• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Avenue Plaza Observation

RRedlich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Vero Beach
DVC Saratoga Springs
Wyndham Avenue Plaza
Wyndham La Bell Maison
Wyndham Bentley Brook
Wyndham Kingsgate
Charter Club, Marco Island
We are just finishing up our yearly 10-night stay here at the Avenue Plaza and wanted to share some observations and concerns:

1). The "shark fest" including concierge. There are usually two-to-three people behind the concierge desk that don't even help owners with such things as making change. They're constantly on their phones and having their own coffee klatches. They always direct you to the folks that provide check-in and check-out. The real "sharks," i.e., the sales staff, strut around the resort as if they own the place. They barge-in on the social events (consuming food and drink) even if they're not presenting. They were constant pain in ass with the owner updates despite our desire not to do so. What in "we are happy with what we have" don't they understand? Maybe their cheap suits are cutting off oxygen to their brains...

2). Things seemed to have fallen part since our last stay in January. There are only three washing machines in Room 202 and one of them was broken during our entire 10-day stay. We had to use the laundry room at 6:00am to get laundry done. Also not working the entire time we've been here was the third elevator. This caused major delays in waiting for the elevator. We also suspect that the maintenance staff has the ability to override the elevator for their own use. For example, there were a handful of times that the elevator bypassed the lobby to the basement on its way down. The Garden Room looks as if they pieced together random pieces of furniture and the drop ceiling looks awful. The pool was unavailable a couple of times due to green water. From what we understand, there was a SNAFU in purchasing the correct voltage controller for the filter system. In our room alone, the bathroom sink and toilet tank were very loose. We took the initiative to appropriately tighten them down. The A/C unit needed attention which was promptly fixed. The room wasn't even properly equipped as we were missing the standard items such as paper pads, shampoo, etc. When we asked about paper pads at the front desk, they looked around and we were told that they are out. We suspect the "sharks" usurpt all of them an someone forgot to order more. The bottom shelf of the dishwater was not level as it wouldn't stay out to load dishes.

3). Vermin. We talked to one owner who saw a rat parading around in the courtyard and we actually saw it a few days later by the pool.

Despite all this, we do appreciate the rest of the hotel staff especially the bellmen and security. We rented bikes for a week and the security staff was always there to let us in-and-out of the secured area where we stored the bikes. The bellmen (especially Herb) always greeted you with a smile and a handshake along with taking to you as if we were family. We always look forward to seeing him while we are here.

We always prefer to stay at the Avenue Plaza since it's located in the Garden District and being centrally located between the French Quarter and Uptown.

Diplomacy

Reaction score
Hey, I just finished my 12 night stay at the avenue plaza (1st through the 12th, so we were there at the same time)... First time, too... And I must say, I thought everything went fine...

3. Are you really blaming Wyndham for a rat being outside? IN NEW ORLEANS? I think you should just be thankful that you didn't spot it swimming inside the pool. They do that down there.

2. I agree that the washing machine was broken... but did you actually try waiting for a washer? There is a TV there. I was able to finish my laundry by a reasonable hour, though the ordeal took about 3 hours total.

1. I have never, ever been in a hotel where the concierge "made change." Concierge is for things like scheduling shows, making reservations, getting directions, calling taxies, scheduling wakeup calls, getting you fresh towels, (and at this particular hotel, talking to you about how great their check-in process is, and scheduling you for your complimentary in-room sales pitch...) etc, etc, etc. That's just what they do.

That being said, I stopped calling down because every time I told the concierge "I need my car in 10 mins" The car was never pulled and it usually caused mass confusion among the valet staff... I also asked for fresh towels and TP (they were out) they promised to have someone bring it up... Nobody brought it up. So I will admit that concierge sucks at their job... Just that your criticisms seem misplaced.

Last edited:

RRedlich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Vero Beach
DVC Saratoga Springs
Wyndham Avenue Plaza
Wyndham La Bell Maison
Wyndham Bentley Brook
Wyndham Kingsgate
Charter Club, Marco Island
1.) To be honest, I do find it shocking that rats freely run across the pool deck while guests are sitting there. Even more shocking is the "oh well" attitude that the resort had to it being reported. While NOLA is known for pests, a better effort should be made to ensure the guest exposure is minimized. I do not go on vacation to have a rat crawl out from under the chair I am sitting in. I have vacationed at this resort 3 times a year for many years and this was shocking.

2.) Perhaps my desire to get change is misplaced but do you really think that 3 women talking on their cell phones and having private conversations at the front desk is appropriate or appealing to the guests. Fair enough that they can't provide change but what about acknowledging the guest, engaging the guests in a manner other than scheduling the meeting with the the marketing department. Upon exiting the elevator you are greeted with the total disregard for the guest. "Concierge is for things like scheduling shows, making reservations, getting directions, calling taxies, scheduling wakeup calls, getting you fresh towels, (and at this particular hotel, talking to you about how great their check-in process is, and scheduling you for your complimentary in-room sales pitch...) etc, etc, etc. That's just what they do."... Unfortunately the only thing on the list they did was try and schedule the sales pitch. Getting a taxi, directions, or supplies was impossible... it would have interrupted their personal phone calls.

3) Yes, the laundry was that inconvenient and sitting in the laundry room for 3 hours watching TV is not my idea of a vacation.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
1.) To be honest, I do find it shocking that rats freely run across the pool deck <snip>

2.) Perhaps my desire to get <snip>... a taxi, directions, or supplies was impossible... it would have interrupted their personal phone calls.

3) Yes, the laundry was that inconvenient and sitting in the laundry room for 3 hours watching TV is not my idea of a vacation.

Valid concerns. And that is WHY the resort has a manager ... and I do HUNT managers (all 3 of them if I get unhappy enough) down when the staff is having a better vacation at MY resort than I am.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spent some time at Avenue Plaza and my experience was nothing like the op's

The "concierge desk" is not strictly speaking a concierge desk, rather its an extension of the sales force. These are the folks that at another resort would be handling the phony parking passes and signing you up for a sales presentation. I agree that they shouldnt be behind the front desk, its just confusing to folks that dont know their real purpose. They are nice however. I got a nice good morning or good evening Mr Parise, every time I passed by.

This place used to be called the Avenue Plaza Resort and Spa, and until recently most of the first floor above the Lobby was devoted to the spa... now its closed and the space has been converted to sales. There are a now a lot of salespeople here. . My problem however is different than yours... Im upset that they wont meet with me. and I have something I want to do. I finally got someone to talk to me, told them what I want to do (trade in a few Avenue Plaza weeks for CWA points) and she left to check it out and never returned

The pool was clean for my visit and I didnt see any rats

The managers name is Ladd Marks

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spent some time at Avenue Plaza and my experience was nothing like the op's

The "concierge desk" is not strictly speaking a concierge desk, rather its an extension of the sales force. These are the folks that at another resort would be handling the phony parking passes and signing you up for a sales presentation. I agree that they shouldnt be behind the front desk, its just confusing to folks that dont know their real purpose. They are nice however. I got a nice good morning or good evening Mr Parise, every time I passed by.

This place used to be called the Avenue Plaza Resort and Spa, and until recently most of the first floor above the Lobby was devoted to the spa... now its closed and the space has been converted to sales. There are a now a lot of salespeople here. . My problem however is different than yours... Im upset that they wont meet with me. and I have something I want to do. I finally got someone to talk to me, told them what I want to do (trade in a few Avenue Plaza weeks for CWA points) and she left to check it out and never returned

The pool was clean for my visit and I didnt see any rats

The managers name is Ladd Marks

I suffer a similar fate every time these days. The faces fall when they find my name on the "naughty" list and snatch back the package with the card for the DVD rentals. Like you I am interested in speaking to them about something but I can't get past the bouncers.

I'm surprised they let Linda in.

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
Best room locations

4-6 of us TUG ladies will be there in May, using Wyndham and Worldmark. Any suggestions on what rooms to request. We all have studios.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
4-6 of us TUG ladies will be there in May, using Wyndham and Worldmark. Any suggestions on what rooms to request. We all have studios.

there are no studios on the St Charles Ave side of the building so thats out

some of the studios have a king bed and some have 2 queens. so if you have a preference ask for what you want

The only other consideration might be the elevators. Ive heard people complain that you can hear them when in an adjacent room. It wasnt a problem for me last year when I had that room, I slept like a baby

Also one of the elevators has been out of service for a while and it makes for some long waits. Last week I was on the second floor and discovered the "back" elevator. It only serves the lobby, 1st floor and 2nd floor. So if you have a room on the second floor it almost becomes your private elevator. except you may have to ride with the sales staff, their offices are on the 1st floor

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they let Linda in.

I hide well. Actually, the hang-tag gang could care LESS about who I am .. they get paid for the percentage of people who GO to the "Owners' Updates" ... so once I sign in "upstairs", they are in the "loot" by making their numbers.

Only the newbies or the people who WANT to become part of the sales force, follow the corporate line. And I partial "hidden" on their sheets ... different addresses, common name, multiple member numbers, lots of fixed weeks (not on any member number), etc.

Some figure it out when the Front Desk staff gives me the BIG WELCOME and greet me as I walk in the Front Door ... then I just say, "this is my home resort and I have some fixed weeks here".

I have messed it up a few times when I am tired by say "What's the loot?" or "Breakfast? Really? Is it wrapped in plastic?"