• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Asking the Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I lean towards the government has not leveled with the American people. My nurse friend said it is not true that healthy people without preexisting conditions cannot get seriously sick. She is seeing it first hand.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Would be great if the answer is Yes, we did over react. Good practice for next time.
The problem is we won't know the answer until after the fact....

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree with @clifffaith

Money lost in the stock market won't matter if you are dead.

If we over-react, there is potential to eradicate or minimize the virus, then we will get out of this sooner.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
When I hear about what is happening in Italy and some other places, I don't think we are overreacting. The HOARDERS are, but shame on them. I heard the current obituary in one Italian city was 10 pages long.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the government is leveling with the American people or not. What I do know is there are two articles addressing this issue in the news this morning. I'm taking this seriously.

In 2011, my 32 year old extremely healthy daughter contracted H1N1. She went from healthy to being placed in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator because she could no longer breath on her own within 24 hours. She was in ICU for 11 days on life support and 7 additional days in a regular room. She recovered only through the grace of God and the many, many prayers said on her behalf, including prayers from so many here on TUG (I will FOREVER be grateful to those of you who prayed so fervently for her). I will never, ever forget the horror I felt as I watched 3 other families grapple with the deaths of their loved ones from the same virus - a 26 year old, a 40 year old, and a 55 year old. My own precious daughter fought for her life. She did recover and has had no further illness but her doctors then told her if she ever even got so much as a sniffle that she is to get herself into a doctor immediately and inform them of what happened to her and to get started on a course of antibiotics. I am really scared for her with this current virus. She is taking precautions, of course but she works in the public and I pray every day that she won't be infected.

I hope that others will take this situation seriously and recognize that even if they aren't sick, they might be carriers and someone as vulnerable as my daughter could become sick if they come in contact with her. We shouldn't panic but we have to take this seriously.

I lean towards the government has not leveled with the American people. My nurse freind said it is not true that healthy people without preexisting conditions cannot get seriously sick. She is seeing it first hand.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
From my perspective, this is an issue where federal intervention needs to be at a minimum because this is NOT a one size fits all states solution.
Governors need to lead their individual states and make clear what they need from the federal level. In turn, the federal level needs to support the states as much as it can through out the duration of this virus.

There are already many politicians continuing to operate in the bash the other party mode. I hope those who do that are remembered come election time regardless of their party affiliation.

This is one of those times when politicians need to lead instead of continuing with political business as usual. I hope we see an increasing number of positive examples from all levels of government.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
After listening to NY Gov. Cuomo's press conference today, I don't think we are over reacting. They have been running projections based on the timing in Italy and if we don't slow down infections immediately and start getting emergency hospital beds ready now, we will be overwhelmed like Italy in a short time. He was factual and thoughtful, but it's a grim picture if we can't slow the spread. Without more testing we don't really know how widespread it is.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I hear about what is happening in Italy and some other places, I don't think we are overreacting. The HOARDERS are, but shame on them. I heard the current obituary in one Italian city was 10 pages long.
I was wondering why things were so much worse in Italy - one reason cited is that Italy has a considerable amount of older people in its population and especially in the hardest hit areas on Italy.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Good question / for every country in the world .

answer # 1) - if it does not matter if citizens die unnecessarily - then there is a worldwide overreaction .

OR

answer # 2) - if it matters to you ; that a ventilator & ICU bed IS AVAILABLE - if you or someone you care about or even know - needs one / then there there is no over reaction .

answer # 3) NO government worldwide wants to “ own” answer #1 / so governments are taking necessary steps .
Not every step will be critically important - BUT no steps taken - will result in additional deaths .

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the experts. The worst case scenario is well over a million deaths in the US. Under that type of potential consequences I would think that everything possible is the correct course.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in agreement that decisions should be made at the state level, or even by county. Why should the entire country be ruled by conditions in NYC, LA and other heavily populated areas? Perhaps social distancing should be a federal mandate. But I feel the statewide edict in CA for all over 65 to stay home is extreme.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good question / for every country in the worl

answer # 2) - if it matters to you ; that a ventilator & ICU bed IS AVAILABLE -

I've asked this question elsewhere, but no response.

Because of #2 above, I started to wonder about seniors with end of life instructions which say "do not hook me up". How would being hospitalized with Corona virus impact?

And then started thinking of the convalescent hospital in Kirkwood WA with high mortality rate. Could it have been impacted by patients having DNR on record and readily accessible -- since those instructions are a requirement when being admitted to a care home.

CaliSunshine

Reaction score
If anything, we are underreacting. At our current trajectory, we are still on track to infecting 100 million people and having 1 million people die. Those are not numbers to scare you. Those are the best guesses by epidemiologists.

Some states have been more proactive than others, but I see the next big steps as being statewide and hopefully even nationwide quarantines. What that means is that people will be mostly confined to their homes, and only allowed to go out to get groceries and to see the doctor.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
After listening to NY Gov. Cuomo's press conference today, I don't think we are over reacting. They have been running projections based on the timing in Italy and if we don't slow down infections immediately and start getting emergency hospital beds ready now, we will be overwhelmed like Italy in a short time. He was factual and thoughtful, but it's a grim picture if we can't slow the spread. Without more testing we don't really know how widespread it is.
I feel we are under reacting. Our federal government knew about this virus in December 2019.
Secondly, why is the US Senate on recess and not passing legislation in regard to this virus. IMHO.

This virus is a national problem.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That would make a nice epitaph...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I feel we are under reacting. Our federal government knew about this virus in December 2019.
Secondly, why is the US Senate on recess and not passing legislation in regard to this virus. IMHO.

This virus is a national problem.

As I understand, Congress is not on recess. The House worked on the weekend and the Senate is working on the bill today. It is a bad bill because it puts the burden on small businesses to front the money to pay for sick leave. I think the government should pay directly, like with unemployment insurance. I hope the Senate changes how this bill is implemented. I am worried because my business relies on employees seeing clients and with the loss of revenue, it will be hard to fund paid sick leave, even if there is some reimbursement mechanism at which time I would get reimbursed somehow.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What I don't understand is the bill exempts the largest companies who can best afford this? Small (and large) companies will lay off employees. There is no sick pay if you are laid off. They should boost unemployment which will swell.

California (and other states) should immediately repeal AB 5 and allow gig workers so people can boost their incomes with side jobs - they will need it. Instacart is hiring...

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have learned to live with the flu, which can cause up to 80,000 deaths a year in the U.S. and between 300,000 and 650,000 worldwide. It doesn’t invoke widespread fear, dread, and hysteria. Life goes on. People go out in public, eat at restaurants, drink in bars, fly in planes, take mass transit, attend sporting events, and congregate in other large indoor settings.

We should try to balance the public health and safety concerns with disruptions in daily activities. Quarantining individuals who have been exposed to the virus or who have underlying health risks makes sense, as does adhering to prudent measures like staying at home if you feel sick, washing your hands regularly, covering your mouth when coughing and sneezing, and avoiding large social gatherings. All of these can attenuate the spread of the virus.

But we must be measured in our actions so we don’t end up causing more lasting harm than good as we try to protect ourselves and our communities from a new — and scary — infectious disease.

Darren Schulte, M.D., is the CEO of Apixio, a health analytics company.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read today that half of the hospitalized Covid-19 patients in France are under 60 years old, and that the virus is still active in some of the more tropical countries in Asia, so I would say that complacency isn't warranted at this point due to the widely discussed more vulnerable age profile or warmer weather being less hospitable to the virus. Still a lot of unknowns, it seems.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think the government is under reacting. Slowly each day we are being told additional suggested restrictions as well as mandated restrictions. There are still many going out to open stores that are not groceries or drug stores.

The reality is some walk around with no symptoms. I just saw an interview of a man who was on one of the cruises. His wife was in a foreign hospital due to her symptoms. He had no symptons, they decided he should come back to the US, he did but tested positive. She is finally home, and he is still testing positive and after being in a hospital they let him go home to self quarantined. He is getting another test this afternoon. Through the weeks he had no symptoms, was not sick but tested positive, so my deduction is many others are out there with no symptoms but carriers of the virus.

Unless we make it mandatory for all to stay home unless going to drug store or grocery with limitations how close we can be to each other this will keep spreading.

I personally feel it is much worse in the US then we are told. There is an article here and there that younger people are getting extremely sick.

I am not panicking. I am realistically looking at the situation and we need to over react which we as a country are still not, only doing a bit at a time. The only way you will keep people home is if things are shut and it is mandatory. From what they are saying 40% still are not believing it is so bad, including my other half. No way to keep him in as long as he is not mandated to stay home.

I realize how horrible this is financially to businesses and individuals but decisions should not consider this. Only health risks should be in the decisions. We will deal with the financial implications later while helping others that need help now.