• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Assessing Risk: Where are you now? Where will you be this summer?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
1. Total isolation with almost no chance of illness. Stay in your house or apartment, alone or with family. Do not allow anyone else inside unless an emergency occurs. Do not have any in-person contact with friends or other family members. Have all groceries delivered. Disinfect anything that comes into your house. Do all your own food prep and housecleaning. Do not have your teeth cleaned. See doctors only by telemedicine; refuse any elective medical procedures. Go outdoors only when you are sure you will not encounter other people. Work only from home. Find whatever pleasure and entertainment you can inside your house. Feel secure in the probability that you will not contract the virus.

2. Significant isolation with a very small chance of illness or death. As above, but allow a trusted cleaning person or handyman to come into your house occasionally; have a short conversation with him or her, always wearing a mask and gloves. Go to drug or grocery stores occasionally, always gloved and masked. Buy takeout food. Exercise outside alone or with your partner. If people approach you, wave them away. Limit contact with family and friends except those living with you.

3. Some isolation with a small chance of illness or death. As above, but go to a wider variety of stores. See a doctor or dentist if necessary. Allow short conversations with people you meet outside or in a store. Resume selected outdoor sports. Accept and initiate invitations for limited activities with trusted friends and family at home, with social distancing and masks. Go to your workplace if you can drive yourself and don’t have to interact with colleagues or customers. Reach out to some people who might need help.

4. A relatively large amount of openness and some chance of illness or death. As above, but accept and initiate invitations for drinks or dinner, outside or inside, with trusted friends and family. Resume outside activities like restaurants you trust, religious services, going to your job and doing volunteer work—with social distancing and masks. Go to salons, barber shops, retail establishments or movie theaters that facilitate social distancing. Travel only when necessary.

5. Total openness with a significant chance of illness or death. Do any activity, including going to any restaurant, gym, theater, concert or sporting event—as you did pre-Covid. Travel whenever you want. Look for more opportunities to help others. Work as necessary or desired. With or without social distancing and masks.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I started as a 1, progressed to 2, now 3, will probably progress to some in 4 like a haircut or go to NY to see mom this summer. Doing it as safe as I can but accept there might never be an vaccine or anti viral that works and life has to go on.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Interesting poll; I'll bite.

We were never fully #1, more like #2 with some modifications. Never have sanitized objects (groceries, packages), only used wipes in a car after being in a store but not anywhere else, wore masks but not gloves (what's the point?), we kept physical distance from others, but never to the point of not conversing with people (very easy to do at 6+ feet apart), ordered take-out ~twice a week, worked from home, and the only people we had in our home was our house cleaners, but we kept physically distant.

Now that Colorado is in it's first phase of relaxing the SIP rules, somewhere between #2 and #3 -- still working from home, still using face masks in stores (never outdoors), got a haircut yesterday (yeah!), but the main change is that we expanded our "bubble" a bit and had two dinners with friends (no touching / hugging, but no facemasks either).

This summer close to #4 as things open up a bit more, we will keep on using masks in businesses but will still be working from home (our company is being very conservative on going back to the office, plus our jobs can easily be done remote). We plan on occasionally eat out at restaurants but there will be no movies, festivals, large gatherings, etc. We do have a driving trip planned to MN where my family (siblings and mother) are renting a cottage at a lake resort, but we will probably cook and eat most meals in the cottage vs. dealing w/ restrictions at restaurants.

I don't see #5 happening around here until next summer.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ain't going to happen for months. (in reference to sports)
Big, professional sports I would agree, but outdoor youth sports are starting back up already across many states, including Colorado.

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big, professional sports I would agree, but outdoor youth sports are starting back up already across many states, including Colorado.

Kurt
And the difference between "Big, professional sports" and "outdoor youth sports" (in terms of contagiousness) is?

Keystone Cops thinking..

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I’d say 5 but don’t know if I agree with a significant chance of illness or death.

I’m probably close to normal for what I used to do. I don’t do some of those things listed. Hawaii will probably have mandatory mask wearing for a while also.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And the difference between "Big, professional sports" and "outdoor youth sports" (in terms of contagiousness) is?
Professional sports means stadiums filled with thousands of fans. With youth sports, very easy to socially distance for the fans (very few), and with the outdoor sports that are starting up (baseball, softball mainly), there is not that much contact. Plus, the players are in the lowest risk age group for developing serious illnesses.

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
With youth sports, very easy to socially distance for the fans (very few),
Kurt
The stands were PACKED for youth soccer matches. "Social distancing" would be a joke.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The stands were PACKED for soccer matches. "Social distancing" would be a joke.
Not sure what summer youth sports pack stands (heck, most youth sports fields don't even have stands), but I'm guessing it is a very small percentage. When our child went through all the years of summer youth sports, the fans were basically just the parents and their families. Maybe you are thinking of something else, like HS sports? I was referring to summer league sports, as this thread was referencing what we think we will be doing this summer.

Kurt

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'm curious where households with one or more essential workers fits into this numbering system.

That’s kind of where I am. Things haven’t changed much for me. I go to work everyday and come home tired. Mostly do our running around on the weekend, then it’s back to work.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Always was a 3 when it started and now a 4.

I just watched a video of the place I'm going to in Florida for Seaplane Flight Instruction next week where they talked about all the precautions they are taking so I have very very little concern. Other than Masking and Social Distancing, life is pretty normal for me.

Cheers

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
4 and would be at 5 if things like theatre and concerts were happening.

I was never at 1. I was at 2 for a very short time and quickly went to 3 and then 4.

This week I got my haircut and hubby and I went on a neighbors pontoon boat with 6 other people. I felt very alive at least for the day.

Was part of my retirement dream to get on the lake. Was hoping to walk to the mailboats and MS MT Washington a lot to get out on it but I don’t know that they will be operating this year.

I do plan to tell our son he is welcome to visit us now as I am done with this whole thing and I need for our home to feel like a home. Everyone we know here is having their families over- grandchildren, etc.

if I die because of it so be it.

Last edited:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
3. Some isolation with a small chance of illness or death. As above, but go to a wider variety of stores. See a doctor or dentist if necessary. Allow short conversations with people you meet outside or in a store. Resume selected outdoor sports. Accept and initiate invitations for limited activities with trusted friends and family at home, with social distancing and masks. Go to your workplace if you can drive yourself and don’t have to interact with colleagues or customers. Reach out to some people who might need help.
4. A relatively large amount of openness and some chance of illness or death. As above, but accept and initiate invitations for drinks or dinner, outside or inside, with trusted friends and family. Resume outside activities like restaurants you trust, religious services, going to your job and doing volunteer work—with social distancing and masks. Go to salons, barber shops, retail establishments or movie theaters that facilitate social distancing. Travel only when necessary.

We've been 3 from the get-go although did not wear masks initially. We have socialized with friends in our driveway or theirs, met for hikes and I've driven into work with limited time and interactions with one or two colleagues while there. Chatted with neighbors at a 6 foot distance as we encounter them on our walks. Stores have included Ace, Home Depot and a local butcher shop as well as Costco and Heinen's. Golfed as a couple and with friends weather permitting. No dr. or dentist visits though.

Slowly heading into #4 with accepting an invite to be with a group of GFs for a byo lunch. Had a pedi and will finally get a cut/color in a week. Our church is implementing serious social distancing policies, but I am still hesitant to attend services. Plan on outdoor dining asap!

The only part of #5 I'm ready for is "Travel when we want". However, what we want is not what we will do in most cases. We will use our exchange to New Bern NC next month since we can drive there, but are unlikely to vacay if flying is needed to get to our destination!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything in each number not exact - but more or less get the idea/meaning.

Started out as 1 - now I would say between 2 and 3.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was between a 1 and 2 formerly. Our hospitals are now on the downtrend so have moved to around a 3 now with a few aspects of 4. I will still limit grocery trips using instacart but not exclusively. I am perfectly willing to increase my sphere but will be careful. I would have never foregone any medical appointments that were not routine checkups unless not available. I could be close to a 4 but my opinion on good social distancing may not coincide with a particular business. I also have embraced the time of exposure plan. I do not plan to spend a long time indoors with people for quite a while. I see me doing carry out and movies at home for a long time.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I’ve been at mostly a 2, I live in a high risk area in NY. We are able to go for walks daily though and have started to order take out 1-2 times a week. The only thing is I don’t see having a cleaning person fitting into this category at all. I’m dying to have someone in but they go into so many houses- I can’t see allowing anyone with with that much exposure inside my house for a while. We do have a man staining our deck though but he doesn’t come in. I’m hoping to get to level 3-4 this summer but so far our restrictions aren’t being lifted because our numbers still aren’t great. I doubt my kids will go back into school in the fall and if they do it will be a blended learning situation. I’m a teacher so I’ve been WFH and this is what they are talking about for my school as well.

I think what level you are depends greatly on where you live, your experience with the virus (in my situation my parents had it, stepdad hospitalized, mom lost 3 friends, one very close, my friends wife 44yo still on vent for 8 weeks), and then also your government’s restrictions.

My husband and I have been talking about a social distanced get together at my brothers house this weekend. We are technically not allowed these get togethers here yet. We would be ok with it but we feel it would be too hard for our kids to stay away from their cousins. They are not babies- they are teens. But they will still want to go into the pool, hot tub and play on trampoline and basketball court (my brothers house is like a resort!) We are not sure what to do. We have been at home since March 16th. We have canceled two vacations so far. It’s getting old. But we take the virus very seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a 1and moved to a 2 with the exception of doctors. I had to go back to dermatologist and ended up with another “removal”. Dentist said they could take us yesterday, so we decided to get our cleanings otherwise we would have to wait until fall. Also saw orthopedist for injections. Today, had handiman put up our shutters.

2020 the year my garbage went out more than I did

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty much a 2. I do regularly walk with friends in a fairly rural neighborhood, but we stay quite far apart. Did get a haircut, but at a shop that practiced strong preventative measures.

I understand the need to open up, and, hopefully we have flattened the curve. That means that hospitals are less likely to become overwhelmed. That said, I just as soon not be one of the ones that the local hospital has room for. As others interact more, it simply makes me more resolute to stick at level 2 for my own protection.

I will add that, outside of my age, I have no underlying conditions. At the same time, I have a neighbor who is a health care worker. Flu shots were manditory, but he was one of the ones who still contracted it. It was about six weeks before he could return to work. Prior to that, just walking around the house was an effort. Months later, he is still not fully recovered. When you see what the flu (not to mention the coronavirus) can do to someone who was otherwise healthy, it tends to give you religion.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We are at 4.5 already. With our state open now, nearly every surviving business is at 50-100% operational. My husband ate dinner with a friend last night at an out of town supper club...inside. Our state fair still hasn’t been completely called off. The marina we use opens their restaurant and pool in a few days. Our church begins indoor worship next weekend, and we are scheduled to volunteer at a thrift shop next week. Our circle of social interaction seems to be getting wider each week; definitely coincides with warmer, sunnier days. We are being cautiously optimistic, yet, my germaphobe tendencies are still intact.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We were #1, including wiping down groceries, but significant outside solo/family outdoor sports-croquet, bocco, walking, riding bikes. Then moved to #2, but not allowing anyone in house.
Will be at #3. DH will start back at work end of June with 20 minute face-to-face patient/client conversations, but wearing N95 mask. No inside socialization except under 15 minutes with mask. Unlimited socials outside. Orthodontist for kid (overdue since May 1), Dr. etc. wearing mask, when practical.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think what level you are depends greatly on where you live, your experience with the virus (in my situation my parents had it, stepdad hospitalized, mom lost 3 friends, one very close, my friends wife 44yo still on vent for 8 weeks), and then also your government’s restrictions.

I think outlook on how you view this virus and the risks you take can be directly related to knowing others that had it and their outcome. The severity and reality is realized.

Whereas I do what needs to get done as life must go on, I am diligent in mask wearing, distancing, and washing/cleaning.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I'm curious where households with one or more essential workers fits into this numbering system.
With 2 essential workings in our household we have always been a 5. We have driven multiple times from our apartment in NCal to SCal In rented cars.
One Flying trip was cancelled on us in May to Washington DC and we cancelled 2 flights home and drove instead. We are not canceling our trip to Arizona in June and we will be flying.

I bought into the significant chance of illness and death early on as work was a terrifying s**** show. Now we test every admitted pt. ( with not a single positive yet).

We wear masks as needed never gloves( makes me laugh when I see them) and wash our hands constantly. No hand sanitizer, I hate the stuff.

Every death matters but the numbers are still in our favor everywhere we have been or are planning to go.