• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Massanutten now - need advice

brianbreck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
I have owned Eagle Trace for over 12 years. Love the resort as it is somewhat local, but not the weeks trading power I currently have.
Went to the owners breakfast on Tuesday and was shown Woodstone and Regal Vistas. After a long negotiation, final offer was Regal Vista, 1 unit, annual, 58,000 points, bonus RCI week for $10,000. I was extremely interested but could not close the deal on Tuesday (if I wanted to). They gave me until Saturday morning to come back and sign paperwork. I figured that this would give me some time to research while I was here and stumbled across this site.

My situation - over the years we have come to Massanutten numerous times and will continue to do so. We deposited our week with RCI a couple of times and have used the RCI bonus week several times.

While I can afford to pay monthly initially (and pay off completely within a couple years) I am not currently in a situation where I can swing a lot of upfront fees elsewhere.

They will also take Eagle Trace off my hands (another set of MF I wouldn’t have to worry about).

I do need to upgrade somehow as Eagle Trace units and trading power are not working for us.

Any and all advice is more than welcome. I have to either tell them to pound sand at 10:00 on Saturday or close the deal.

Thank you in advance.

BobDE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
You can get a Regal Vista for free. You may have to be patient to get what you want. Your Eagle trace is worthless, but you can give it away.

Sounds like you are new to this. You may want to visit the forum for new people: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/new-to-timesharing-look-here.17/

Any deal that they offer at Massanutten will be there later. Do not make the mistake of listening to their logic and sales pitch.

I have owned at Massanutten since 1991. I do love it there, but it is not the best trader.

Do a lot of research before making a decision. You can always "try before you buy" by renting. A timeshare can be good for you or your worst nightmare. It is not a decision that should be made without knowing exactly what you are getting.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I agree with @BobDE. There are a number of Regal Vista and Woodstone weeks available free right now on timesharenation.com and they cover the transfer to your name. Take your time and pick a good trading week (holiday or summer); I’ve had good experience using Woodstone as a trading week; I’m not convinced that Regal Vista is better for trading, though they are nicer units.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
Massanutten is one of the easiest places to get on a Last Call or Instant Exchange (RCI Points cheap week). I use to own at the Mountainside Villas there but realized that it was cheaper to just get a last minute week which was always available, than to pay maintenance fees. So I sold it even though I was happy with the week and the maintenance fees were cheap.
Now I avoid Massanutten because of the fees they tack on when you check in - about $60, I think.

brianbreck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
I understand and agree with everything laid out, but am a bit fuzzy on how getting one for free works, specifically making sure I am getting something that doesn’t have a lien or maintenance fees that have not been paid for years. Also, costs to transfer into my name and any separate costs to transfer into RCI.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Massanutten is one of the easiest places to get on a Last Call or Instant Exchange (RCI Points cheap week). I use to own at the Mountainside Villas there but realized that it was cheaper to just get a last minute week which was always available, than to pay maintenance fees. So I sold it even though I was happy with the week and the maintenance fees were cheap.
Now I avoid Massanutten because of the fees they tack on when you check in - about $60, I think.

I believe the resort fees don’t apply to Mountainside Villas.

I understand and agree with everything laid out, but am a bit fuzzy on how getting one for free works, specifically making sure I am getting something that doesn’t have a lien or maintenance fees that have not been paid for years. Also, costs to transfer into my name and any separate costs to transfer into RCI.

The last few weeks I’ve added to my RCI account without charge by chatting online with RCI and asking them to do it. Quite simple. Haven’t gotten a week from timeshare nation myself, but they indicate that they cover the transfers.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Timeshare nation only transfers TS without loans or unpaid MF. No offense, but you can get regal vistas for free.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Drg71NVXGz8jKbq8h9TAwLw1CxRCdLAZ1j8upwjTXic/htmlview

Attachments

• 0D5FF471-2631-4672-A8CE-AF6D44F572AD.png
    0D5FF471-2631-4672-A8CE-AF6D44F572AD.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2B405DC8-2F43-468E-A866-FDB5500E0543.png
    2B405DC8-2F43-468E-A866-FDB5500E0543.png
    216 KB · Views: 34

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have owned Eagle Trace for over 12 years. Love the resort as it is somewhat local, but not the weeks trading power I currently have.

Thank you in advance.
Eagle Trace floats 1-52 so if you prepay your MF and book week 52 you would get a power boost of at least 12-18 plus 17 for each side. So 46 tpu's or so if you combine. You also have the ability to trade back into Vacation Villa affiliates including Massanutten for $159 exchange fee.

The regal vista week- is it an off season 2 BR with a MF of over $900 or is it a spring or fall 2 Br with a MF around $480? Don't forget that through rci points you pay about $110 per year for your rci membership as well.

brianbreck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
The regal vista off is fall week, 2 br, $455 maintenance fee.

after reading all of this I am pretty sure I will not be taking them up in their offer.

@Grammerhero - on Timeshare Nation’s website I can only see a Woodstone property available. Is that list you provided current inventory and/or something I would have access to? If it says first use is 2020, does that mean that 2020 MF are already paid?
This site has been great and thank you all for your input!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

after reading all of this I am pretty sure I will not be taking them up in their offer.

@Grammerhero - on Timeshare Nation’s website I can only see a Woodstone property available. Is that list you provided current inventory and/or something I would have access to? If it says first use is 2020, does that mean that 2020 MF are already paid?
As much as I like TSN, they do a poor job updating their website. The spreadsheet is their currently directory. Just sort by Resort, and scroll down to R. Once you decide you want something, send a screenshot of what you want and an email to jared@timesharenation.com. I do NOT get any financial compensation or bonuses for referrals. I just appreciate with all the TS scams going on, TSN is legit.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It looks like the Regal Vista properties are not 2020-MF paid. However, the Woodstone is 2020MF-paid, which means free 2020 usage. https://www.timesharenation.com/resort/Massanutten-Resort

brianbreck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
OK. Sounds good. How does Timeshare Nation make their money as they advertise no closing costs whatsoever?

the one that they show that I am interested in is the Regal Vista, both units, week 48 (our anniversary). It shows first use as 2020 - does that mean MF are already paid or I have to pay them?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK. Sounds good. How does Timeshare Nation make their money as they advertise no closing costs whatsoever?

the one that they show that I am interested in is the Regal Vista, both units, week 48 (our anniversary). It shows first use as 2020 - does that mean MF are already paid or I have to pay them?

Send an email to Jared asking if free 2020 usage. Emphasize you will definitely take it if it’s free 2020 usage.

TSN likely has two revenue streams:
1) resorts will pay them $500 to list the vacant TS, then another $2.5k if that vacant TS sells. At least would get MF for those vacant properties.
2) Ts owners who don’t want their property might list at TSN for $500 deposit, then another $2.5k once a TS customer chooses the TS.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

My guess is that it does not because the MF wouldn't be due until July 1. At Massanutten, fixed week units that are week 28 or later aren't due until July 1 although with the trade boost it is still usually worth it to pay what would be almost a year early if you own a later week and 6 months+ early if you own a float week or a fixed week in the first half of the year.

brianbreck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
Makes sense. Thanks everyone for the quick responses as this was definitely the factor that helped me make my decision. I will keep you informed.

thanks again.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sent Jared an email. Dropped your name..
We’ll see what happens.
I've clarified. For both the TS owner and resort, I think TSN's deposit's to list is $500. Once a TS owner chooses that TS, TSN then charges the other $2,500.

brianbreck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
So I didn't take Massanutten's 'deal'... Thanks to everyone on this forum. I am looking at an attractive Regal Vista lockout resale, but it is currently a 'weeks' property (from the estoppel). I contacted RCI abou the process to convert to points and was told I would have to go through the resort to achieve. I have read that Massanutten can charge thousands to do this. Is this correct and if so, are there any options where I do not pay thousands to convert form weeks to points, or is my best option to find a TS that is already 'points'?
Thanks again in advance

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I didn't take Massanutten's 'deal'... Thanks to everyone on this forum. I am looking at an attractive Regal Vista lockout resale, but it is currently a 'weeks' property (from the estoppel). I contacted RCI abou the process to convert to points and was told I would have to go through the resort to achieve. I have read that Massanutten can charge thousands to do this. Is this correct and if so, are there any options where I do not pay thousands to convert form weeks to points, or is my best option to find a TS that is already 'points'?
Thanks again in advance

No need to convert. You can deposit one week and book another week at another resort.

You get a certain trading power. A 4BR Massanutten in fall might have enough trading power to book a 2BR summer at Orlando.

https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/help/depositing/how-early-should-i-deposit-my-week.page

rac1027

Reaction score
Hello, I own week 50 at Regal Vistas at Massanutten. Lock-out, one unit, two bedroom/ two bathrooms. Fixed week annual usage available 2020. I will give it away for free if you pay all the closing cost. I am currently banking the week in RCI because I am not using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk