• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bahamas/ Bringing Food ( Organic availabilty)....JUST CURIOUS, really......

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok...so sorry to harp on this. I generally can't be bothered with bringing food when I travel, but I do have 3 young children ( a 4yo and 21month twins) and so while they are pretty good eaters, I do like to bring some familiar items. Mostly just a few dry snacks BUT I have a very specific item. You will think ( or discover) that I am wrapped a bit tightly, but anyway...humor me if you can.....

One item I can always count on is yogurt. We buy the Stonyfield Organic yogurt smoothies or Yo Baby drinkable yogurts. If the kids wont eat anyything else, I can always get them to drink a little yogurt as a snack... We also prefer organic milk, but of course relax this when we travel.

Can anyone tell me if they have noticed that the grocery stores carry these yogurts?

Just curious, I dont expect it, but nice to know....what about Organic milk?

Finally, do you know if I can bring the yogurts in a cooler packed in the checked luggage? ( One website I came across said "no dairy" so hard to get my arms around....Others not specific.

Thanks

Cheryl

Last edited:

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
We were there a couple of weeks ago and stopped at the City Market on the way in. Stonyfield Yogurt is there along with organic milk (I think also Stonyfield). We bought both. I don't remember if they had yogurt smoothies or organic gogurt, but they had a pretty decent dairy section. They aren't cheap (think organic markup plus island markup), but they are there. I did not go to the market on the Harborside bus so I don't know if that market has organic stuff. So have your driver take you to the City Market on the way in to Harborside to make sure you get what you want and to see if they have the yougrt smoothies. The import restrictions seem to be inconsistently handled, so you might want to err on the side of caution and not bring them with you -- don't want to be the "lucky" one!

We always have our version of gorp with us (plain and honey nut cheerios, raisins, craisins, peanuts, and m&ms) in case we get hungry and I also brought Kashi cereal. And I found Jif peanut butter in "dipping" size that helped as well when there was "nothing to eat", since the size was less than 3 oz so goes in the zip lock baggie! (my kids are now 9 and 12, but I remember the fun of traveling when they were littler!)

Have a great time.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
So have your driver take you to the City Market on the way in to Harborside

Out of curiosity, did the driver charge you more to wait while you shopped? A reasonable amount if fine, and I definitely want to do this when I go next year - it was too inconvenient to take the shuttle (and put a severe limit on how much water I could buy...price of water at the resort was ridiculous).

And, does anyone know how late the market is open? My flight next year doesn't land until just after 8pm, so I probably wouldn't be able to get to the market until 9pm or later. I expect I'll just take a cab from the resort the next morning if it's too late...

Which means my real question should be... how late is the restaurant at Harborside open? 10pm? 11pm? We'll need dinner when we get there since our flight leaves very early from the west coast that day (3 planes - anyone take odds that our luggage will get there?). The good news is that American still allows two checked bags to Nassau at no additional charge.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Out of curiosity, did the driver charge you more to wait while you shopped? A reasonable amount if fine, and I definitely want to do this when I go next year - it was too inconvenient to take the shuttle (and put a severe limit on how much water I could buy...price of water at the resort was ridiculous).
You should ask the driver how much it will cost to go to Harborside and a stop at the grocery store. We probably overpaid, but we were OK with that. We bought a case of water at the City Market, and the kids and I drank refilled bottles most of the week. The DH is pickier and drank only bottled.

Which means my real question should be... how late is the restaurant at Harborside open? 10pm? 11pm?
Don't know about the grocery store, but the restaurants at the Marketplace were open fairly late, and the Marina Pizza was open until at least 10.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score

And, does anyone know how late the market is open? My flight next year doesn't land until just after 8pm, so I probably wouldn't be able to get to the market until 9pm or later. I expect I'll just take a cab from the resort the next morning if it's too late...

Which means my real question should be... how late is the restaurant at Harborside open? 10pm? 11pm? We'll need dinner when we get there since our flight leaves very early from the west coast that day (3 planes - anyone take odds that our luggage will get there?). The good news is that American still allows two checked bags to Nassau at no additional charge.

Ken, I was over in Nassau by myself and when taking a cab back was quoted a rate of $10 plus whatever is reasonable for a quick stop at CM for bread and milk, once I was in the cab, the driver asked me how much I thought was reasonable - I said $5 making it $15 for the trip and he said it wasn't enough! I didn't want bread and milk that much so settled on the standard $10 fare back to HS. If you look at City Markets ad here I think it looks like it is open until 9 but I don't have the greatest of vision for that small print.

Whirl, one individual container of Yogurt in the onsite shop was $3 so make sure you get your week's supply when you stop for shopping.

By the way, we brought plenty of sunscreen but not enough of quality waterproof sunscreen. Make sure to get waterproof!

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spot on....Thanks!

We were there a couple of weeks ago and stopped at the City Market on the way in. Stonyfield Yogurt is there along with organic milk (I think also Stonyfield). We bought both. I don't remember if they had yogurt smoothies or organic gogurt, but they had a pretty decent dairy section. They aren't cheap (think organic markup plus island markup), but they are there. I did not go to the market on the Harborside bus so I don't know if that market has organic stuff. So have your driver take you to the City Market on the way in to Harborside to make sure you get what you want and to see if they have the yougrt smoothies. The import restrictions seem to be inconsistently handled, so you might want to err on the side of caution and not bring them with you -- don't want to be the "lucky" one!

We always have our version of gorp with us (plain and honey nut cheerios, raisins, craisins, peanuts, and m&ms) in case we get hungry and I also brought Kashi cereal. And I found Jif peanut butter in "dipping" size that helped as well when there was "nothing to eat", since the size was less than 3 oz so goes in the zip lock baggie! (my kids are now 9 and 12, but I remember the fun of traveling when they were littler!)

Have a great time.

Thanks for the great feedback. Just what I needed to know. I just couldn't gauge from conversations how broadbased the supermarkets in the Nassau would be. It varies widely from island to island. I can rest a little easier knowing I can get the yogurts they are familiar with and organic milk, too ( which probably means I can get alot of other products a picky mom is familiar with as well).

I will also pack some familiar cereals like Kashi etc....sounds like you could pack for me and we would be pretty simpatico...

I love the "dipping/snack size" peanut butters. It's a great tip for anyone with kids...no refrigeration needed and so portable. They are a life saver and one our favorite travel staples as well for my older one ( and mom and dad, too). My twins are not yet allowed to eat nuts, though ( doctors recommendation...no known allergies, but one of the itemss currently recommended for babies to avoid until after age 2 to minimize exposure to high allergens... so we are careful)

...but anyway.....we just found Sunflower butter ( which they love) snack cups online and they are great to throw in our diaper/travel bags....great for on the go sandwiches or to dip crackers, pretzels, or veggies in..you know kids love anything they can DIP!

Thanks for the reminder, or I would not have thought to look for the individual sized sunbutter cups. I was thrilled to find them!

Anyway, we will have to make a separate trip to the grocery store. It's jsut just too much to contemplate after a long morning of travel with 3 young ones who will be anxious to run around or perhaps desperately need naps, if they don't sleep on the plane....AND we are spending a few days at the Wyndham before checking in to HArborside, so we won't be able to take on groceries yet!

Last edited:

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whirl, one individual container of Yogurt in the onsite shop was $3 so make sure you get your week's supply when you stop for shopping.

By the way, we brought plenty of sunscreen but not enough of quality waterproof sunscreen. Make sure to get waterproof!

Ha ha ha...no shortage of sunscreen for us....I buy the stuff by the gallon!!! We also have neck to knee sunsuits ( the kids look like little scuba divers...so cute) so that minimizes how much skin we have to recoat all the time.

Thanks. Cheryl