• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Assessment Fee is Double what was on estoppel

Anw015

Reaction score
Ok so back in September I found a timeshare in the marketplace I was interested in. I contacted the agent selling it who was with Express Closing Firm. I checked reviews and several here have had no issues so I went after it. I was forwarded the estoppel attached. Well today I got an email stating the transfer was complete, I am super excited call Wyndham get my member number only to see my assessment fee is now $1600. I have called them all day and I'm getting the run around can anyone guide me on what I need to do.

Attachments

• Flaugh, Rodney & Debra - Complete Estoppel (1).pdf
    460.8 KB · Views: 127
  • unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 130

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Was there a special assessment for 2020?

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
Is this because it was a converted week and you have pay extra to keep it converted? OR did the previous owner pay by 1/2 year?

Neither of these seem likely to me. This is a strange one.

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
It must be a special assessment. That is EXTREMELY high MF for 154k. I pay 1196 for 238K at kingsgate, and 768 for 126k at kingsgate. 2 different Kingsgate MF, but much much lower than what they are slapping you with.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@SNA27 had similar problems. Wyndham TS famously underreport MF for converted weeks. I think an email to MB might be in order. I don’t even mess with converted weeks given all the uncertainty.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
No, my situation was different. The HOA fee was not disclosed to me.

The conversion fee cannot account for $807.04 going to $1605.40. What is Club Wyndham Plus assessment? Who issued that document?
The Closing firm Flaugh, Rodney & Debra could be misrepresenting the assessment in their document. But it seems to be in line with 2019 assessments.

OP should contact the HOA and verify HOA Fee information. Wyndham could have screwed up something!

Here is 2019 info:
Wyndham Sapphire Valley - Converted F/W - 154,000 points ($4.364)
  • Maintenance Fees:
    $395.37
  • Reserve Fund:
    $263.13
  • Property Tax:
    $13.54
  • Total HOA Fee:
    $672.04

Last edited:

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the sticky mf list for 2017, second from the bottom above the posts, there are 4 different hoa fees.
The estoppel only shows the unit number. Perhaps the mf is for the Villas which was $1305 now $1445.

Sapphire Valley
  • Fairway Forest DS Annual 1177.7
  • Fairway Forest SS Annual 865.15
  • Foxhunt All Annual 902.93
  • Mt Laurel Villas All Annual 1305.49

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Weasel alert! Still no excuse. If the closing firm is correct, then Wyndham must have screwed up by entering the wrong HOA info on their system.

1579737846585.png

1579737888090.png

Anw015

Reaction score
Lord I am tired. So after talking to over 10 people this is a breakdown of what has happened. In 2018 the sellers were given a gift or credit something and they were to pay for this in 2019 and failed to so the have passed that debt on to me. Wyndham states the seller is very aware of the fee as they were the ones that put off paying it until 2020 then sold. Another issue I found was the points for this year had already been used come to find the seller moved the point to RCI leaving me with no points for 2020. So I was left with their debt and no points and expected to pay both their debt as fees. After being on the phone over two hours, I hung up with them and emailed Express and they contacted the sellers who I guess admitted they didn’t pay and that they took the points. They are now sending the closing firm a check for the fees and said they will get a form to transfer me the points RCI. But I have no idea how RCI even works and was told if I just leave it for a year it will convert back to points but that still leaves me without usage for 2020. So now I’m going to research RCI I guess.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lord I am tired. So after talking to over 10 people this is a breakdown of what has happened. In 2018 the sellers were given a gift or credit something and they were to pay for this in 2019 and failed to so the have passed that debt on to me. Wyndham states the seller is very aware of the fee as they were the ones that put off paying it until 2020 then sold. Another issue I found was the points for this year had already been used come to find the seller moved the point to RCI leaving me with no points for 2020. So I was left with their debt and no points and expected to pay both their debt as fees. After being on the phone over two hours, I hung up with them and emailed Express and they contacted the sellers who I guess admitted they didn’t pay and that they took the points. They are now sending the closing firm a check for the fees and said they will get a form to transfer me the points RCI. But I have no idea how RCI even works and was told if I just leave it for a year it will convert back to points but that still leaves me without usage for 2020. So now I’m going to research RCI I guess.
You get a free RCI account with the $160 program fee. It should be in the exchange tab. If not, contact Wyndham’s customer service to set that up.

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham

I would DOCUMENT EVERYTHING...if they were that much of weasels....I would suspect they are not honest people and trying to get them to pay and send the points over will take some work.

Anw015

Reaction score
You get a free RCI account with the $160 program fee. It should be in the exchange tab. If not, contact Wyndham’s customer service to set that up.
Would that show even without me paying my fee yet?

I would DOCUMENT EVERYTHING...if they were that much of weasels....I would suspect they are not honest people and trying to get them to pay and send the points over will take some work.

I haven’t talked to them at all. The manager called them directly when she heard what they did but I don’t trust them. And granted Wyndham said I have 30 days to pay after my due date without late fee but I’m not paying anything until I know I have points for this year.

I literally went from cloud 9 to no clouds lol this has left a horrible taste in my mouth. So dishonest

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
154,000 in RCI may take multiple reservations to use up. At least two. So, OP should demand 2 or 3 times $249 exchange fee from the sellers too.
What the hell happened to full disclosure between willing buyers and willing sellers?

The closing firm issued the Estoppel and they are bound by it. It clearly states no dues were owed. You could take the closing firm to small claims court and win. And they know it too!
Let the closing firm squeeze the crooked sellers!

1579740110007.png

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
154,000 in RCI may take multiple reservations to use up. At least two. So, OP should demand 2 or 3 times $249 exchange fee from the sellers too.
What the hell happened to full disclosure between willing buyers and willing sellers?

The closing firm issued the Estoppel and they are bound by it. It clearly states no dues were owed. You could take the closing firm to small claims court and win. And they know it too!
Let the closing firm squeeze the crooked sellers!

View attachment 16567

SNA is giving you GREAT advice here. I would demand they pay ANY costs associated with this mess.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Ok so back in September I found a timeshare in the marketplace I was interested in. I contacted the agent selling it who was with Express Closing Firm. I checked reviews and several here have had no issues so I went after it. I was forwarded the estoppel attached. Well today I got an email stating the transfer was complete, I am super excited call Wyndham get my member number only to see my assessment fee is now $1600. I have called them all day and I'm getting the run around can anyone guide me on what I need to do.
Express is liable. I would tell them in writing either fix the situation or take back the week. What I wonder was the estoppel official and how did it even transfer into your name with mfs being up to date. I would ask Wyndham both questions.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I have 6 resale contracts and all of them transferred fine with points. You just had really bad luck with douchebag sellers. Look on the bright side. The retail price for 154,000 points is $39,000 and a lot of people actually pay close to that for literally the same thing. At least when all of this settles, you'll be left with really low maintenance fees in the long run. Everyone with 154,000 CWA points have to pay $1127 annually. You pay almost $300 less a year then they do.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
What I never understand is why the specific terms of what you expect to receive when you buy are not expressly outlined in the purchase contract.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
What I never understand is why the specific terms of what you expect to receive when you buy are not expressly outlined in the purchase contract.
That is why I like using lt Transfer, they require specifics be agreed upon and signed

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am going to needle our resident expert @dgalati by 'alleging' the crooked seller was misled by his strip-and-dump scheme! :D :D :D
Ok, to be fair to @dgalati, he is a full discloser! Hmm, that sounds weird like a 'flasher'! Haha! :D:D:D
All in jest, I bet @dgalati chuckles at my wicked sense of humor and being the honored guest of a 'roast'!;)

@dgalati is really a cool guy contrary to his online persona as a gadfly!

Last edited:

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham sales are quick to point out that problems can arise with buying resale. They overstate the potential risks, but they are not completely lying about this. I have had some resales and they are not entirely smooth. Usually, I find that the process takes too long, so I am not sure exactly when I will start paying. Sometimes, I pay too early and my points are delayed. On the other hand, I have had instances where I received points that I didn't expect.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is why I like using lt Transfer, they require specifics be agreed upon and signed
LT has a very basic purchase agreement stating the first year of use or when points will be available. It is also stated all fees to be paid or keep current until Wyndham transfers.
I had a few deeds transfer in with maintenances fees that were not paid for 2-3 months. Not sure how far behind before Wyndham will not transfer. Wyndham will not help in situations like this they will tell you that is risk of buying resale. Your best recourse is to go back to seller to see if they can explain or rectify the problem.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Express is liable. I would tell them in writing either fix the situation or take back the week. What I wonder was the estoppel official and how did it even transfer into your name with mfs being up to date. I would ask Wyndham both questions.
Wyndham deserves some blame too in its estoppel reflecting no past due payment. If OP emails MB with the estoppel and the screenshot, I can’t see Wyndham continuing to enforce the past due payments

Anw015

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone!!! I will look into the cost that will come from using RCI rather than booking through Wyndham this year and ask Express how they plan to compensate me. Express advised they will help me set up a account and assure it all transfers but I still rather have had my points where they were suppose to be. From what I understand the owners agreed to pay the fee in 2020 which is why I guess its didn't show in the estoppel. But at the end of the day they knew and should have paid it before transferring. To defend Express just a little I did have a signed contract that the owner was not to use 2020 year points which is why I called Wyndham to dispute and complete an audit but Wyndham honestly was not much help and definitely had the you shouldn't have bought resale attitude, until I talked to the same guy twice did he feel sorry and make people look into things for me. They still are very hands off and it will be on me to settle it all.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try to reserve the transaction and get your money back due to fraud. It's not going to work out right for you. You're going to end up being cheated. They find another TS to purchase.