• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

balcony smoking WKORV?

pharmgirl

Reaction score
does anyone know if there is a policy about smoking on WKORV balconeys? My hubby smokes cigars and has done this previosly here on balcony (not inside)

Hawaii has changed smoking laws but allow hotels to set aside up to 20% smoking rooms

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin hotels in the US do not allow smoking anywhere on the property. I believe the same applies to WKOR as a Westin resort. Regardless of what the WKORV policy is, we could certainly smell cigars from a couple of balconies away.

It was probably someone below us (probably more than one story away since we didn't see anyone directly below or beside us). Policy aside, it is very annoying for those that don't smoke to get smoke blown in from another room. There were some days where it was difficult to sit outside due to the way the wind blew up the smoke from below. It was not just a little smell but more like having someone sitting on the same lanai with a lit cigar. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just mentioning that the dynamics of the airflow at WKORV almost ensures your hubby will be bothering someone with the smoke.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

mepiccolo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also smelled a cigar while on my balcony last year (6th floor-center). I'm very allergic to cigarette smoke so I was glad that at least it was a cigar and not a cigarette but, as a non-smoker, it was still not as pleasant as smelling the fresh Hawaiian air.

zinger1457

Reaction score
Make sure the smoke doesn't get back into the room. At the Westin Kierland they hand out a notice along with the room key stating that they will add a $250 cleaning fee to your bill if there is any indication of smoking inside the units.

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be aware of the new statewide smoking ban - it's pretty strict.

""Building" means any area enclosed or partially enclosed by a roof and at least three walls."

(this is being interpreted as balconies/lanais)

pharmgirl

Reaction score
-7 Exceptions. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter to the contrary, the following areas shall be exempt from the provisions of sections -3, -4, and -5:

(1) Private residences, except when used as a licensed child care, adult day care, or health care facility;

(2) Hotel and motel rooms that are rented to guests and are designated as smoking rooms; provided that not more than twenty per cent of rooms rented to guests in a hotel or motel may be so designated. All smoking rooms on the same floor shall be contiguous and smoke from these rooms shall not infiltrate into areas where smoking is prohibited under this chapter. The status of rooms as smoking or nonsmoking may not be changed, except to add additional nonsmoking rooms;

seems that this implies rooms that are already designated smoking remain

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
A hotel can have up to 20% smoking rooms if the hotel wishes, but Westin is all non-smoking at least in the US and I think maybe worldwide.

Also note: "smoke from these rooms shall not infiltrate into areas where smoking is prohibited under this chapter." and that can be used to argue that certain smoking rooms need to be non-smoking.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still an open question?

I am not a cigar smoker, but it seems to me from the posts above, that smoking a cigar on an open lanai is not smoking in a room or an enclosed space. Is it banned or isn't it?? I frequently travel with guests that enjoy an after dinner cigar on the lanai. Honestly, it really doesn't bother me! But, a $250 fine would! Ben

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a cigar smoker, but it seems to me from the posts above, that smoking a cigar on an open lanai is not smoking in a room or an enclosed space. Is it banned or isn't it?? I frequently travel with guests that enjoy an after dinner cigar on the lanai. Honestly, it really doesn't bother me! But, a $250 fine would! Ben
http://www.hawaiismokefree.com/
The Smoke Free Hawai‘i law creates fair and consistent statewide protection for the health of people who do not want to be subjected to secondhand smoke. The law will go into effect on November 16, 2006, “The Great American Smokeout.”

Under the law, smoking is prohibited:

* In enclosed or partially enclosed facilities
o owned by the state or the counties.
o open to the public. This includes private businesses.
o that are places of employment. Private homes used as childcare, adult care or health care facilities are considered places of employment. Private membership clubs are under jurisdiction of the law if they are a place of employment.
* In Hawai‘i airports, from cabin to curb.
* Within 20 feet of doorways, windows and ventilation intakes for the prevention of secondhand smoke drifting into enclosed areas.
* In the enclosed, partially enclosed and seating areas of sports arenas, outdoor arenas, stadiums and amphitheaters.

Exceptions under the law:

* Hotels and motels may designate up to 20 percent of rooms as smoking allowed. Rooms must be on the same floor, contiguous and smoke must not infiltrate into smoke-free areas.
* Smoking is allowed in private and semi-private rooms of nursing homes and long-term care facilities. Smoke must not infiltrate into smoke-free areas. Residents must request in writing to be placed in a smoking room.
* Outdoor areas of employment except those provided for within the bill.
* All areas covered by the Smoke Free Hawai‘i law when smoking is part of a production being filmed.
* State prison facilities.

Last edited:

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enforcement of the Law

* Clearly legible signs with the words “Smoking Prohibited by Law” or the international No Smoking symbol must be visibly posted at the entrances to every public place and workplace that is designated as non-smoking.
* Owners, managers, operators and employees of any establishment designated as non-smoking are responsible for informing violators of this law.
* Individual violators of this law may be fined up to $50 plus court costs.
* Businesses who fail to comply with the law may be fined up to $100 for the first offence, $200 for the second offence within one year of the first violation and up to $500 for each additional violation within one year of the preceding violation.
* Businesses risk suspension or revocation of any licenses or permits issued to either the person or place where the violation occurred.
* Owners, operators and managers of public places and workplaces, including outdoor areas, not covered by this law have the right to designate the areas under their control as smoke-free. Smoking will be prohibited in those places where signs are posted.

Questions, concerns, violations and complaints can be directed to the Department of Health at (808) 586-4613 or call the Aloha United Way Help Line at 211.