• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bad News: RCI Weeks VV Internal Exchange Rate Goes Away if Combining Deposits

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The conventional wisdom on TUG has long been if you combine different VV deposits in RCI Weeks (as longs as nothing in the combine operation is from outside VV), the combined deposit keeps the discounted (currently $159) internal exchange rate. And that is how it has worked for me up until this point.

My current VV "combine ball" in RCI expires at the end of August (not large at 21 TPUs). I went online last night and combined it with remaining deposit credits from the Colonies of 1 TPU and one at 23 TPUs that expire in July of 2023.

After the combine operation, I noticed the newly combined deposit was showing $259 for exchanges into VV properties (versus the $159 internal exchange rate).

After chatting with two online agents and calling up the toll-free number, I have had no luck in resolving it where the combined deposit will get the internal exchange rate. I had an agent undo the combine operation and refund my payment while I decide what to do. This (if true and final) will make it easy for me to decide to deposit my the Colonies ownership in II moving forward versus RCI.

Here is part of the chat I had this morning:

Me (10:36:36 AM): are each of the 3 [original deposits] eligible for VV internal exchanges at $159 as they were before the combine? [I was asking this after undoing the combine, to make sure everything was as it originally had been]​
Daniel J. (10:40:56 AM): Yes, they are eligible for the Vacation Village discount. Sorry, when you combine them, you lose the discount.​
Me (10:41:53 AM): When did that policy change become effective? If you look at the 3 [original deposits], one of them was a combination of previous deposits.​
Daniel J. (10:42:42 AM): As far as I know, it became effective when we started combining deposits back in 2010.​
Me (10:43:29 AM): What is different with trying to combine these three than the past times I have done it that qualified?​
Daniel J. (10:44:14 AM): Sorry, I'm not sure.​

When I have time, I am going to try to reach out to the RCI agent located at Massanutten (a VV village property) that has helped me in the past.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have combined many massanutten and leftover massanutten credits over the years and the discount has always remained. I think October was the last time I combined and that one still gets the discount. This makes me nervous about doing it again.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have combined many massanutten and leftover massanutten credits over the years and the discount has always remained. I think October was the last time I combined and that one still gets the discount. This makes me nervous about doing it again.

What I have done up until now is exactly what you mention above. It worked well for the 3 years that I did it.

The one new wrinkle to my transaction this time is I was combining what remains of my Massanutten combine ball (deposits received for paying MFs early) with remains from exchanges tied to my "the Colonies" ownership.

Maybe you can't combine TPUs from two different VV properties and keep the internal exchange rate? Has anyone on TUG ever combined TPUs from different VV resorts and maintained the internal discount?