• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Attorney Referral in Playa Del Carmen, MX

Jerbark

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a vacation membership with Sandos Int'l. in Playa del Carmen. Before we signed up, we negotiated some very good terms which we had written into the contract. After nine years, the resort has decided that they can no longer afford to honor the contract, so they've just unilaterally cancelled it! They said they were going to send us cancellation paperwork and a "partial refund", but after almost 2 mos and several follow up emails from me, we've received nothing except the notification that our membership is cancelled effective immediately. We have never violated our contract and our maintenance fees are paid through the end of this year, so this is beyond illegal and ridiculous.

We paid a substantial amount for this membership. Even though this is a Mexican contract for 25 years, we have an option to extend it for another 25 years (just ONE of the many things we negotiated), so teh contract is quite valuable and we're not willing ot just walk away without a fight.

I've contacted the Profeco's office, but it's taking a long time and so far they've been little help so I'm wiling to spend a few dollars and hire an attorney to represent us. However, that's easier said than done and I'm having trouble finding a contact for a LOCAL attorney in Playa del Carmen who speaks decent English.

Can anyone in the TUG group help me? Do any of you know people who live full time in Playa who might be able to refer me to a good attorney?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!
Jerolyn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I understand that you feel you got ripped off, but it doesn't make sense to spend more money on this.

I don't believe you have any chance of winning a lawsuit in Mexico and it's going to be expensive.

Why would you want to continue to be affiliated with a corrupt company?

Be glad it's gone!

Important: You are very likely to be contacted by assorted scammers now, that will solve all your problems for an upfront fee - DON'T do it - it's another scam.

Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you decide not to follow Denise's advice (which is excellent; you simply have no idea how long things drag out in Mexican courts, and that, of course, equals significant money), you can go to TripAdvisor.com

At the top of the screen, you'll see spot that says "More" Pull down that menu, and click on "Travel Forums." Go to the Playa Del Carmen forum. There is probably a local expert that monitors that forum. If the person lives in the area, possibly you could get a reference if you send a private message to the expert; you do that by clicking on the expert's name or picture.

If you want to fight the issue, Profeco's office is probably your best bet: they know how to deal with timeshare companies, and they won't charge you to do the work.

No matter how you decide to proceed, do not lose sight of the fact that time moves slowly in Mexico, and perhaps the slowest institution they have is the Mexican court system.

Last edited:

Jerbark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion

Pat,

I appreciate your suggestion - I hadn't thought about the Trip Advisor option!

Cheers,
Jerolyn

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Let me get this straight... You want to sue them so that you can continue to pay them money (maintenance fees) every year? :confused: Take Denise's advice.

Kurt

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Let me get this straight... You want to sue them so that you can continue to pay them money (maintenance fees) every year? :confused: Take Denise's advice.
Kurt
Sounds like they want to have the 50 year contract they negotiated so as to spread out their "substantial amount" paid upfront over those 50 years.

Many people here argue that the upfront payments to developers for weeks/points should be amortized over 40-60 years, so seems par for the course.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

buceo

Reaction score
Makes sense to me to try and keep something you know you want.
I agree the playa.info forum is the place to ask.
A quick search brought up this firm in Playa, informative web page, in English.
http://chflawyers.com/about-calderon-associates/
Here in the US I have paid for initial phone consultations, time and money (little, like $150) well spent.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried you local bar association? Maybe they have links to mexico. Never know, but they would be reliable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jerbark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phydeaux and Glenn,

Thanks VERY much for 1) UNDERSTANDING the issue - some apparently do not... and 2) for the suggestion to contact the Playa forum. I hadn't heard about this and I will definitely check it out.
Regards, Jerolyn

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand how you feel, but you have to understand, most here are into resale and, they strongiy believe resale is the only way to go, but only you can decide, how much those extra terms are worth to YOU. I would contact contact the Mexican agency mentioned, and you also have to decide how much you are willing bto spend. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot, they would not let you out of the contract if YOU wanted out. You still as a last resort have resale. I agree for you and hope it goes in your favor.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand how you feel, but you have to understand, and only you can decide, how much those extra terms are worth to YOU.

IMHO the OP made that decision when they negotiated a CONTRACT.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best of luck. As long as you are okay with spending thousands of dollars and a lot of time and effort to maybe "win" then I say go for it. We all need test cases.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
There is a link for a directory of attorneys from the Mexican Bar Association on this link. You can see complaints or actions against these attorneys with this link. You may need to left click and translate.

There is a "coyote problem" in regards to people claiming to be lawyers that are not actually attorneys in Mexico. There is a difference between lawyer and attorney and coyote. You need a real estate attorney. These people will be listed as members of the Mexican Bar Association.

http://www.bma.org.mx/index.php

This next link is a resource for U.S. law firms that includes areas of Mexico. It is the Martindale - Hubbel Law Directory.

http://www.martindale.com/Results.aspx?ft=1&frm=freesearch&afs=cancun

Good Luck

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bill - Thanks!

Please give us updates as you go through this process. We often get questions just like yours, and it would be very helpful to other owners in Mexico, to hear your story.

Jerbark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,

>>Please give us updates as you go through this process. We often get questions just like yours, and it would be very helpful to other owners in Mexico, to hear your story.

I certainly will - Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Good luck...it's going to take a lot of time, money, and patience to get through the Mexican court system.