• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Baby formula shortage is hitting home

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Of course, some people on social media are criticizing moms for not breastfeeding! That is not always an option. My DIL and her friends are all new mothers. One has to bottle feed bc of her medications. Another lost her milk supply after getting covid. (I have heard of this twice now). My heart goes out to the parents of babies, who just want to feed them!
Funny that all formulas are not the same. I always thought formula is formula, but switching these babies caused gas and colic issues and throwing up and diarrhea. They are so happy on their formula. We just spent three weeks in Disney World with those babies, and they are so easy!

Two babies would be tough to breastfeed. She works from home and a lot of hours for her law firm. She did breastfeed our older girl. This wasn't an issue when the babies were born the day after Christmas. No shortage then. The doctor recommended this formula and any straying from the recommended product has been bad for the babies. Who wants colicky babies? Two is a lot of work already.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use the "Defense Production Act" to make the Baby Formula available to those who need it.

Reactions: Tia

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandkids at Disney:

1652453485351.jpeg

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
@rickandcindy23 I doubt I can work a miracle here, but I live in a completely different part of the country. Want to send me the formula info and I'll look around here? If I find some I'm happy to ship. LMK how I can assist.
Great idea! Texas is hard hit, but we can keep an eye out.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I got our DD to ask her 2 friends that have babies who are less than 1 year old who are on formula about a shortage in Canada. It appears there is no shortage of formula in Canada, so maybe you could order from Walmart dot ca or even Amazon dot ca and have it shipped down. Failing that I could buy some when we get home and ship it to you, but that won't be for another week. We are currently in Virginia. I haven't looked at the formula isles in the stores here.

~Diane

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got our DD to ask her 2 friends that have babies who are less than 1 year old who are on formula about a shortage in Canada. It appears there is no shortage of formula in Canada, so maybe you could order from Walmart dot ca or even Amazon dot ca and have it shipped down. Failing that I could buy some when we get home and ship it to you, but that won't be for another week. We are currently in Virginia. I haven't looked at the formula isles in the stores here.

~Diane
According to our DIL, it's specific formulas, and the one she needs is that Similac Advance Pro. There are other formulas on the shelves, including the Similac Advance, but it's got to be the one in the picture mdurette posted.

We are hoping that our local grocery store will alert us when stock arrives. That is an "in" we have we an employee who is a friend. She is sure we can get some in the next week.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, here is something I read in an article. i can't remember where or I would post the link.

Last year people hoarded Foruma along with toilet paper, etc. So, after that stopped, people bought less to use their stock up. Sales of formula dropped and therefore manufacturing dropped with it.

Meanwhile - in Europe and Canada, the formula has a higher standard than US, but can't be sold here because they don't meet the labeling standard. Apparently, Customs/Border Patrol has been seizing shipments that people have tried to get into the US.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The picture @mdurette posted is exactly what we need. That would be so helpful.

With grocery stores doing easy pickup since Covid, if you order, it will probably tell you after you try that it is out of stock.

I will keep an eye out, I should have just grabbed it when I could for you. It would have came from walmart corp - not the actual store I was shopping from, that did say sold out.

Searching for hard to find items is a little game I play (kinda falls into the timeshare exchange game). If I come across it again, I will secure and we can work something out. I would suggest if you have any warehouse club memberships, watch those in the middle of the night if possible. Even during the height of the pandemic this method never failed for disinfectants, face masks and even toilet paper!

PS: I must have put that in my cart this morning because when I just went back in to finish it let me know their warehouse was sold out.

Last edited:

nomoretslt

Reaction score
@rickandcindy23 what a sweet picture! Hope the babies get what they need soon. My daughter could not tolerate simlac with iron. Switched to regular and also gave her chamomile tea and it helped with her distress. What an awful situation. :mad:

Tkhalaska

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to our DIL, it's specific formulas, and the one she needs is that Similac Advance Pro. There are other formulas on the shelves, including the Similac Advance, but it's got to be the one in the picture mdurette posted.

We are hoping that our local grocery store will alert us when stock arrives. That is an "in" we have we an employee who is a friend. She is sure we can get some in the next week.
The original was similac advance, which then became similac pro advance. The new version is similac total care. Any of these 3 are essentially the same product. If they end up using some other formula, or if there are issues with tolerating transition your DIL could try mylicon drops.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last night ABC Nighttime news said ABOTT labs is still waiting for FDA approval to re-open and when they start production, it will be at least two months before supply is out in stores.

When my boys were born, they could not tolerate regular formula. They were a mess each time I tried a new one. Eventually they did well with Isomil. When my daughter was born, I told the pediatrician I was putting her on that from the beginning and did well. Always had a hard time finding it.

Such a sad and stressful situation for all (and yes, not every mom can breast feed for various reasons).

@rickandcindy23 - the babies are adorable (all three :) ). It is definitely a lot of work having twins. Ours just turned 5.

Last edited:

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughters didn't do well on regular formula. We switch to Carnation/Nestle Good Start - which had pre-digested whey, I think. It is now sold under the brand of Gerber Good Start.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
That's the very thing she is trying to find.
Similac, the powder? just want to confirm. I thought most people wanted the liquid. I can check, too. I thought the shortage was nationwide, but I just read a post that maybe it's not everywhere.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
'TRY BREASTFEEDING! It's free and available on demand': Bette Midler is slammed by parents for making light of baby formula crisis
  • Bette Midler, 76, on Friday waded into the nationwide shortage of baby formula
  • All states are running low, and have been for several weeks, after a February shutdown of one of the biggest producers compounded existing shortages
  • The industry is also a monopoly, with three producers accounting for over 90 percent of production - meaning the shutdown of one has a massive impact
  • Midler tweeted: 'TRY BREASTFEEEDING! It's free and available on demand'
The divine Miss M should shut her pie hole:

In response to Midler's tweet, many pointed out that a significant percentage of women are unable to breastfeed, despite their best attempts - one lactation consultant and author, Diana Cassar-Uhl, put the figure at 12-15 percent of all mothers.​
Others noted that some babies have specific dietary conditions, and do not respond well to breastmilk.​
Others still pointed out that tens of thousands of babies are adopted, and others born via surrogates.​
57792389-10815041-image-a-11_1652483291300.jpg

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Milk banks receive their usual monthly donation offers in a single DAY as moms around the US pitch in to help those affected by the baby formula crisis
  • It's a pathway that won't work for every formula-fed baby, especially those with special dietary needs
  • It also comes with challenges because the country's dozens of nonprofit milk banks prioritize feeding medically fragile infants
  • The organizations collect milk from mothers and process it, including through pasteurization, then work with hospitals to distribute it
  • The shortage stems from a safety recall and supply disruptions and has captured national attention with panicked parents looking to swap and buy formula
NB: There is a political reference in the article in the link (which I have edited out of the information posted), I would like to share how some are pitching in to help.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The babies are starting on solid foods as of a few days ago. I am hoping for them to be able to stretch the formula a bit longer.

@rapmarks It's funny that a friend and I were wondering what formula replaced from when we were kids? I thought cow's milk, maybe, unless the child was intolerant of it, then it was goat's milk, maybe. You answered the question with that picture.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Similac, the powder? just want to confirm. I thought most people wanted the liquid. I can check, too. I thought the shortage was nationwide, but I just read a post that maybe it's not everywhere.
1652535827645.png

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That one is the only one that has been good for them so far. She has tried others that she can find and the others give both babies tummy aches. Trying for a day and dealing with three days of colicky babies is not worth it.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The babies are starting on solid foods as of a few days ago. I am hoping for them to be able to stretch the formula a bit longer.
:thumbup:

It's funny that a friend and I were wondering what formula replaced from when we were kids? I thought cow's milk, maybe, unless the child was intolerant of it, then it was goat's milk, maybe. You answered the question with that picture.
Those were probably provided to the hospital from Pet, Inc marketing.

I remember when our babies were born, we were given free formula.

In third wold countries, there was a scandal decades ago of formula manufacturers providing "free" formula to new mothers. Unfortunately, it was just long enough for them to stop lactating.
I'm not claiming infant formula is bad (we used it to supplement and we had a friend who's son refused to breast feed), but there is a HUGE marketing push in hospitals.

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen a variety of home recipes for making formula. I hope any mom who consider making their own formula check with their pediatrician first.

Let the judging begin. It's so easy for people/celebrities to open their mouths - not everyone walks in the same shoes/lives in the same environment.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's so easy for people/celebrities to open their mouths - not everyone walks in the same shoes/lives in the same environment.
Exactly. I don't care the choice. Our daughters used formula. I just noted that the posted photo had Pet Evaporated milk printed on the form. When you get something "free", you are the product. Even in the 1960's.