• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Avid bikers, I need your suggestions

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
DD said SIL just got new road bike. She suggested we look for biking gear for Christmas presents, aka padded shorts. He's very fit Army guy. Has lower back problem from jumping out of perfectly good planes.

Got suggestions?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Is it a pedal bike or motorcycle ? When I hear road bike I think of my BMW GS1200 or a Harley.

Either way, an external sound system like a bluetooth bike speaker is on my wish list.

Bill

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Avid cyclist here.

Are you looking for recommendations for specific brands of bike shorts? FYI the pad in bike shorts is called a chamois which is pronounced shammy. Bike shorts are a very personal thing, the best ones are discovered by trial and error and preferences are pretty unique to the individual. It’s hard to buy bike shorts for someone else. Of course you might be game for being part of that trial and error process. But be aware you might buy him $100 bike shorts only to find he discovers those are the brand/model of shorts he can’t wear.

Or do you want recommendations for other bike related gift ideas?

Do you know what his cycling inclinations are? Does he just want to noodle around? Get hardcore workouts done? Participate in endurance events? Race? Where does he live?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They make these fancy bike monitors that track everything you're doing. I don't know much about them--I met a guy a few years ago who had a super-fancy monitor and he was telling me all about it. I think they've come down in price. Here's a very basic article.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
My brother gave me a new pair of padded biking shorts that he liked, but I did not like them at all. For comfort, I prefer a narrow, gelled seat. I did have a large, wide seat, but as much as I sweat, there was too much friction with the sides of the seat, and I was more prone to get a rash. It's not as likely to happen with a narrow seat.

I've put many miles on bikes since I retired, and here are some on the accessories I'd recommend. The ones related to safety are listed first.
  1. rear view mirror
  2. front and rear blinking lights
  3. bell
  4. puncture resistant tires
  5. water bottle holder
  6. kickstand, rear stay
  7. toe clips/stirrups
  8. back rack
  9. back bag
  10. gel seat
  11. odometer/computer
I tried several apps for planning and tracking my rides. By far, the app I like best is the free RideWithGPS. You can get a premium version with more features, but I don't really more than the free version.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
DD said SIL just got new road bike. She suggested we look for biking gear for Christmas presents, aka padded shorts. He's very fit Army guy. Has lower back problem from jumping out of perfectly good planes.

Got suggestions?
Yeah, you are going to need more hints. Does he want a computer? I loved mine!

Agree about the rear view mirror, but my fav is the $5 one I picked up at Walmart. I had cyclists notice it and ask me about it.

My kids bought me a new set of gloves one year. I love those. My mom bought me a beautiful jacket, but I've never worn it.

I know from being a golfer, too, there's lots and lots useless gadgets designed to be given a gifts.

Probably the best idea might be a gift certificate for his Local Bike Shop :) I've spent as much there accessorizing my bike as I did on the original purchase. I took my kid's bike, which I bought him a few years back, over to his Local Bike Shop to get road ready again the right way. It was $150 but worth every penny to have the bike ready to ride.
I headed to my Local Bike Shop here to pick up a new pair of shoes.

Brett

Reaction score
I need a rear view mirror but there's only so much you can put on the handle bars :confused:

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Probably the best idea might be a gift certificate for his Local Bike Shop :)

I'm a casual trail rider and can't agree with this more. So many accessories are driven by comfort/need that you have no idea about. If he's doing road riding I've seen some lights (front & rear) that I've wanted to stop and tell bikers are useless and they were hardly noticeable and others that they were great and I noticed from a great distance. Anything like seats/padded shorts/clothing may or may not be what he wants. Most serious road bikers aren't looking for racks/bags as they are trying to keep their bikes as light as possible. I'd venture a guess that if someone bought me a gift for my bike use there would be at least a 85% chance I'd want to return/exchange it. One of the best things I've bought for my bike is a $10 bell I can use when coming up behind people walking on the trail I ride on. Many people comment on how nice it is. I found it in a small bike shop in Scotland that we rented bikes from while traveling.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I need a rear view mirror but there's only so much you can put on the handle bars :confused:
With brakes, shifters, computer, blinker, and bell, the handlebar does get crowded. The mirror I got attaches to the end of the handlebar after you take off the cap.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
With brakes, shifters, computer, blinker, and bell, the handlebar does get crowded. The mirror I got attaches to the end of the handlebar after you take off the cap.
I think that's how mine is, too!