• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 27 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 28 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG is asking for recent reviews of older resorts, earn a free year membership!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $17,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $17 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba Ocean Club for 1/30 SOLD OUT in 4 minutes!

WelcomeHome

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked - I called at 9am to book a 1 bedroom for Sat 1/30/10 at the Aruba Ocean club and I was told it's already completely booked even though today at 9:00 was the first day I could make reservations.

The customer service rep told me she took 1 call before me and during that 4 minutes before she took my call the Aruba Ocean Club was sold out for that ENTIRE WEEK.

I was forced to settle for Friday, January 15th. How can this possibly be?

Best wishes,
Dave

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Others will tell you how too but the answer is the 13 month rule that allows owners of two or more Ocean Club weeks to book at 13 months before their travel dates. So at least half of the villas were gone before you picked up your phone today. Sorry, but that is the reality of owning a single Marriott week.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to check out the posting directly below your entitled "Does anyone remember this three week horror story" It sounds as if you will be there during the same week this large group arrives.

WelcomeHome

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm already aware of week 3!

I already read the thread about week 3 - that doesn't mater to me because I'm exchanging the week anyway. (Plus I'm from New York, so I doubt I'd even recognize anything unusual about the week 3 crowd ! ! ! )

The point is that I didn't realize that an owner of a single week at the Ocean Club can get locked out of the week he or she wants after 4 minutes of calling right at 9am on the first day available at the 12 month window.

Best wishes,
Dave

Last edited:

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Welcomehome,

I don't think this is a New York thing. It's just a group of people who don't care about others and treat the resort, staff, and other visitors with no respect. It has nothing to do with where they are from- they could act this way and be from Miami or Ohio- their behaviour would still be unpleasant for others. I've lived in New York and been around many New Yorkers and these people do not sound like typical New Yorkers. This group has been banned from numerous other resorts and hotels on Aruba.

I would be curious to hear how well this week trades for you- I wonder how many people have heard about this situation.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yep, the joy of being single Marriott week owner! Have to go through this every year! For someone like me living on the West Coast, I had to get up before 6 for days before I could get a springbreak week I reserved.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be curious to hear how well this week trades for you- I wonder how many people have heard about this situation.
If this week is being deposited with II, do you think that trading power could be lower in II's system for that week :shrug: ?????

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this week is being deposited with II, do you think that trading power could be lower in II's system for that week :shrug: ?????
No because large groups of people obviously want to get in there to be with the other large groups of people. As I said before, the religious schools are out on Winter Break that week. That's the reason so many want to travel then.

Sunbum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have been the first caller through and did not get a room. If you do the math. 220 rooms, 110 are left for the 12 month owners. If half go on the internet that only leaves 55 rooms for the phone operators. I have no idea how many operators there is????:(

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked - I called at 9am to book a 1 bedroom for Sat 1/30/10 at the Aruba Ocean club and I was told it's already completely booked even though today at 9:00 was the first day I could make reservations.

The customer service rep told me she took 1 call before me and during that 4 minutes before she took my call the Aruba Ocean Club was sold out for that ENTIRE WEEK.

I was forced to settle for Friday, January 15th. How can this possibly be?

Best wishes,
Dave
Let me tell you about the advantages of buying another Marriott week at the Ocean Club!
Sincerely,
Marriott Timeshare Salesman;)

Sunbum

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 weeks gets you no advantage

Let me tell you about the advantages of buying another Marriott week at the Ocean Club!
Sincerely,
Marriott Timeshare Salesman;)
Unless you are prepared to buy 3 or more weeks there is no advantage with 2 weeks. I have been first call through at 9am, 13 months out and there is no inventory. It was booked 13 months + 1 or 2 or 3 weeks out. The only way i can get new years week is to split up by 2 bedrooms and book 13 months + 2 weeks.
Eg: To get new years week, i have to book Dec 14 and Dec 21 to get the 28th. And then rent or give up the first two weeks to II.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you are prepared to buy 3 or more weeks there is no advantage with 2 weeks. I have been first call through at 9am, 13 months out and there is no inventory. It was booked 13 months + 1 or 2 or 3 weeks out. The only way i can get new years week is to split up by 2 bedrooms and book 13 months + 2 weeks.
Eg: To get new years week, i have to book Dec 14 and Dec 21 to get the 28th. And then rent or give up the first two weeks to II.
I don't know that you can compare getting weeks 51 and 52 to other weeks during the Platinum season though. Those weeks are in such high demand there that I would venture to guess that many multiple week owners are trying to book 51 and 52, so it would make sense you'd need to book at week 50 to get it.

sullco

Reaction score
Marriott's critical flaw is their reservation system. If you want style, great locations, and a reservation system that gives you the certainty you deserve, buy Hyatt.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's critical flaw is their reservation system. If you want style, great locations, and a reservation system that gives you the certainty you deserve, buy Hyatt.
Since I'm not familiar Hyatt (reservations, etc.) with this---please explain.

Thanks,
Pat

(sorry about the seemingly double post---but a poster had posted between our two portions of this thread, and I should have used the 'QUOTE' feature---please delete previous posts)