• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Australia Dec 2017 Advice?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hi. Just booked a cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney in Nov 2017, and looking to add a timeshare in Australia for visiting the Great Barrier Reef in early/mid December. Seeking advice!

At the moment I have II, though could (and have been considering) adding an RCI account. There seems to be very few resorts in II for this region...does RCI have more?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wgaldred

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It might be worth looking at Dialanexchange. I think they started off in Australia so may have better availability.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Worldmark South Pacific and Wyndam Asia/Pacific each have a Resort in that area.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Worldmark South Pacific and Wyndam Asia/Pacific each have a Resort in that area.

Thanks. The resort looks like a good option, but reviews online state that they don't have any Internet in the units. I see one TripAdvisor report from June 2015 about this issue. Can this be true?

The last TUG review of this resort was Oct 2013 and says there was no internet in the unit (similar with a the next review from 2009).

I sent the resort an email inquiry - let's hope they respond.

fayhaff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely DAE have the best Aus inventory. We got a 2 bed unit at the Coral Coast Resort in Palm Cove - just North of Cairns for a week last Easter and had a fantastic week. The (adult) kids did a 3 day live aboard dive trip before we arrived and then we did day trips to the rainforest, waterfalls and gorges, and a day out snorkelling on the outer reef from Port Douglas, and a day in the Daintree Reserve - all amazing!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Note that GBR is a long trip from the mainland. If you are really wanting to dive and see the GBR you may want to consider a liveaboard. Or stay in Hamilton Island area (south end of the GBR) where you are closer to the reefs.

There are timeshares in Cairns and Brisbane. There are not many near Sydney.

I did stay at the worldmark in sydney last year, booked through Wyndham.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Envy... :) Enjoy! I don't have specifics about the Worldmark and Wyndham there, but way Worldmark works is that you have to pay for Internet access unless you buy from the developer. Did the reviewer mean that there was no internet for free? That is been the most common complaint for people exchanging into Worldmark. I have no issue paying for it, it is part of what makes Worldmark MF relatively low. I have been to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Whitsunday islands several times but I never had the desire to go to GBR from there. I am too chicken...

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I see these two all the time in II.

Location is great! Walk to a lovely beach area with many restaurants. Halfway between Cairns and Port Douglas.

We stayed at the Worldmark in Cairns and it was not the best location. South of Cairns City. Nothing nearby. Far from most of the Barrier reef trips in Port Douglas

The Sebel Palm Cove Coral Coast
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
NPC
icon_premier_small.png

The Sebel Palm Cove Coral Coast is a tropical paradise dotted with outdoor cafes, restaurants, bars, boutique shops, and convenience stores. Located between Cairns and Port Douglas, the club apartments are situated just a short stroll from a palm-fringed beach. This unspoiled spot lies parallel to the Great Barrier Reef and is within easy reach of the renowned Daintree rain forest and Atherton Tablelands.

Coral Coast Resort Palm Cove, Accor Vacation Club Apartments
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
NPA
icon_premier_small.png

Overall Rating

| 133 Member Reviews

Coral Coast Resort Palm Cove, Accor Vacation Club Apartments comprises 20 spacious apartments near the Great Barrier Reef, 30 minutes from Cairns. Located a short stroll from the beach, and close to the boutiques, bars, cafes, and restaurants of Palm Cove Village, this complex has swimming pools, a sports centre, tour desk, and gym, and offers easy access to a golf course. An airport shuttle is available.

NEW MEMBER RESORT

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Envy... :) Enjoy! I don't have specifics about the Worldmark and Wyndham there, but way Worldmark works is that you have to pay for Internet access unless you buy from the developer. Did the reviewer mean that there was no internet for free? That is been the most common complaint for people exchanging into Worldmark. I have no issue paying for it, it is part of what makes Worldmark MF relatively low. I have been to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Whitsunday islands several times but I never had the desire to go to GBR from there. I am too chicken...

I contacted the Wyndham resort. They don't offer internet at all. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colamedia

TUG Member
Reaction score
December is hot and humid in December, tropical wet season. Also a slight concern early December is Schoolies, sort of Spring Break, it's more of an issue further south where there is better weather but there is a general increase of drinking teenagers celebrating end of school everywhere (drinking age is 18 years) If your cruise is a repositioning cruise is to get the ship available for the start of the Australian school holidays season.

Australia doesn't have a well established timeshare system. The 2 big ones are Worldmark/Wyndham (through RCI) and Accor (through II) almost anything else will be 'cheap and cheerful'. The Reef is a long way out from Cairns, even the big snorkeling day trips leave from Port Douglas north of Cairns where the Reef is closer to the coastline. Port Douglas and Palm Cove are well worth considering.
Avoid staying at Worldmark/Wyndham Trinity Links, it is so far out of Cairns it's not covered by most 'the tour will pick you up from your accommodation'. It's also mainly privately owned condos, so minimal services (this is probably the no internet one?), no nearby food etc.

It is the wet season around Cairns, so tropical storms every afternoon are normal in December, usually just a big downpour then stop, (like Florida) but occasionally a big storm/cyclone (hurricane) will occur (like Florida)

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Several years ago we stayed at Worldmark Trinity Links in Cairns. We enjoyed it (I think my review is on TUG), but it was definitely not a gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, nor was it near any beaches. To see and dive the Great Barrier Reef without staying on a liveaboard, we took a cruise on the Captain Cook Reef Endeavor. We loved it!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
I just checked with DAE- they have only studios for anything in Port Douglas or Cairns and those are rentals, nothing to trade. This is for next July.
anita