• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Timber Lodge this week - any questions?

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weather is absolutely gorgeous - sunny skies with a few clouds, mid-60s temps, hardly anyone here. I have a two bedroom unit to myself, on the second floor facing the pool (not the location I requested, so I'll have to see how noisy it gets). The unit is pretty large, with the LR and main bedroom side bigger than the one bedroom unit I had last Nov. There's a lot of open space in the LR area...seems like it could use another chair or couch. Kitchen needs a colander, more cooking spoons/slotted spoons, frying pans, and bigger eating bowls. But at least this unit has a dvd player in the living room, which my Nov unit didn't have.

Already booked an appointment at the spa over at Grand Residence. I'll probably do the tour - found out my vacation advisor is going to be here next week, so I'll get to meet him too.

Let me know if you need any info while I'm here.

Pam

Steve

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer for info. I was wondering if the question about Marriott owners having to pay for valet parking was ever definitely answered. If an owner at a Marriott resort other than Timber Lodge trades into Timber Lodge, does he have to pay the daily fee for valet parking? I have read conflicting reports on this in the past.

I'm interested in trading into Timber Lodge, but I probably won't if I have to pay $14 a day(or whatever) for parking. Thanks for any info on this you can provide...and enjoy your vacation!

Steve

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I asked that question last time and the answer was that Marriott owners in general don't have to pay. When I stayed in Nov, it technically wasn't my owner's week (I split my summer unit and traded back into the off-season for a 1 bdrm and 2 bdrm), but I didn't have to pay for parking. That leads me to believe it's complimentary for Marriott owners in general, since the week was essentially booked through an exchange co. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I got conflicting answers on this question. I'll double-check again and see what comes up.

Unfortunately this is not a real vacation - I'll be working on my laptop next week (but hey, much better than being in the office!).

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be there next week and would like to know if you can suggest what room location you feel is best.

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
GaryDouglas's answer on your other thread is pretty accurate: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23985

I think location is really going to depend on what is most important to you. If you don't mind noise and like to people-watch from your window, ask for street or gondola facing. The mountainside part of the building faces construction of the newest phase, so you will get construction noise (I woke up to hammering and drilling at 7 am this morning, a Saturday). That side also overlooks the pool, which I imagine can get loud on a hot day when a lot of families are here (it'll probably be pretty quiet when you're here next week though). You can also hear music from Fire and Ice, which plays loudly until about 10 pm. The other side of the building faces the valet parking and Embassy Suites. While somewhat quieter due to less people and construction, there's a noisy bus that runs along that street periodically.

Buzzmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve said:
Thanks for the offer for info. I was wondering if the question about Marriott owners having to pay for valet parking was ever definitely answered. If an owner at a Marriott resort other than Timber Lodge trades into Timber Lodge, does he have to pay the daily fee for valet parking? I have read conflicting reports on this in the past.

I'm interested in trading into Timber Lodge, but I probably won't if I have to pay $14 a day(or whatever) for parking. Thanks for any info on this you can provide...and enjoy your vacation!

Steve

We stayed at Timber Lodge last October for 3 nights, We own at Ko'Olina, but were at TL on a preview package. When we checked out we were charged $14 per day for parking. When I told the front desk person that we were owners at another Marriott, they removed the charge.

We're staying at the Grand Residence for 3 nights next week (renting the room from Marriott directly in response to a postcard they sent us), and I'm hoping that flies again. :D

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do have to tell the front desk that you're a Marriott owner. When I checked in, they didn't even know I was an owner at TL and gave me the regular key cards (owners get different cards that have the 10% discount at Fire and Ice). There was no problem getting the correct card, but I had to ask for it. Let's see if they try charging me for parking too!

Steve

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Pam and Buzzmom. Just this morning I confirmed a 2 bedroom villa at TimberLodge for September. I'm looking forward to it!!!

Steve

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
pvangordon said:
...(not the location I requested....

Pam, how far in advance did you made your request, and who did you talk with? We are going up in Aug. and need to make our request.

Thanks

Steve B.

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made my request about 3 weeks ago, when I confirmed my res. If location is really important to you, you might want to make the request more than once and confirm it when you check in.

Both in Nov and this time I was directed to leave a message for the person who does room allocations. Last year he actually called me back and confirmed receipt of the request, but this year I didn't get a call. And of course, this time I didn't get my request filled. I probably could have said something when I checked in, but didn't.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
pvangordon said:
I made my request about 3 weeks ago, when I confirmed my res. If location is really important to you, you might want to make the request more than once and confirm it when you check in.

What number did you call? We will be checking it out in August.

I know, some of the rooms have balconies? I wanted to request one of those rooms. Do you know which ones do?

Thanks,
Tina

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I call the main number, then talk to the front desk to confirm my res, then they forward me to the room allocator (can't remember the exact term they use, but it's a specific person who's responsible for assigning rooms and it states this on their voicemail).

I can't recall which rooms have balconies at TL. I've never had one here, but they do have balconies at Grand Residence next door. Also, the newest phase of TL has some balconies (maybe the 3-bdrm units?). I'll confirm this when I talk to them later this week.

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - It's the "Rooms Controller" that assigns specific rooms to guests.

I asked at the front desk regarding parking. Apparently any exchanger (whether you own Marriott or not) gets free parking for the stay for 1 vehicle. Any additional vehicles (guests, etc.) are required to pay the parking fee. I think this fee is less than the normal guest fee of $14/day though (IIRC, it's like $11/day, but I'll confirm that).

They said that each MVCI property is able to set their own parking policies. For example, MGR next door is actually a different brand (although currently under the MVCI label) and charges parking fees for all guests. So it's good to double-check parking policies at each property you are staying at.

Finally, there are a very few number of units in the main TL building with balconies. You have to request them ahead of time; I imagine they go pretty fast to those who know about them. The ones I saw are facing the valet parking and bus depot side. For Phase 2, the 3-bdrm units have balconies.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
pvangordon said:
Finally, there are a very few number of units in the main TL building with balconies. You have to request them ahead of time; I imagine they go pretty fast to those who know about them. The ones I saw are facing the valet parking and bus depot side. For Phase 2, the 3-bdrm units have balconies.

Thanks.... I'll have to think about that. I'm not sure I want to be overlooking the valet parking or the bus depot side?? What do you think??

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not very picturesque or quiet (like I mentioned earlier, the buses can make a lot of noise on that side of the building). However, after being awakened by jackhammers, hammering, loud music, yelling, and other general noise on the mountainside this morning, the absence of a balcony on what is usually the most attractive side isn't bothering me at all. :)

Steve

Reaction score
Pam,

I'm sorry to hear that the peace and quiet of your vacation keeps being interrupted by so much construction noise. My understanding is that the new phase is opening in August. Does that mean that construction will be complete by then...or will it still be going on? (I'm just wondering for my September visit.)

Thanks,

Steve

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
It should be done by then (I was told September in a casual conversation with a staff member, so that's not official). For the most part, the building's up and it looks like they have fixtures inside. I wish I could get in to see the three bedroom units.

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correction - there are some balcony units overlooking the gondola and the pool/mountain. For some reason, I never noticed them before because there are so few of them. Unfortunately I don't think anyone of them is "perfect" with all the construction and other stuff going on. But hopefully those of you requesting these units will get to try them out.

The weather is fabulous today - 70s, sunny, and too warm for me in a t-shirt, jeans and sweatshirt!

Pam

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
pvangordon said:
Correction - there are some balcony units overlooking the gondola and the pool/mountain. For some reason, I never noticed them before because there are so few of them. Unfortunately I don't think anyone of them is "perfect" with all the construction and other stuff going on. But hopefully those of you requesting these units will get to try them out.

Thanks Pam.... We are going in August so hopefully, the construction noise will diminish a little. Hope you are enjoying your week there.

Are you eating out? Any restuarants you recommend? Are you doing any activities? I know you wrote earlier that you were working this week.

pvangordon

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - Sales rep told me today that Phase 2 is scheduled for July but occupancy will start probably around Sept. So hopefully construction will be completed by the time of your visit. Phase 3 is scheduled for 2008 and will be very similar to Phase 2 with three bedrm units.

I haven't gotten outside too much, other than a daily walk. I got dinner tonight at a new restaurant in the Village right near the ice skating area. It's called Kalani's and has a Hawaiian/Japanese theme (including sushi). The food was pretty good but it's a bit pricey. I got the shrimp won ton soup, two kinds of nigiri, and the coconut macadamia prawns.

By the way, if anyone wants current pricing, let me know - I got the list today.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
ciscogizmo1 said:
We are going in August .... Any restuarants you recommend? Are you doing any activities? .

We just got back. We had one of the best meals we have EVER eaten at Cafe Fiori. a 7 table Northern Italian restaurant about a 5 minute drive from Timber Lodge. Only one waitress when we were there...Joy. She is a wealth of information, both about the wine on the menu and things to do in the area,as she is a local, born and raised in Tahoe.

The chef is very inventive...wonderful food.

A bit pricey, but worth it. My wife and I always share. We had an appetizer, a salad, entre, bottle of wine and dessert for $80. (The wine was $26). Plus tip.

Jeff

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
To those that have bought at Timber Lodge:

I just bought a Summer Platinum 2 BR there last Wednesday, so I have until Wednesday to rescind. This is my first timeshare. I swore I would ONLY buy on the secondary market, and planned on buying for less than $15,000. (in Palm Desert, perhaps, or even an non-Marriott like the lock-out at Lawrence Welk)

So after the salespitch, I end up paying $31,500, including 110,000 incentive points.

I was sold on the value of trading this property due to the demand and the inability to build more timeshares there.

Do you agree? Is this a good first buy for me and would you have recommended I buy from the developer vs on the secondary market to save cost and points. (I realize that I could not deposit for points on the 2ndary market...but then I would have 2 weeks of vacations per year rather than jsut one)....Oh I am so confused

Please help as I am so nervous about this. I will return there occassionally. It is so beautiful and my brother lives in Oakland (we are in San Diego) so an easy jump following a visit to him. But we would likely split the lockout and trade more often...depositing EOY if I keep it and use the points.

Help!

Jeff

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
korndoc said:
To those that have bought at Timber Lodge:

I just bought a Summer Platinum 2 BR there last Wednesday, so I have until Wednesday to rescind. This is my first timeshare. I swore I would ONLY buy on the secondary market, and planned on buying for less than $15,000. (in Palm Desert, perhaps, or even an non-Marriott like the lock-out at Lawrence Welk)

So after the salespitch, I end up paying $31,500, including 110,000 incentive points.

I was sold on the value of trading this property due to the demand and the inability to build more timeshares there.

Do you agree? Is this a good first buy for me and would you have recommended I buy from the developer vs on the secondary market to save cost and points. (I realize that I could not deposit for points on the 2ndary market...but then I would have 2 weeks of vacations per year rather than jsut one)....Oh I am so confused

Please help as I am so nervous about this. I will return there occassionally. It is so beautiful and my brother lives in Oakland (we are in San Diego) so an easy jump following a visit to him. But we would likely split the lockout and trade more often...depositing EOY if I keep it and use the points.

Help!

Jeff

I'd rescind. And, spend more time reading the advice for Marriott timeshares.

Personally, for me I don't think of timesharing as an investment. I think of it more as a luxury. You can use points to your advantage but you gotta be really good at it.

I'd also buy where you want to go. There are plentity of cheaper timeshares where you can buy on the resale market and trade to a lot of places.

I do split our lockout a lot and I have gotten great trades in II with it. I've never converted to points

Good luck with your decision....

craftr

Reaction score
My husband and I own a direct purchase two bedroom Summer Platinum as well and are very pleased with the purchase. It is true that this will be one of the smallest Marriotts in the system and will probably not be as easy to trade into because of that. In addition, owners of Timberlodge usually like to use the property instead of depositing more often than not, so again, not as easy to trade into. Better to own. We like to points system with Marriott..... I will be using points to travel to Rome and Florence next year using a travel package.

You will be happy to know that we were able to deposit our week into II and obtain a trade into the Ko'Olina Resort on Oahu.

We also just purchased a Gold one-bedroom last November directly from Marriott........We love it there.

Hope this helps.