• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ATMs in Hong Kong and Philippines

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to Hong Kong and the Philippines and I plan on using ATM's. At least this is what I do in Europe. I understand in the Philippines you have to use more care and the ATMs are less abundant. Recently, I read an article that suggested taking cash and converting it there for a better bang for the buck. I have my doubts! Anyone have any experience with using ATMs in these places.

jimbosee

TUG Member
Reaction score
ATM'S Hong Kong and Manila!!

Hi Jimster,
jimbosee here,I have used ATM'S both in Manila and Hong Kong,over several years and have had no problems.Enjoy your trip Regards Jim Seedsman:hi:

jimbosee:hi:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes I have used ATM in Hong Kong as well. No problem what so ever...

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used ATMs in Hong Kong. I bank at Citibank and there were plenty of Citibanks over there, so there were no additional charges and the exchange rate was very good, much better than the currency exchange places.

The one thing I can caution you about is that some of the ATMs don't have the letters on the keypad the way ours always do--sometimes they have just the numbers, and sometimes the whole keypad is upside down from our layout, with the 123 on the bottom rather than the top. So be sure you know your PIN code as numbers, not as a word or as a pattern you hit automatically without thinking about it! This sounds stupid, but I remember my PIN as a word, and without the letters being there, I really had to stop and think hard about the numbers.

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know about Manila. Haven't been there for 20 plus years.

In Hong Kong, there is an ATM machine like every 50 yards or so. It is safe and easy to use, with choice of either Chinese or English.

In Hong Kong, I always rely on credit card and some a small amount of cash. You won't need cash unless you wander into small stores always exclusively for the locals.

I have an Octopus card for bus, ferry and subway (Metro) and for newspapers, drinks, snacks in convenience stores. You can use your credit card to top up your Octopus account, so very convenient. Now they put the Octopus software into watches and cell phones. If you see Hong Kongers waiving their watches to go through the subway gate, don't do it with your watch.

For Octopus card, see this: http://www.hong-kong-travel.org/Octopus.asp

Last edited: