyone needs anything bigger than a studio/1 bedroom. Why pay the rental price year over year when it's cheaper to own?
I agree not every room is available at the 60 day or 13 month mark. Even if I book at 13 month mark I can rent for less most of the time then paying Grand Desert maintenance fees. Renting comes without a sunk cost or the burden of paying maintenance fees. I am not against owning and I do own a non VIP ownership with Wyndham but if it is cheaper to rent I will rent instead of using my points. I also can add renting eliminates the need to pay the housekeeping fees on short stays.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I agree not every room is available at the 60 day or 13 month mark. Even if I book at 13 month mark I can rent for less most of the time then paying Grand Desert maintenance fees. Renting comes without a sunk cost or the burden of paying maintenance fees. I am not against owning and I do own a non VIP ownership with Wyndham but if it is cheaper to rent I will rent instead of using my points. I also can add renting eliminates the need to pay the housekeeping fees on short stays.

Most VIPs rent their points out at the $15/point mark, so unless you know someone who will rent for cheaper, in most cases it's cheaper just to own your own resale membership. If housekeeping is an issue, then it's easy to find a high point cost week that rents out for more than the MF. A 2 bedroom during xmas week at BC costs me $1270 to book and rents out within a week at $1400 using 224,000 points. You get 3 housekeeping credits on 224,000 points but only use 1 for the week, giving you 2 extra HK credits to use on your own reservations. That's how I've always bypassed my housekeeping allotment and booked discounted weeknight stays without running out of housekeeping.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
Who are you renting from at 13 months that is cheaper than owning at Grand desert? I like to know as I can’t find anyone willing to rent cheaper than $8-10/1000 if over the 60 day mark. Asking for myself as I find myself renting quite often as well.

troy12n

Reaction score
Who are you renting from at 13 months that is cheaper than owning at Grand desert? I like to know as I can’t find anyone willing to rent cheaper than $8-10/1000 if over the 60 day mark. Asking for myself as I find myself renting quite often as well.

Something else, with a few exceptions where Wyndham has a ton of inventory like Orlando, Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Williamsburg, maybe the Florida Panhandle and a very few others, the likelihood of being able to book within 60 days is pretty low based on my experiences. You get the scraps, or have to deal with changing rooms, and possibly room types if you are able to cobble together a week somewhere. I just went through this myself. I felt fortunate to even get the entire desired timeframe.

Good luck booking Sedona, any of the Wisconsin resorts or New England resorts within 60 days unless it's the dead of winter low season. Especially if you NEED a larger unit. I think that's an important factor.

My kids are grown, and throwing them on the couch doesn't cut it anymore. For a LOT of reasons. If you are a retired couple traveling alone and never need more than a 1BR, it might be better. But even then, availability is slim under 60 days.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just throwing out other alternatives to buying more points the one can possibly use. This leads to the glut of points available to rent cheap. IMHO I just don't see the $15/1000 rental rates advertised on tug market place and I would never pay it knowing its cheaper to pay CWA maintenance fees. We all know CWA maintenance fees are not a cost effective.way to travel when booking Wyndham resorts compared to a lower cost deeded ownership. Edited to clarify for Braindead.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
We all know CWA maintenance fees are not a cost effective.way to travel.
I totally disagree. It’s more cost effective using CWA points on a 2 or 3bd condo instead of 2 or 3 hotel rooms of equal quality.
Thats‘s without any VIP discounts or upgrades thrown in, if you can add those in at times CWA points are better yet.
I don’t own any CWA points

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Just throwing out other alternatives to buying more points the one can possibly use. This leads to the glut of points available to rent cheap. IMHO I just don't see the $15/1000 rental rates advertised on tug market place and I would never pay it knowing its cheaper to pay CWA maintenance fees. We all know CWA maintenance fees are not a cost effective.way to travel.

When the VIPs post their rentals it usually is at the $15/1k mark with 50% discounts and free upgrade.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the VIPs post their rentals it usually is at the $15/1k mark with 50% discounts and free upgrade.
I never paid more then $6/1000 max and recieved the 50% disconts along with a few free upgrades. This is within 60 day discount window on points used after 50% discount and does not include free upgrade. I also never book more then a one bedroom. Key is to be flexible with travel plans. If someone wants a 3 beroom presidential room
at Bonnet Creek during Thanksgiving or a room that needs to be booked 13 months out this stategy may not work for all.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally disagree. It’s more cost effective using CWA points on a 2 or 3bd condo instead of 2 or 3 hotel rooms of equal quality.
Thats‘s without any VIP discounts or upgrades thrown in, if you can add those in at times CWA points are better yet.
I don’t own any CWA points
I would never believe that 2-3 hotel rooms could be of equal value to a 3 bedroom Wyndham resort? Especially without a VIP discount or free room upgrade.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would never believe that 2-3 hotel rooms could be of equal value to a 3 bedroom Wyndham resort? Especially without a VIP discount or free room upgrade.
Use Bonnet Creek as an example. What cost less per night?
1. Using CWA points on a 2 or 3 bd deluxe unit
2. Paying for 2 or 3 hotel rooms. Remember you have to find a Hotel close by of equal quality with a Security Checkpoint to access the property, several free amenities & inside access to the rooms

I’ll choose to use the cost of the MFs on CWA points every time