• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bahamas Advice Wanted: Rental Car or Not + Cell Phone?

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're staying at Ocean Reef Resort & Marina in Freeport, GBI, in a couple weeks. What is everyone's opinion on the necessity of a rental car? I've reserved one, but it sounds like the resort runs a grocery and beach shuttle, and there's a public bus that stops out front. We like to explore when we visit the islands, but are a little nervous :eek: about driving on the left side of the road. At ~$500 for the rental car ($300 rental + $136 insurance supplement + gas), we could just take taxis/bus/tour excursions instead. How plentiful are taxis? (like if we took a bus someplace and wanted to get a taxi back)

How big is GBI, like how long would it take to circumnavigate the whole island? When we stayed on St. Martin we did that a couple times, but Puerto Rico was way too big for that.

If you've been there (Ocean Reef or Freeport or Grand Bahama Island), what's your opinion on the necessity of a rental car? We usually rent cars so we have the freedom to go where and when we pleased, and we like to find the best restaurants (best food, not necessarily expensive or fancy*).

In addition, I think we need to get an unlocked international cell phone. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations regarding this? I found this site: internationalcellphone.com and think I could use a local Bahamas Sim in any unlocked phone, right? We're also going to Atlantis + Nassau in May, so I'll be able to use the phone then too.

* While we're at, I'll take food recommendations as well :D We usually only cook breakfast at the TS. So, grocery and restaurant recs wanted.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Nsivertsen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Bahamas

Hi,
We own a timeshare in Freeport and go there every year since the early 90's.
We always rent a car (from Brad's) and have no problems driving on the left side of the road. GBI isn't that crowded. One of favorite lunch restaurants is the Banana Bay restaurant which you would either have to drive to or take a cab. You'll need a car if you want to "explore " the island.
Try this site: geographia.com/grandbahama then click on Grand Bahama Island Welcome, then on newsgroups. Lots of info on restaurants, etc. on the site. There are several good restaurants in Port Lucaya which are also mentioned and talked about on the site. There's also a lot of bickering lately on the site lately but don't pay any attention to it. Enjoy your vacation.
RichS

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a follow up, I should have listened to Nsivertsen and rented a car, as we've been here one day and determined we want one. Now Hertz is booked. The resort has a cheap one available, I'm going to call Brad's and see if they compare.

Re cell phone. I had my AT&T phone unlocked. But waited until we were down here to get the local sim chip. Many places (including Zorba's restaurant, recommended) seem to have phone cards (to use at pay phones or add minutes to phones) but not the sim chips. We have to go to Gadgets & Gizmos in Freeport to get the sim chip.