• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Harborside this week....

mkfisher

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone needs anything. Beautiful weather and hardly anyone around. Many restaurants are closed as well.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
I looked at the Atlantis web cam yesterday and it looked like the place was empty--when I was there it was 80% occupancy but down to about 50% the day after I left.
If you ask for the restaurant list it give you the number of rooms and number occupied so you can figure out the percentage!
Snowing here in DC today so I wish I was still there!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your trip!

If you do the "owners update" see if you can get an updated estimate of unsold Harborside units. Also, see if they are still saying that there will not be a phase 3.

Tom

RLOGO

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone needs anything. Beautiful weather and hardly anyone around. Many restaurants are closed as well.

I will be there in Feb. and am curious to which restaurants are closed. How are the water temperatures this time of year for pools and beach?

Also, I was told I would be in building 7. Have renovations started there? Any recommendations with regard to our location are appreciated.

Have a great time.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
RLOGO, ... The schedule of restaurants that are closed each day was posted by the concierge desk when I was at Harborside in December.

If not posted, just ask. The concierge knows.

It seemed that each restaurant was closed one or more days (maybe excepting Bobby Flay's place at the Cove, the Bahamian Club and the buffets). Every restaurant seemed to be open a few days of each week. I think a lot of the Atlantis restaurant staff has been let go and they are spreading around the remaining staff. ... eom

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
RLOGO, ... I was in building 7 in December.

It's Phase I. The units I was in were "tired" in decor, but in good repair. Everything worked.

Building 7 has great views looking across the marina at Atlantis. The views make up for the "tired" furnishings. However, as you walk out the door of the units, there is no scenic view at all. The sales center is right below.

The walk to the pool or exercise room is not as long as it looks on the map. Maybe 5 minutes. We had a one year old with our group and did not find it was a problem getting to the pool.

Building 7 is very convenient to the main office and concierge desk, the little commissary and the Harborside shuttle stop. ... eom

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Building 7 is the reception building--according to those I have heard from renovations will be in the fall--although I did speak to the person in charge of Harborside as we had some issues while there--and he did tell me that one of the things they have done already and is likely not noticeable is they have changed all the A/C units.
We were in 4712/4713 and it had great views--the only thing that seemed tired to me was the sofa--it seems to be pretty flat and cushions (the inside foam part) seemed like it was old.
One suggestion to those going--do an inventory at least a basic one upon arrival--we didn't find things were missing till we needed them--for example Sunday morning as I was making pancakes found no spatula in either unit of our lockoff--same for potholders--so check out basic stuff when you get there!
Also we were told they didn't provide dish soap (not dishwasher soap) anymore but they do!

RLOGO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mariawolf, Jarta,

Thank you for the info and advice.

Last edited:

mkfisher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some takeaways so far for those interested:

-We went with a 2bLO and with Sunday Check-in, requested Bldg 1 upper floor, vs. bldg 4....as we prefer the view. There was no problem in granting the request and we found ourselves on floor 3.

- It's been 3 years since we were here last so I was anxious to see what "tired" looked like. Cracked countertops, patched groutlines, ceiling spots, floor tile chips, worn linens, and the usual wear items were in full force. I'm glad to take some snap shots and attach them here, but I think you get the idea. It won't ruin our trip, but I also wouldn't want to be paying $2400 in mfs without some look of refresh.

- The significant disappointment for me this trip is the weak attempt at addressing the lack of a DVD player in the Phase I units. They have rigged up an RF converter to a low end DVD player via coaxial cables. The result is a horrific picture of the kids movies that may display shadows and only 4 to 6 different colors.....unforgivable for videophiles like myself. The volume and on/off buttons have also been plucked out, but the remotes work fine with a little study. The bottom line: how cheap could they have been to have invested in televisions that had no RCA jacks etc for any attachments?

- I was prepared for the food expense and we brought lots, but I got stung on the automatic gratuities at Johnny Rockets when we ordered take out- How can you force an automatic 15% gratuity on a register transaction?

- Bimini Road is open, but not much else in the village....Even the deli has been closed. Marketplace buffet was still open, but we were sorry to see that Seagrapes had closed. We are really enjoying the non-spring break activity. No lines for rides or the Dig, no pool chair wars, no reservations needed, and you really feel like the beaches are yours. With 75-82 degrees all week, life is good vs. the -5 we left in Minnesota.

- Pools have been hit or miss on being heated or not. Harborside is not and the newer kids pool area beside the Mayan Temple is not, but both Lazy river Rides and the new Power Tower are warm.

- Staff has definitely been depleted, but lifeguards seem ample. Attitudes are the usual mix of welcoming to, "Can I remind you 8 times this ride closes at 5".... startiing at 4:30. Some folks are clearly just doing time, but the majority are pleasant. Where you really see and feel the difference is the absence of being attacked within the hotel lobby areas. You may have someone behind an information desk, but NO in your face sharks working the floor anywhere... very nice.

- We were glad to see Highspeed internet. No luck with wireless, but the plug-in works fine and is reliable. 14.95 /day is steep- I think we chose the 49.99 for 4 days plan. There are a menu of option packages available.

- We are trying out the Dolphin Cay experience tomorrow - 100+ per person, and $25 for me to have the privilage of video taping - "observer" fee. I'm also anxious to scope out the new Cove area. We have met lot's of Starwood owners here who have really worked hard to trade up to Harborside opportunities (Multiple years + multiple properties etc.)

- Again, you have to be a Zombie to not have a ball here, buts its always nice to know how things are progressing.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
mk-

I am headed to Harborside for the first time this March. I understand that Building 2 or 6 are my options for a Friday check-in. I requested Bldg 2 for location reasons but am starting to get concerned about being in Phase I given that they are winding down for the scheduled Fall 09 updating.

I am wondering about switching my request to Bldg 6. What do you (or others) think?

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
saluki, we were in building 6 back in Aug/Sept and it was fine. Granted, you don't get much of a view but we did not spend very much time in the room. Try to make time to get over to Arawak Cay for a great local meal.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Interesting to note as we were there in January--the kids pool area was definitely heated--it was warmer than the Mayan pool--maybe with less folks there they aren't heating it??
I really think they need to retrofit the Harborside pool so it is heated--they did that to the old lazy river so it can clearly be done.
We stayed in building 7 phase 1--Saturday arrival--that unit was in good shape--our only complaint was the lack of making sure that everything that should be in the unit was--I think they need to be better at inventory in each unit and I spoke to Kendyce Moss Moultrie who runs the place--he called me after I sent a list of complaints to a vp I know in Starwood sales. He did say all the AC units had been replaced but he had not specific timeframe for the renovations even though my brother was told at his update it was fall 2009.
I noticed they had DVD players but honestly even though we brought kids videos we never used it! By the time we got back they were exhausted.
Everything in Marina Village was open when we were there--so it seems that until mid February when things pick up again it will be a ghost town like the fall.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, we were there the 3rd-10th and I don't think the older lazy river (coral towers) was heated, but the kids area was. Wonder if they are rotating? Or maybe even maintenance while the crowds are low???

The Harborside pool was down right frigid!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
I was there the same time and trust me the old lazy river was heated or I wouldn't have been in it--I only went one day which was towards the end of the week as I didn't realize it was open again till I took the kids to the stingray feeding on Thursday.
As to Harborside pool I never go in it because when we always go--January--it is freezing!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
But it is nice here then--it is freezing here now---that's why I have a place at Bethany Beach!

RLOGO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back from Harborside

I will be there in Feb. and am curious to which restaurants are closed. How are the water temperatures this time of year for pools and beach?

Also, I was told I would be in building 7. Have renovations started there? Any recommendations with regard to our location are appreciated.

Have a great time.

We just got back from the Harborside and had a great time. We had a Friday arrival and before we left were told we would be in building 7 by the two separate “Starwood reservation experts”. When we arrived, it turned out we were assigned building 6 but requested to be moved to building 2 with concerns of bridge noise. I should have realized Tugger’s are more experienced about Friday’s check-in buildings, 2 and 6. Looking back I think the location of building 6 would not have been a problem as long as the unit was not facing the bridge.

Our room in building 2 was 2741 where the terrace overlooked the canal leading to the marina however the other side faced the tunnel leading to the Atlantis. It was a bit noisy for my kids sleeping in the LR pullout. The room was adequate, but the kitchen lacked a few things. No placemats or napkins which were delivered promptly. There was a full, large bottle of dish soap as well as 3 packets of dishwasher detergent, and one day’s supply of coffee. Overall, we were happy with the room. One is usually too tired to really care about the room details after a full day at the Atlantis.

Here are my two major complaints: The safe was not working when we arrived and called to have it repaired. After 3 days it would not close again. We made several calls and even after going to the front deck in person to have it fixed and still no response we gave up. We ended up storing our valuables in our locked luggage. The other complaint is the difficulty to print boarding passes. The Library and the Business center at the Atlantis are not convenient. After waiting our turn at the Library the printer did not work. It took nearly 45 minutes to resolve the issue.

As for dining, we had a great but expensive dinner at Dune on Valentines Day. The “Mixed Grill” at Bahamian Club was our favorite meal. We did venture out to Seafood Haven at Arawak Cay which I found to be good and reasonable, but my DW was disappointed. STAY AWAY FROM Columbus Tavern, it is a complete disaster. You can read my Columbus Tavern review on Yahoo or Trip Advisor if you want more details.

Thank you all for the great advice.

Rico

Last edited:

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rico-

Sorry to hear about your rough experience at Columbus Tavern. I had it on my short list for my upcoming spring break trip. Did you try any other restaurants off Atlantis property (in addition to Seafood Haven)?

RLOGO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rico-

Sorry to hear about your rough experience at Columbus Tavern. I had it on my short list for my upcoming spring break trip. Did you try any other restaurants off Atlantis property (in addition to Seafood Haven)?

We ate in 3 nights and out at the above restaurtants the other 4. I did want to try Twin Brothers in Arawak Cay but was closed on Mondays so ended up at Seafood Haven. Avoid Columbus Taven. You can read my yahoo review of them for details.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too bad you missed out on Twin Brothers - hopefully you can get a meal there next time you go.

RLOGO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too bad you missed out on Twin Brothers - hopefully you can get a meal there next time you go.

We were looking forward to eating there as it was one of the places I read good things about. We decided last minute and it wasn’t until we got to Arawak Cay that taxi driver told us they were closed on Monday's. Afterwards we found out from another cabbie that taxis receive $2 for bringing customers to some of the restaurants.

ljwhit

TUG Member
Reaction score
A group of us ate at Twin Brothers last October and it was the worst meal I've had in my life. All 5 of us in fact said the same thing. Service was non existant. Took 1/2 hour to get a drinks and 1 of them was wrong, so that took another 1/2 hr. We waited forever and ever for the bill and finally estimated the cost and tip (small one) and left it on the table. I'm used to things moving on island time so expected slow service as normal, but this was way beyond that. I would never return there.

Last edited:

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
A group of us ate at Twin Brothers last October and it was the worst meal I've had in my life. All 5 of us in fact said the same thing. Service was non existant. Took 1/2 hour to get a drinks and 1 of them was wrong, so that took another 1/2 hr. We waited forever and ever for the bill and finally estimated the cost and tip (small one) and left it on the table. I'm used to things moving on island time so expected slow service as normal, but this was way beyond that. I would never return there.

It's too bad that you experienced that. Ours was more typical of what Twin Brothers has become known for - tasty local dishes that were huge portions but of course served island time.

RLOGO

TUG Member
Reaction score

I will quote one of cabbies we encountered during our stay who said “Bahamians have two speeds, slow and stop”

cvelasco

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in Building 6 last spring break and it was fine except beware ot the LOUD noise as people come into work about 6am. I am an early riser so it did not bother me as I like to walk early to get a great spot at the pool and exercise. It is the farthest from the shuttles but not a big deal at all unless you have lots to carry. I think I would ask for building 2 over the pool or resort view due to the noise.