• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Back from Cozumel Palace...Happy to Answer Questions

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's been a long ride since my first ever timeshare I bought, Plaza las Glorias/Sun Club, went bankrupt and was purchased by the Palace Resorts chain. I fought to keep my fixed week 5 I originally bought in '93, to no avail. I thought there was no way I wanted all-inclusive (mandatory at all Palace resorts). Boy was I wrong.

I had a fantastic time at Cozumel Palace last week...and the ol' place looks all spiffy and swank now. The staff is so well-trained, the food is really great, and I was really wowed. I sent a friend of mine there for a week Nov 1, and she loved it too. Thanksgiving week for me was a great time to go, and I look forward to staying in April or May when I think the water and air temps will be a bit better.

I'd be glad to answer questions about Cozumel Palace...or even Playacar Palace and Aventura Spa Palace (where I also visited last week...you can "Stay at One, Play at Them All" as they like to say). It's OK to PM me if you prefer. :cool:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Carol

We were just in Cozumel via a Cruise - we probably just missed you. We took a cooking class through your friend Carey's website and had a great time.

I wish I had known, we could have probably at least met for a drink.

Glad you had a good time. I sent a friend last May and she really enjoyed it too.

Chelle

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Carol

We were just in Cozumel via a Cruise - we probably just missed you. We took a cooking class through your friend Carey's website and had a great time.

I wish I had known, we could have probably at least met for a drink.

Glad you had a good time. I sent a friend last May and she really enjoyed it too.

Chelle

Oh no...I can't believe we missed each other. :bawl: I knew you were going but I didn't know it would be so soon!

We were there Weds before Thanksgiving for a full week. Spent a nice Thanksgiving with Carey and Tony and Charles (moderator on her site & a good friend) and Violet. I also hung out with Charles the evening we hit the farmacia for generics. I also got to meet and hang with a longtime pal from one of my Palace yahoo groups; she's the one I now bring donations to (my kids clothes, backpacks and toys are going to an abused women's shelter this year). Deb is a volunteer staffer with Red Cross up there on 20th in Coz. Anyway, we have been to Coz so often there's always a pretty big agenda of local socializing. But I would have been so happy to spend time with you on Coz. Let's keep better track of each other's vacation plans, k? Maybe you'll use your Palace certificate in '09 and let us know when you plan to go so we can coordinate our trip! :clap:

P.S. Chelle, btw we had a happy surprise in Playacar. The jazz fest that used to be in Cancun has moved to PDC and we went. Being from da Burgh, jazz runs in my veins. I had a blast! :cool:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Carol

We were there the Saturday before Thanksgiving so we would have missed you - now I don't feel so bad. Glad you had a good time.

My next vacation is Puerto Vallata in June - I am looking forward to it

Chelle

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I sent a friend of mine there for a week Nov 1, and she loved it too.

Carol, were you able to use one of your discounted AI weeks that we owners get for your friend?

noworktoday

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay at One- Play at All (Cozumel Palace)

I am interested in staying at the Cozumel Palace through a RCI trade. I like to dive, but I am also interested in sight seeing. Can you tell me a little more about the "Stay at One- Play at all" comments I am reading about? Is this program only for owners? How difficult is it to get to the mainland, spend some time at another Palace resort, and get back to Cozumel? Are guests offered the two free tours?

Thanks for any information!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The 2 times we exchanged into a Palace Resort in Cancun, it was stay at one and use all. We had a great time and spent a day at different resorts. I especially recommend the Spa Palace.

The tours were for exchangers too. It is included int your AI fee.

In February 2005, the RT cost for the ferry between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen was $20 US.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in staying at the Cozumel Palace through a RCI trade. I like to dive, but I am also interested in sight seeing. Can you tell me a little more about the "Stay at One- Play at all" comments I am reading about? Is this program only for owners? How difficult is it to get to the mainland, spend some time at another Palace resort, and get back to Cozumel? Are guests offered the two free tours?

Thanks for any information!

Very easy to take the ferry over and visit the Playacar Palace - which makes a nice base for lunch/drinks while shopping in Playa. Easy taxi ride to Aventura Spa Palace also.

While staying at Aventura we spent a couple afternoons/evenings having lunch and dinner at Playacar. And a wonderful buffet breakfast/lunch and dinner at Cozumel. Cozumel activity desk made arrangement for our last minute glass bottom boat snorkeling tour - they were really fantastic. If you want to visit Aventura the simplest thing to do is go to Playacar and grab a taxi right in front.

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Cozumel on a 4 night cruise out of Tampa next month, with a large group of women from our community, although my cabin mate and I will probably go off and do our own day trip - we're only in port from early morning until 6:00 pm. It's becoming more difficult to know what to do for the day as I'm not bothered about water sports and such like. Some people say the ruins aren't worth a visit, we thought of a horseback trip but comments on Trip Advisor said the horses are malnourished, etc. I know some of the all inclusive hotels do a day pass, in fact, I an get one to the Iberostar hotel without a problem. So, what IS the best to do, based on the above? Any help will be appreciated. We were originally going to the Bahamas and as the Carnival ship was going into dry dock we were offered Cozumel. Many thanks.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Cozumel on a 4 night cruise out of Tampa next month, with a large group of women from our community, although my cabin mate and I will probably go off and do our own day trip - we're only in port from early morning until 6:00 pm. It's becoming more difficult to know what to do for the day as I'm not bothered about water sports and such like. Some people say the ruins aren't worth a visit, we thought of a horseback trip but comments on Trip Advisor said the horses are malnourished, etc. I know some of the all inclusive hotels do a day pass, in fact, I an get one to the Iberostar hotel without a problem. So, what IS the best to do, based on the above? Any help will be appreciated. We were originally going to the Bahamas and as the Carnival ship was going into dry dock we were offered Cozumel. Many thanks.

We did the 4 day out of Galveston and while in cozumel we took a cooking class from Josefina (carol's fiemd's website has the info, http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCookingClasses.html )

My DH & I realy enjoyed it.. The class was from 11-2 and was a private class. We got to select what we wanted to cook (we picked Mole) and Josefina even had DH cooking which is quite a feat. She took us t the market and then we went back to her house to cook. I highly recomend this - it was much better than the standard tourist activities. Cost for the 2 of us was $158.

After the class we walked downtown and did a little shopping, checked out El Cid where we recently bought a week and got back to the ship in plenty of time

James T

Reaction score
First time to Cozumel

We're headed to Cozumel and have tons of questions. First, we're staying at El Cid (through Wyndham/Fairfield) and would like any info on the place. We have yet to decide whether to purchase the "all-inclusive"package - so what to expect to pay for meals, etc in the area. Second, how's a good way to identify tours, activities, etc. W/F member service said to call the hotel - they didn't sound encouraging. Lastly, what should it cost for taxi service - primarily to/from the airport? But there are other places we'd like to go/see.
Thanks for sharing your insights!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We're headed to Cozumel and have tons of questions. First, we're staying at El Cid (through Wyndham/Fairfield) and would like any info on the place. We have yet to decide whether to purchase the "all-inclusive"package - so what to expect to pay for meals, etc in the area. Second, how's a good way to identify tours, activities, etc. W/F member service said to call the hotel - they didn't sound encouraging. Lastly, what should it cost for taxi service - primarily to/from the airport? But there are other places we'd like to go/see.
Thanks for sharing your insights!

James, I'm not sure of the value of the all-inclusive package at El Cid. I've not stayed there, but I have toured there in the past and don't know much about their food offerings. If I were you, if it's your first time to Coz I'd skip AI and take advantage of all the good restaurants on Coz (unless you're a big drinker of alcohol, in which case AI might serve you well). My fave indie restaurants on Coz are Prima, la Choza, and Casa Denis for people watching on the main square. If you dive, there are many good dive shops on Coz. If you snorkel, it is decent right off the shore there at El Cid la Ceiba (although the old plane wreck has pretty much disappeared due to hurricanes breaking it apart.) Chankanab Park is a must...you can go there on your own, go early to get a good place before cruise crowds show up. Go snorkeling at Dzul-Ha...very nice with easy access. Go to the beach at Playa Azul to the north on a Sunday afternoon; they typically have a live band on Sundays. On Sunday evenings the main square is the place to be for people watching.

There will surely be reviews of the AI plan and food/drink offerings at El Cid on tripadvisor.com. Also, for general tips on Cozumel's various attractions, visit the forums on this website: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com

Have a great time! :hi: