• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Attended Spinnaker Resort Presentation

DesireMore

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

My girlfriend and I recently did a tour with Spinnaker Resorts. Of course we resisted the urge to buy at the presentation, especially with how rude the sales lady was after we said no. The maintenance fees did seem lower than at many other resort systems I've seen, and it didn't look like a bad buy overall if I weren't aware of resale timeshares and TUG. My question to you all would be what are the cons of buying resale with Spinnaker? I know some resort systems treat resale purchases like trash, so what are some of the cons with getting a Spinnaker timeshare resale?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
There are no cons that I can think of. Why would they treat you badly? I know that Spinnaker requires payment of MF's for at least a year out, maybe two, before they will allow you to transfer it to someone else. I know that because of the Branson Spinnaker resort that a friend owns.

Zekes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, Spinnaker
Friends of mine and family own many weeks at spinnaker. No problem being a retail owner.
Wife, 2 cousins and I are at Bluewater right now. As are some of our friends.
Deeded resorts like Bluewater require $1500 prepayment of future maintenance fees. Otherwise its all the same.
Great place and great service.

DesireMore

Reaction score
There are no cons that I can think of. Why would they treat you badly? I know that Spinnaker requires payment of MF's for at least a year out, maybe two, before they will allow you to transfer it to someone else. I know that because of the Branson Spinnaker resort that a friend owns.

What I mean is that some timeshare systems treat resale owners as second rate. For example, Westgate charges something in the ballpark of $600 to book a week outside of your season if you're a resale owner instead of the typical $59 for their retail owners. Just wondering if Spinnaker had any similar little "gotchas" if you happen to own a resale week. Overall I did like Spinnaker's no frills approach to timeshare and some of the lowest maintenance fees I've seen in a while.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't know if resale owners get low priced rentals. I don't think bluewater resale owners get the developer AC's in II (beyond the AC's everyone gets).

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Owner of resale spinnaker waterside for 15 years. I have a fixed week. No difference for staying in my week. All fixed weeks trade with Rci not II. Prepayment of annual fees is to ensure legit transfers vs someone transferring to shell corp. affects your cash flow, but it’s credited to your annual fees. Also have liked spinnaker management and relatively low annual fees for a hhi week.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Got my Spinnaker (Southwind & Egret) weeks from fellow TUG members (resale) and am treated the same as any other owner. The only “benefit” I have been told I don’t get is the reward points for sending referrals to take part in a sales presentation. I have never considered doing that so it is no loss for me. Transfer of the deed did require a prepayment of $1500 which was 100% applied toward the next 2 years MF so I was happy to do so.

Zekes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, Spinnaker
Half the maint fee of 3 bdrm at W.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

My girlfriend and I recently did a tour with Spinnaker Resorts. Of course we resisted the urge to buy at the presentation, especially with how rude the sales lady was after we said no. The maintenance fees did seem lower than at many other resort systems I've seen, and it didn't look like a bad buy overall if I weren't aware of resale timeshares and TUG. My question to you all would be what are the cons of buying resale with Spinnaker? I know some resort systems treat resale purchases like trash, so what are some of the cons with getting a Spinnaker timeshare resale?
Hilton Spent (Palmira)45 minutes and waked away with $200 quickest we ever got paid..Then did another $150 1 hour.(Spinnaker)...presently in Wmsburg spent 2 hrs $125 (Spinnaker) again, totally different pitch. In Hilton , Spinnaker guys says" how about an ROI of 15%?" ROI ( return on Investment)..Laughed and said "yeah right on a timeshare" Here in Wmsburg say they have an owner rental program, you give them other timeshares you own, their weeks and they (spinnaker) will give you guaranteed $800 for each week you give them..fact or fiction??

Jim McLaren

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a Cottages at Shipyard on ebay 16 years ago. Week 27 so I'm pretty happy. I have had no cons and got it for about 20% of the cost at Spinnaker. I even went to a presentation and the sales lady seemed very conspiratorial when I told her what & where I got it. "We just won't say anything to anyone else." I suspect you just got a bad/grumpy sales person. It trades OK in RCI & since it is Hilton Head SFX resorts will take it and I get two exchanges for one deposit.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton Spent (Palmira)45 minutes and waked away with $200 quickest we ever got paid..Then did another $150 1 hour.(Spinnaker)...presently in Wmsburg spent 2 hrs $125 (Spinnaker) again, totally different pitch. In Hilton , Spinnaker guys says" how about an ROI of 15%?" ROI ( return on Investment)..Laughed and said "yeah right on a timeshare" Here in Wmsburg say they have an owner rental program, you give them other timeshares you own, their weeks and they (spinnaker) will give you guaranteed $800 for each week you give them..fact or fiction??
Was the timeshare sale person lips moving and could they show you on type black & white legal paper; with Spinnaker letter head on it.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a Cottages at Shipyard on ebay 16 years ago. Week 27 so I'm pretty happy. I have had no cons and got it for about 20% of the cost at Spinnaker. I even went to a presentation and the sales lady seemed very conspiratorial when I told her what & where I got it. "We just won't say anything to anyone else." I suspect you just got a bad/grumpy sales person. It trades OK in RCI & since it is Hilton Head SFX resorts will take it and I get two exchanges for one deposit.
You have an excellent week for Hilton Head (week 27). Your week is a high demand vacation week for The Island.

Did you purchase come with a golf package on Shipyard Plantation?