• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Auto Insurance

fieroman

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen auto insurance climbing every year? I have full coverage on my cars & even though the cars get older & no accidents or ticket rates climb.I have to search for new insurance companies every 3 years & always save a lot of money.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the key is to shop around every few years. And keep your insurer up-to-date on any changes in your circumstances. Our insurer gave a rebate for most of last year.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I’ve had the same one for over 30 years. Price of everything goes up.

I’ve bumped my deductible up to $500 to save costs, pay about $1100/year full coverage including roadside assistance for a 2009 Ram truck and 2015 Honda CRV, 2 senior retired drivers, no commuting. Wawanesa.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’ve had the same one for over 30 years. Price of everything goes up.

I’ve bumped my deductible up to $500 to save costs, pay about $1100/year full coverage including roadside assistance for a 2009 Ram truck and 2015 Honda CRV, 2 senior retired drivers, no commuting. Wawanesa.

This is not a sales pitch, but you may want to look at the auto insurance offered through Costco.com. You can get a no hassle quote in just a few minutes. I found it was less expensive going through them. They do a bundled discount if you add home insurance, as well. Go to the Costco website and look under Services.

Dave

Brett

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen auto insurance climbing every year? I have full coverage on my cars & even though the cars get older & no accidents or ticket rates climb.I have to search for new insurance companies every 3 years & always save a lot of money.

I get home and auto insurance quotes every three or four years.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
For me, auto insurance has been quite stable (and even got a refund last year due to Covid), but homeowners and personal liability has been rising faster in the last few years.

I've been with State Farm for 35 years now with multiple policies (2 homes, 4 cars, personal liability, renters insurance), and every time I get quotes from other companies, they have not been competitive enough for me to change. As my agent once said, due to how long I have been a customer and the number of policies, I have every discount State Farm offers.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed with State Farm for 20 years and I had only price shopped once during that 20 years and it was with Geico and Liberty Mutual and they were much more expensive. At the end of 20 years, we saw a 30% increase in auto premium. I spoke with them and was told rates had gone up and there was nothing that they could do about it.

I checked with AAA and the cost was 30% less than State Farm for the entire bundle, plus much better coverage. AAA then pissed us off with an awful agent which we were assigned to. After fighting with bad customer service and wrong info on the insurance each time over a period of 3 years, we checked with Travelers. Travelers was cheaper than AAA by about 10% and we jumped ship last year. We tend to stay with the same insurers as long as we feel that the rates are reasonable. State Farm has been sending us mailers in the past year with the "we have reduced our rates". It is harder to get a new customer than to keep one. They lost us and we won't be back.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you, Dave. I am now insured with Costco at considerable savings and goodbye poor customer service with AAA.

sandy

Excellent! I'm glad it worked out for you. I've been very pleased with them, and can't beat the rates they charge.

Dave

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Dave, i didn't know they offered car insurance. :thumbup:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the tip Dave, i didn't know they offered car insurance. :thumbup:

Allen, it's through an affiliated company, "Connect" offered by American Family Insurance. Costs nothing to compare rates with your current policy. I've had them for a long time.

Dave

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, i already have my home owners through Connect. wonder if Costco could help me further with this ?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
OK, i already have my home owners through Connect. wonder if Costco could help me further with this ?

I'd call and ask. Can't hurt, right? :D

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Allen, it's through an affiliated company, "Connect" offered by American Family Insurance. Costs nothing to compare rates with your current policy. I've had them for a long time.

Dave
I have not called Costco but we have priced our insurance with American Family several times because we get our golf cart insurance through them and their rates were very high.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have not called Costco but we have priced our insurance with American Family several times because we get our golf cart insurance through them and their rates were very high.

I'll be curious to hear whether the auto or home rates through Costco are any better. If not, then please send me YOUR insurance info, so I can switch. :D

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be curious to hear whether the auto or home rates through Costco are any better. If not, then please send me YOUR insurance info, so I can switch. :D

Dave
Since we just switched to Travelers a year or so ago, I will need to let it ride for a couple more years before calling Costco. When we called Travelers', the first question was weather we had our then current insurance for more than 3 years, which we did. I suspect we need to ride out for 3 years before calling otherwise we would be classified as insurance hoppers and get higher rates. :LOL:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Since we just switched to Travelers a year or so ago, I will need to let it ride for a couple more years before calling Costco. When we called Travelers', the first question was weather we had our then current insurance for more than 3 years, which we did. I suspect we need to ride out for 3 years before calling otherwise we would be classified as insurance hoppers and get higher rates. :LOL:

That sounds reasonable. I'll just be curious to hear if it's lower, and if so, by how much. If you have time to kill, maybe call them anyway, to get a quote anyway. :D

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. I'll just be curious to hear if it's lower, and if so, by how much. If you have time to kill, maybe call them anyway, to get a quote anyway. :D

Dave
OK - I will report back. Maybe I will do it on Monday since I am visiting with my son and I will have some time to kill.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We just changed our auto and home policies to USAA. Considerable savings. We'd been with Farmers via a local agent for more than 45 years—actually started with his dad and then stayed when the dad retired. We'd been noticing that the agent was't really giving us any benefit; slow to respond to questions, not offering us special savings we could use, etc. With USAA, you have to have a military connection. My husband served for 4 years, which opened USAA to us and both our daughters. All of us saw a significant savings on home and auto and the company has a good reputation.

Mrbill83

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
The Key is to have a agent you can talk to - Your agent - insurance is not a can of soup you shop for - It's the second largest expenditure you make in your life time. Yes you may want to have them shop the market - all things change - BUT after the claim is not the time to find out you didn't know what you were doing.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We just changed our auto and home policies to USAA. Considerable savings. We'd been with Farmers via a local agent for more than 45 years—actually started with his dad and then stayed when the dad retired. We'd been noticing that the agent was't really giving us any benefit; slow to respond to questions, not offering us special savings we could use, etc. With USAA, you have to have a military connection. My husband served for 4 years, which opened USAA to us and both our daughters. All of us saw a significant savings on home and auto and the company has a good reputation.
USAA is not the cheapest, BUT it is one of the top in customer service and they won't screw the customer down the road.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I'd been with State Farm forever. Occasionally, I'd check around online to compare prices, but the difference was never enough to change. Last spring I priced policies again and found significant savings for auto with Liberty Mutual, so I changed companies. State Farm was still cheaper than anyone else for condo insurance. But then in the fall I had a question about my auto policy and got shuffled around trying to get an answer. That's when I discovered having a local agent is priceless. When my State Farm agent sent a letter this spring with the news about reduced auto rates, I emailed him to get a quote. With the discounts for having both home and auto policies and the new rates, the savings difference with Liberty Mutual disappeared. I'm done shopping around.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is not a sales pitch, but you may want to look at the auto insurance offered through Costco.com. You can get a no hassle quote in just a few minutes. I found it was less expensive going through them. They do a bundled discount if you add home insurance, as well. Go to the Costco website and look under Services.

Dave
C'mon, Dave, your post should be deleted, we all know you are a "shill" for Costco! ;):banana:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
C'mon, Dave, your post should be deleted, we all know you are a "shill" for Costco! ;):banana:

Ha! Nope. Ever since my husband retired last year, I'm a free agent. LOL! :D

Truth be told, It's all selfish on my part. Now that I'm retired, I want to make sure my money is spent wisely. Insurance is one of those necessary evils of life, and I don't want to spend any more than I have to. If someone has a better deal than I do, I'd like to know about it. I am loyal to Costco's AFI "Connect" brand, so far, because it's less expensive than other companies I've looked into. But a bargain is a bargain. Find me a better price with a company as good, and I'm all in. :D

Dave

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
It’s called rate creep! Had USAA for 30 yrs and finally got tired of the game. Went with Liberty Mutual for a couple of yrs and they were doing the same rate creep game. Switched back To USAA and my rate for the first year was less than what it was when I had left with the same coverages! Then the rate creep set in when renewal came up. This time we switched to State Farm. Will wait and see what happens at renewal time. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it set in again, in which case I will shop again. I believe they rely on loyalty to bilk us in the long run. Well, I’m only loyal to my family, surely not an insurance company.