• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Availability for WKORV - 2 BD Ocean Front Deluxe

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
WKORVN is a great resort;

. . .

OV units are more isolated and look over green field. But will it stay green?

. . .

• Ocean view: Units are all on the north side of building 7 (69-84 I think?). They look across the 'open' area between WKORVN and Nanea. I worry about the 'open' space here...may not always be private, open or dry. Seem isolated to me.
. . .

I wouldn't really worry about the green field or "open" space as you call it. I believe it will always remain open and will stay green. In order to get the building permit for Nanea, Vistana had to dedicate the open space as a park, build restrooms and install an irrigation system. Additionally they were required to maintain the park.

I don't see Vistana/MVC going back on the contractural requirements.

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
I wouldn't really worry about the green field or "open" space as you call it. I believe it will always remain open and will stay green.

We've stayed on that far North OV side and really liked it. Its subjective. We enjoyed the view of the grass, trees and ocean/Molokai behind.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We've stayed on that far North OV side and really liked it. Its subjective. We enjoyed the view of the grass, trees and ocean/Molokai behind.

My friends recent stayed on north side of WKORN, and liked the openness of the green space. However, they said they would not choose that location again due to wind (as it comes from that direction w/o buffer due to green space), and smell from sewage treatment plant (also that side) that prevented them from enjoying the lanai. They have stayed in various locations at both WKORV and WKORVN.

Side note - I think it funny that people opine about OFD that have never stayed in one. Yes, the MFs are high (I agree since I have to pay these), but there are reasons for this (e.g. panoramic views, layout, light...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
My friends recent stayed on north side of WKORN, and liked the openness of the green space. However, they said they would not choose that location again due to wind (as it comes from that direction w/o buffer due to green space), and smell from sewage treatment plant (also that side) that prevented them from enjoying the lanai. They have stayed in various locations at both WKORV and WKORVN.
Side note - I think it funny that people opine about OFD that have never stayed in one. Yes, the MFs are high (I agree since I have to pay these), but there are reasons for this (e.g. panoramic views, layout, light...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We considered it, but as you say...the winds do blow that way.
I'm just wondering how the park will develop as well. I don't think Westin will renege, but I could see the park becoming a large park-ing lot and more.
Besides, if the water flows and the treatment plant overflows.....it does come right in front of the OV lanais.....

Our OFD finally, fully closed. Less than 30 days from submitted paperwork.
So excited. One look at the lanai and the extra windows (similar to the corner MM1 units...) was what really convinced us!

Can't use this Jan....too close for ressies and too expensive for SO's. We'll rent this year and occupy 2020.
Patience.

Can't wait!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@taterhed congrats on your OFD close. Your analysis was very helpful and should be a sticky.

We were interested in OF WKORV but the annual MF gave us pause because we did not want to only go to Maui every year and we did not want to have to rent it out. If this were our only timeshare perhaps we may have gone this route. Therefore EOY suits us but that's only avail on the North.

We are looking forward to our first stay in our WKORV/N OF unit next June. I am not worried about our view as we are diligent midnight reservers and owners get first priority. Besides there are many more decent WKORVN view units than there are TOTAL avail OF units in WKORV so the odds of a bad view or not getting our desired week are extremely low (it's all Hawaii anyway).

If we like it enough, we may opt to buy another EOY and can eventually peel that off later when we want to downsize the portfilio. This would give us more flexibility.

You can't go wrong with any of the OF units at either resort. The trade-offs depend on your personal situation.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
BTW.. I would be curious to compare net out of pocket cost after 10 and 20 years for all 4 OF/ OV unit types taking also into consideration the opportunity cost of the upfront cost given rising interest rates.

I believe all these units will hold their current resale residual value going forward except during a major downturn or if MVC does something stupid.

What's the going resale price for each unit type (not firesale).

WKORVN OF EOY = $12.5 k
WKORVN OF Ann = ???
WKORVN OV = ???

WKORV OFC = $35k
WKORV OFD = $???
WKORV OV =

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
WKORVN OF EOY = $12.5 k
WKORVN OF Ann = ???
WKORVN OV = ???

WKORV OFC = $35k
WKORV OFD = $???
WKORV OV =

Back in May/June, I would have guessed:

32-38
24 (we came in at 21)

Now? I'd add about 2k to those prices...waiting to see some ROFR numbers. Marriott (on the Marriott side) seems to be very aggressive.

My added point: Yes, you have opportunity costs etc.... but renting is almost prohibitively expensive....and very inflexible for the 'tough to get' weeks, and many cheaper purchases are not reliably rentable. If you loose one season due to unexpected events and can't rent, it's a big loss. Not necessarily limited to the above units. I'm scared to hear what the number would be....

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks @taterhead You got a smoking hot deal on your OFD. I would consider yours a firesale as your listed prices seem accurate.

The cost of renting is a reason we bought. I figured that if we rented 2.5 times that would just about pay for the capital cost of $12k (what we paid last year.)

Marriott will probably institute more aggressive ROFR as the equivalent WKORV EOY at MOC towers run $13.5 - 15k and they do not have SO type options.

Next step is to add the maint fees for 10 or 20 years and then NPV to compare coat of ownership. I am helping my college-age son move this weekend so will try when I get back in town unless someone wants to tackle in the meentime.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@vacationemery You messed up the quote there.....research how to use the +Quote buttons.....

I'll be glad to answer your question:
  • II is Interval International (II). It is the exchange system used by Marriotts (some Marriotts have dual affiliation with RCI (another exchange system), but not many).
  • Marriott Legacy weeks are (normally) assigned a 'season' for use. Basically, year-round, holiday, summer, spring/fall, winter etc.... Marriott designates these seasons by color (red, white, blue or platinum, silver, gold). Platinum or Red weeks are the most desirable based on demand. The holiday weeks units (52--Christmas/New Years or 'Ski-weeks' etc...) are super-high demand and may or may not have access to the other 51/52 weeks of the year. So, a 'Platinum' season Marriott unit can reserve all 52 weeks (or 51 if there is a special '52' week designation).
  • Marriotts are typically 'float' units, meaning that they can reserve within the assigned 'season.' There are some fixed I think, but not common.
  • There are some units in Florida that are part of the 'Florida Club' or FC. They have the ability to trade internally (at 6 mos out) to other FC Marriott units. Good if you want to see multiple locations in Florida.
  • The rest of the Marriott legacy weeks do not trade internally. In order to go to a different resort (Marriott or other), you must use an exchange system. Interval (II) is the system I'm discussing.
  • Marriotts in II have special preference (sometimes referred to as "MP" or "with/without Preference") when seeking to exchange to other Marriotts. Not all units available for exchange in II have this preference, but many/most do. The preference lasts from 1 to 24 days from the time the unit is deposited into II.
  • So......you can place an exchange request with II by either requesting (request first) an exchange before you 'give' them your week, or by depositing your week (deposit first) and then placing an 'ongoing request' for an exchange. Example, I deposit my Marriott Grande Vista 2br lock-off into II and request an exchange for Jan 2019 at any Marriott Hawaii resort, 2br. When the exchange is matched, II will assign me the exchange for a fee ($149 for Marriott to Marriott? can't remember, but less than $200). This happened this year. I deposited a 2br lock-off portion of my 3br Marriott Grande Vista, requested a Jan 2019 week at Marriott KoOlina and was assigned an exchange 2br unit.
So, what I'm saying is this: When you buy a legacy week, you can not directly book at other Marriotts, but you can easily exchange to another resort due to the strong exchange power of MP and the trading strength of Marriotts in general. Flexibility is the key. Multiple resorts and multiple weeks must be considered when making your exchange request. It has worked very, very well for me. It is also possible to re-exchange your resort week (if something better shows up) via eplus. But, this is too advanced for a short discussion. I didn't mention it, but you can also complete an "Instant Exchange" in II, but this requires much more time and patience. A story for another day.

I hope this helps. Read the stickies on Interval exchanges, and search for some "great exchanges with II" in the threads. You'll see.
Also, remember: If you buy a 'lock-off' capable unit, you can reserve, lock-off (master and studio) and then make TWO deposits into II for exchange. This is the 'two for one' that is commonly discussed with lock-off units and II and exchanges.

cheers.

Reaction score
This is great info, thank you! And congrats on your OFD price- we would have snatched that up in a second! Haven't seen anything CLOSE to that lately!

Reaction score
We want to thank everyone for the great information and insight- we really appreciate the extra effort and thought given to these posts. I'm not always sure how to reply to individuals just yet- but I'll learn- in the meantime THANK YOU for being a great resource as we pursue the timeshare world to figure out what works best for us. This is a great community, clearly, with good intentions and an interest in helping people find what works best for them to make it work for them. Thanks again! (and keep this great info coming, we're weighing all this info as we make a decision!)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Congrats. Consider joining TUG. It's the best $15 you'll ever spend.

To "PM" a member (now called 'conversations' ) just click on the ID/picture for the TUGGER you wish to contact. A box will pop-up, just click on the "start a conversation" link and it will open the conversations page. Similar to starting a private email-conversation/thread with the person. Multiple member can participate in this 'conversation' if you invite/message them or you can lock the conversation for privacy.

Try it, it's easy.

cheers.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
This is great info, thank you! And congrats on your OFD price- we would have snatched that up in a second! Haven't seen anything CLOSE to that lately!

Well, it doesn't cost anything to make an offer.......you just never know.

Reaction score
Here’s the link to the resort maps from the sticky thread.
The link contains the unit numbers and a link to view designations by unit number thread.
The Vistana Signature Network Disclosure Guide indicates that WKORV has 280 total units and WKORV-N has 258 total units.

Here’s the current summer 2019 availability and Easter week (which is late April next year) for Saturday checkin in a two bedroom.
NOTE: Since I’m not an owner, the only view types I can reserve using SOs is oceanfront and non-oceanfront so that’s what you’ll see below. You can’t tell how many units are still remaining (only low availability or none) and in what view type (Oceanview vs non Oceanview).

View attachment 7741

View attachment 7742

View attachment 7744

View attachment 7745

View attachment 7746

View attachment 7747

View attachment 7748

View attachment 7749

View attachment 7751

Thanks so much for pulling and sending all of this information. It clarifies just how much availability and non availability there is, since we have no idea or way of seeing it! Sooo helpful!!