• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Attended Owners Update at Kierland Yesterday

laurenb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas
Hi All,

Just wanted to share that I attended the "owners update" at Kierland yesterday. The gifts offered for attending were:
$100 Visa Gift Card
Free Spa Service at Agave Spa
6,500 SPG Points

I opted for the 6,500 SPG points. I went into the presentation with the mindset of, "I'd never buy and will be upfront, but will be warm and friendly as this person is just doing their job." The woman doing the presentation was not pushy but talked a lot. Some things of minimal interest but have been shared on this thread before (I think, I'm not super active on here)
-SPG/Marriott/St.Regis points all converging into one and everyone's points getting tripled on August 1st
-If you are staying at Princeville, you can use the St. Regis pool (had no idea somehow!)
-Sheraton Kauai being Villas property is happening
-New Mexico property will be converted to Villas, although I can't remember where she said
-Nanea last property, by law, to be built on Kaanapali

I was very upfront with original timeshare salesperson about how cheap I purchased my EOY Kierland Platinum Small 1br for with 67,100 StarOptions- $900 from another TUG member. She was kind and said, "Wow great deal! Good for you." She offered me, of course, some other options for expanding my portfolio as follows:
-Roll my current unit into an every year 57,000 Westin Flex for the West/Hawaii, with a credit of $8500 for what I already own, going toward the $20,000+ purchase, bringing my cost "down" to around $12,000
-Or, buy 31,000 Westin Flex every other year to "fill in the gap" for about $7500
-She discussed how cool it is that SPG members who are owners via Westin purchase can get 90,000 points for only $1875 and can do this up to 4x in order to get mileage and go to great destinations. She said 20,000 SPG points is equal to 25,000 miles.

Up until this point, I was totally fine with the presentation. Again, she's doing her job, I'm getting my freebie, it's all good, and she wasn't pushy. Then she says, "Let me make sure I'm giving you the right info. I've been gone for a week and sometimes things change."

She then brought in the closer, a woman named Donna. In front of me, she tells Donna the story of how I got my timeshare through Tug and that I did lots of research and was able to get my Platinum week for only $900 resale. Her and Donna sort of fake smiled and I could tell they were both holding back eye rolls. Donna then breaks down the exact cost of what the other woman presented me above. After she went through the 31,000 Westin Flex, I said, "I don't want to waste either of your time. Thank you for the presentation, I would just never want to buy something not resale and not through TUG." At this point Donna gets very rude and says, "I'm confused. Why are you here?" Ahahahahahahaha. Um, for my free stuff?

Anywho, she pretends to be in disbelief and continues on how as resale, I'll never get the airline points blah blah blah. And then she says, "Well you're unusual. Most people want to go places for cheaper." Again, hahahahaha.

All in all, not horrible, but Donna sure had some attitude! I got out of there in about an hour, mostly unscathed.

Hope this is informative and helpful for a somewhat newer TUGGER like me.

Happy Travels!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes, uttering the word "TUG" too loudly on the sales floor or in the group briefing will get you the same look as a plague victim in Merry 'ol England:

UNCLEAN! :eek:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Is this correct?
WPORV can use St Regis POOL?
Thought it was only beach.

That is also what I remember. IIRC the St. Regis pool isn't all that great but the beach is very nice!

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Just the beach. But can I say I thought the pool was looking quite aged. The chairs looked about 10 years old.
The Westin pool is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
6,500 points wouldn't be enough to make me want to even sit in the sales waiting area for five minutes. It's the "Donna" that always makes me upset, since by then I - like you - would have said the word resale over ten times, and they are trained to just express disbelief.

I think we need a new TUG badge for "surviving developing sales without buying" x times... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
6,500 points wouldn't be enough to make me want to even sit in the sales waiting area for five minutes. It's the "Donna" that always makes me upset, since by then I - like you - would have said the word resale over ten times, and they are trained to just express disbelief.

I think we need a new TUG badge for "surviving developing sales without buying" x times... :)

I had an update at Nanea in March and received 15,000 points and another one in June at Westin Riverfront and received 10,000 points. 10,000 points is now my new threshold to even consider an update (sales) presentation. I remember when they only allowed one bonus for presentations every 12 months. Boy has that changed!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I had an update at Nanea in March and received 15,000 points and another one in June at Westin Riverfront and received 10,000 points. 10,000 points is now my new threshold to even consider an update (sales) presentation. I remember when they only allowed one bonus for presentations every 12 months. Boy has that changed!

I think 1,000 points per minute should be the new rate... ;)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I reached out to The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas earlier today and, as most of us recall, this was their emailed response (emphasis added by me):

I am happy to inform you that we do provide a complimentary shuttle service to our beachfront sister property, the St. Regis Princeville at the top of the hour, every hour, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. As an additional benefit, you’ll have access to designated lounge chairs for Westin guests at the beach as well as beachside service. Our guests may also take advantage of special discounts while dining at the St. Regis or attending the spa, which can easily be charged back to your room here for added convenience. Please note that the pool and pool chairs are reserved for St. Regis guests only.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I reached out to The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas earlier today and, as most of us recall, this was their emailed response (emphasis added by me):

I am happy to inform you that we do provide a complimentary shuttle service to our beachfront sister property, the St. Regis Princeville at the top of the hour, every hour, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. As an additional benefit, you’ll have access to designated lounge chairs for Westin guests at the beach as well as beachside service. Our guests may also take advantage of special discounts while dining at the St. Regis or attending the spa, which can easily be charged back to your room here for added convenience. Please note that the pool and pool chairs are reserved for St. Regis guests only.

But of course. It's not like any of us really expect accuracy from the sales staff...except those who post on TUG that **their** rep is great. Any high pressure sales results in inaccuracies (some would say lies and misrepresentations, but let's not go there) and misplaced expectations which directly leads to disappointment and therapy. /sigh

laurenb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas

Ken- now that I’ve had this experience, it would take a lot more to get me there LOL

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)

I got 15,000 points for suffering through one of these at Nanea, so 6,500 just wouldn't be enough for me to suffer through that again. I'm skipping it next time. BTW, I had 2 closers besides the original sales person. Of course, I bought from the developer. However, Fool me twice: never.

laurenb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas
I got 15,000 points for suffering through one of these at Nanea, so 6,500 just wouldn't be enough for me to suffer through that again. I'm skipping it next time. BTW, I had 2 closers besides the original sales person. Of course, I bought from the developer. However, Fool me twice: never.

Wow, they brought in 2 closers for you! Lol. Scary! Yes, 6,500 will just not do it for me the next time.

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always found the sales staff at WKV to be very professional and respectful. Once they understand that we have owned three platinum weeks at WKV for ten years which we bought resale and use every year in March, they usually tell us that we know what we are doing and let us go early. This year, the closer person didn't even bother to make a Discovery proposal. We also own at Wyndham, and never do updates with them any more, because of bad experiences with sales people.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
You know...it's funny, but:

I've always told the sellers at the updates the truth. I'm a resale buyer. I'm more savvy than most owners I've met (and some of the sales team. I don't tell them that).
I tell them exactly what I might consider buying from the developer and why.
I then tell them what I would consider a reasonable amount for that purchase.
When they are done laughing or frowning, I explain that I was serious.
I ask any questions I have--which usually requires the sales person to get a closer or manager because they have no idea
I repeat my 'what I want' and questions to the Mgr/closer and we're done.

Most have been professional, perhaps curt, but never rude.
Lets hope they don't get rude in the future...I have no patience for rudeness or unprofessional team members.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - I think WPORV owners pay something like $100 annually for the shuttle and "privilege" of using the St Regis beach area.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
“Why are you here?”
Because it was advertised as an Owners Update...

I have used this response more than once.
Should have said “You invited me, remember?” I will NOT go to anymore presentations.
Silentg

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Should have said “You invited me, remember?” I will NOT go to anymore presentations.
Silentg

I find the presentations as easy points. It will be interesting to see if we (Vistana owners) start to receive 3X the usual amount of points for the presentations or if they go cheap.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I find the presentations as easy points. It will be interesting to see if we (Vistana owners) start to receive 3X the usual amount of points for the presentations or if they go cheap.

I would think they will start offering Marriott Reward Points for Vistana presentations after August 1st at whatever the going rate of MRPs for presentations is. The rate varies by location.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I would think they will start offering Marriott Reward Points for Vistana presentations after August 1st at whatever the going rate of MRPs for presentations is. The rate varies by location.

As a Vistana owner, my last two presentations have resulted in 15,000 and 10,000 Starpoints. I do not plan on attending a presentation in the future for less than 30,000 Marriott points. I wonder if any of MVC's locations have that as the going rate?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Anyone can use the St Regis Beach (all beaches are public) and anyone can use the St Regis elevator to access the beach - resorts must provide access to the beaches.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
As a Vistana owner, my last two presentations have resulted in 15,000 and 10,000 Starpoints. I do not plan on attending a presentation in the future for less than 30,000 Marriott points. I wonder if any of MVC's locations have that as the going rate?

Some do. I think on Maui, but I don’t recall others.

Mike