• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Availability of Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel, Ca.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I have had a request in place for the Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel for about a year. The date range is huge but I'm not getting any hits. My deposit was a high TDI Marriott 1 BR. I requested a 1 BR. I requested a lot of shoulder season dates and virtually no higher demand weeks. I've exchanged into this location several times in the past but never had to wait this long. I'm wondering if there has been some sort of "systemic" change - - like Hyatt has cut deposits into Interval or someone fiddled with the trade/exchange values.

I would appreciate if others who have first hand experience trading into Carmel recently can opine.

If the chances of my exchange is very poor, I will probably add some "easy" locations in areas that are a bit over built with timeshares.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that I have had the same issue with Hyatt High Sierra in Interval. I used to routinely get High Sierra winter weeks through Interval until the Welk purchase and I have not had 1 match since then. My understanding is that Welk now has priority for Hyatt trades over all others -- and that may be impacting trades in addition to less inventory. Sorry if it wasn't specific to Carmel, but thought this might be a similar issue for you.

-ryan

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
My deposit was a high TDI Marriott 1 BR.

TDI doesn't seem to matter with Hyatt. Hyatt owners typically do not use II. So Carmel owners are using their points at other Hyatt resorts. Therefore only Hyatt owners see the Carmel units -- they aren't deposited into II for internal Hyatt trades. I never have problems getting a Carmel week. But I pay significantly more of my annual points to do so. (Internal Hyatt exchanges are easy but take considerably more points -- mud season in Colorado being the exception.)

Same with Maui. Pulling a HKB week using II would be like hitting a jackpot at a Las Vegas slot machine. The odds are very, very low.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TDI doesn't seem to matter with Hyatt. Hyatt owners typically do not use II. So Carmel owners are using their points at other Hyatt resorts. Therefore only Hyatt owners see the Carmel units -- they aren't deposited into II for internal Hyatt trades. I never have problems getting a Carmel week. But I pay significantly more of my annual points to do so. (Internal Hyatt exchanges are easy but take considerably more points -- mud season in Colorado being the exception.)

Same with Maui. Pulling a HKB week using II would be like hitting a jackpot at a Las Vegas slot machine. The odds are very, very low.
I guess that in the past I was lucky. I've had 5 ii exchanges into the Highlands Inn in the past 10 years. The last one was December 2021. But now a "dry spell". I think that my low probability of getting an exchange into the Highlands even got worse as @sjsharkie had mentioned about Welk getting preference. I recently added the two timeshares in Pacific Grove but I think that there aren't a lot of units, so my chances aren't a whole lot better.

Thanks for commenting.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I guess that in the past I was lucky. I've had 5 ii exchanges into the Highlands Inn in the past 10 years. The last one was December 2021. But now a "dry spell". I think that my low probability of getting an exchange into the Highlands even got worse as @sjsharkie had mentioned about Welk getting preference. I recently added the two timeshares in Pacific Grove but I think that there aren't a lot of units, so my chances aren't a whole lot better.

Thanks for commenting.

With maintenance fee increases, any trade in II is trading down. Owner's don't want to pay $2600 in maintenance fees and trade for a place that costs $800 a year. Everything is working against trading in II of late -- probably by Marriott design. If they're not deliberately weakening the Hyatt brand to make MVC look better, they're sure doing a dandy job doing so accidentally.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

Thanks for commenting.
Pacific Grove Plaza only has 16 units (8 1-bedrooms/ 8 2- bedrooms) and even as owners we are having a difficult time getting our preferred unit for our exchange week. We will be using our unit this year but if you are interested, we may be able to do a direct exchange with you in 2025. We book our time in Sept/Oct. when the weather is perfect for walking. The units are in the process of updates but the timeframe to complete it is minimal (the resort is only down 2 weeks a year for maintenance during March)

Pine Acres Lodge is a bit too rustic for us and not in town. You might want to try Marina Dunes since they have more units available.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza only has 16 units (8 1-bedrooms/ 8 2- bedrooms) and even as owners we are having a difficult time getting our preferred unit for our exchange week. We will be using our unit this year but if you are interested, we may be able to do a direct exchange with you in 2025. We book our time in Sept/Oct. when the weather is perfect for walking. The units are in the process of updates but the timeframe to complete it is minimal (the resort is only down 2 weeks a year for maintenance during March)

Pine Acres Lodge is a bit too rustic for us and not in town. You might want to try Marina Dunes since they have more units available.
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, when I searched in the ii directory by resort name, and also using the map for the Monterey area, I could not find Marina Dunes. So, either ii's directory is messed up or it is no longer participating.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, when I searched in the ii directory by resort name, and also using the map for the Monterey area, I could not find Marina Dunes. So, either ii's directory is messed up or it is no longer participating.
Marina Dunes is a Worldmark property. The best way to get there is to book through Worldmark. We will be spending 4 weeks there this summer. :) I can be bribed. Worldmark has a few units and it is part of the resort managed by Sanctuary Resort Marina. It is right on the beach. https://www.thesanctuarybeachresort.com/?utm_source=google my business&utm_medium=listing&utm_campaign=visit website

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice resort.
I have stayed there once many years ago the first time I owned Worldmark. The rooms are basic, fairly small 2BR but it is prime real estate. If you rent through Sanctuary, it's about $500 a night for a studio/1BR. It is a good place to be to get away from desert summer heat.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have stayed there once many years ago the first time I owned Worldmark. The rooms are basic, fairly small 2BR but it is prime real estate. If you rent through Sanctuary, it's about $500 a night for a studio/1BR. It is a good place to be to get away from desert summer heat.
After SVC Vino Bello (Napa) left Interval, we started going to Paso Robles. There are no timeshares there that I know of but there are some nice hotels and B&B's. We were there in November and had a great time. I used Bonvoy points for the hotel.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After SVC Vino Bello (Napa) left Interval, we started going to Paso Robles. There are no timeshares there that I know of but there are some nice hotels and B&B's. We were there in November and had a great time. I used Bonvoy points for the hotel.
I do miss Vino Bello, it's a great resort. I haven't been to Paso Robles.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That are (supposedly) over 200 wine tasting rooms in Paso Robles. The wine tastings are less expensive than Napa - - in fact, there are a few that are free. And their wines are okay - to - decent.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for commenting.
You're not hallucinating :) I checked my history -- from 2013 (when I first started trading in Interval) to December 2020, I had multiple winter weeks (some prime holiday weeks included) that I annually (one year I had 3 winter week exchanges) exchanged through Interval. After that, no more -- with the II point values for Hyatt exchanges at the time I think owners found value in exchanging non-Maui weeks into interval.

Unfortunately, the Welk priority changes I think have had an impact on any slim inventory you might see... and now with the recent II point value increases for Hyatt that are now based on resort level and TDI, I think we will see even less. Maybe they will change the Hyatt for Hyatt restriction at some point (which would make sense given Marriott and Vistana are given highest priority for interval trades into their own brand), but I won't hold my breath.

-ryan

ScoopKona

Reaction score
That are (supposedly) over 200 wine tasting rooms in Paso Robles. The wine tastings are less expensive than Napa - - in fact, there are a few that are free. And their wines are okay - to - decent.

You're late to the Paso Robles party. When we started going there, there were 13 wineries. 13.

Now there are more than 200. Prices haven't become as nutty as Napa. But they have more than quintupled. We have a friend who is a vintner there . It's the same story as every other wine producing area. Wineries start out offering free tastings just to get people in the door. Tourists abuse the system until wineries are forced to charge more and more. (Every day we'll see a group that clearly just wants to get drunk at tastings.) Eventually the wineries charge more for tastings than they will for the same volume in a bottle. If the average person wasn't such a brazen mooch, we could go back to inexpensive tastings and the expectation that each guest will leave with a bottle or two.

You have to get very far off the beaten path to find a tasting room which still subscribes to the old business model.

(Wine tasting math: A bottle of wine is 750ml. Most places, you get roughly 50ml per tasting pour, with four or five pours. Five times 50ml = 250ml. So that's one-third of a bottle for whatever the tasting fee happens to be. In Napa, that averages $85 for a third-of-a-bottle of wine. In Paso, it's $30 or so. Pretty much every AVA these days, the cost of a tasting is more, by volume, than simply selecting a bottle of wine. So unless they have a logical "fees waived with purchase" policy, it's better to just buy a bottle of something you hope you'll like. It completely ruins the original idea of "try before you buy." But the economics are no longer even close.)