• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Hyatt Windward Pointe

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Call me very disappointed. We exchanged via II and I was very excited . The impression I have always gotten was the Hyatt was a step above Marriott. I didn’t expect a view so this is not one of those posts. If you walk to the end of the balcony you can see the ocean.

We were assigned a handicapped room . No problem we have had one before. But the kitchen is inept. Missing lower cabinets I assume to allow a wheelchair access. No oven in a 2 bedroom unit. The front staff said the microwave is also a confection oven which I have never used. Guess I am supposed to learn a new skill while on vacation. There is no counter space just an open empty void. The living room is cramped with ill fitting furniture. There is a couch 2 chairs and a coffee table. There is less than 2 inches between the table and chairs making the space cramped and unworkable.

Clearly we will make do but no where need the quality of a Marriott in my book.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 117

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is very odd to not have an oven, even in an ADA room. We stayed at Windward Pointe last November. The rooms certainly are not Marriott quality and the resort and grounds are just okay. Certainly nothing special. We had a good time and it was nice to be near the hop on hop off trolly stop.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d ask for a different unit if there are units that have actual ovens and you want one.

We own both Hyatt and Marriott timeshares. I would never say that Hyatt is a step above Marriott. Just the opposite in most all cases. The Hyatt in Maui might be the exception. Otherwise, I think Marriott has a leg up on Hyatt in terms of quality.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I did mention to the front staff. They said they were at 99% occupancy. We will have a great time! Today is DH birthday

PS not a single USB port in the room, we will manage.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Yes there is a telescope!

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d ask for a different unit if there are units that have actual ovens and you want one.

We own both Hyatt and Marriott timeshares. I would never say that Hyatt is a step above Marriott. Just the opposite in most all cases. The Hyatt in Maui might be the exception. Otherwise, I think Marriott has a leg up on Hyatt in terms of quality.
There are 4 HRC resorts that are significantly nicer than any Marriott offering (Ritz excluded):

Hyatt Grand Aspen
Park Hyatt
HRC Maui
HRC Siesta Key

With the exception of the Hyatt Grand Aspen which comes available during very late ski season and mud season they aren't typically available for exchanges. Occasionally, you will see the Park Hyatt for the week or two after Beaver Creek closes in Interval.

Most of the other resorts are probably on par with Marriott depending on their refurbishment schedule. However, some are smaller than Marriott Resorts (Key West and Beaver Creek). Here's where Marriott is great:
- The consistency of the resorts that have been built in the last 25 years or so
- With the exception of a couple of stays, nothing looks really dated or beat up.
- Size of units is pretty consistent across the Marriott portfolio
- Resort Amenities are fairly consistent as well (like activities -- which is a big deal for our kids...hopefully COVID didn't kill that though)

If the "lesser" Hyatt units have been a while since they've been refurbished it's going to feel like a downgrade. For me personally, the location of most of even the "lesser" Hyatt's can make up for it.

If you travel a lot in timeshares, I think it makes a lot of sense to pick up both a Hyatt and maybe a Marriott or two as a trader.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt Coconut Plantation is very nice.
Agreed. It's one of our favorites, I'd put that in the same tier as the Marriott's (but the lazy river is next level), but I personally prefer it more than almost all of the Marriott's that I've stayed at.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
We have had a good time but like @dioxide45 said the resort is nothing special and our room in particular is lacking.

We have seen zero staff unless we go to the office and the amenities are absent other than the pool. No activities at all. The Abby Road poolside restaurant is reasonably priced and decent a real perk when the kitchen is so lacking.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had a good time but like @dioxide45 said the resort is nothing special and our room in particular is lacking.

We have seen zero staff unless we go to the office and the amenities are absent other than the pool. No activities at all. The Abby Road poolside restaurant is reasonably priced and decent a real perk when the kitchen is so lacking.

Hyatt and Marriott properties are different as each had a different development MO - Hyatt was "boutique" properties in select prime locations, while Marriott's was mega properties in lots of locations.

Regarding Hyatt's KW properties: For most that visit Key West, the activity is Key West.

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Sunset Harbor
I have stayed at many marriotts and many Hyatts. I don't think there can be a blanket statement about overall quality. Both have some beautiful properities and some that could really use improvements. We stayed at Marriott Grande Vista in May and were very disappponted with the property and the room renovations, conversley we loved the Marriott in Park City and the Oceana Palms in Palm Beach. Marriott has a much larger selection of properities to chose from, but we love the smaller boutique feel of the Hyatt Siesta Key and had wonderful stays At Coconut Planntation, High Sierra Lodge,and not to mention Sunset Harbor with its amazing location in key west. Hope one bad experience doesnt stop you from trying some of the other Hyatt properties.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
travelhacker,

Yeah, I made a pretty broad statement there. I shouldn't have. Thanks for clarifying for everyone and keeping things in perspective.

There are 4 HRC resorts that are significantly nicer than any Marriott offering (Ritz excluded):

Hyatt Grand Aspen
Park Hyatt
HRC Maui
HRC Siesta Key

With the exception of the Hyatt Grand Aspen which comes available during very late ski season and mud season they aren't typically available for exchanges. Occasionally, you will see the Park Hyatt for the week or two after Beaver Creek closes in Interval.

Most of the other resorts are probably on par with Marriott depending on their refurbishment schedule. However, some are smaller than Marriott Resorts (Key West and Beaver Creek). Here's where Marriott is great:
- The consistency of the resorts that have been built in the last 25 years or so
- With the exception of a couple of stays, nothing looks really dated or beat up.
- Size of units is pretty consistent across the Marriott portfolio
- Resort Amenities are fairly consistent as well (like activities -- which is a big deal for our kids...hopefully COVID didn't kill that though)

If the "lesser" Hyatt units have been a while since they've been refurbished it's going to feel like a downgrade. For me personally, the location of most of even the "lesser" Hyatt's can make up for it.

If you travel a lot in timeshares, I think it makes a lot of sense to pick up both a Hyatt and maybe a Marriott or two as a trader.