• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Article: Rethinking the Coronavirus Shutdown

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
if you know the case numbers, publish them, nobody else has that knowledge.

My sister in law was tested and 3 days later the results came back positive. Her husband came down with the same symptoms, asked his doctor if he should be tested and he told him no, just assume that he is positive and act accordingly. That small sample indicates the actual cases are twice what has been reported. I'm assuming that it's higher. There's evidence that half infected don't have any symptoms.
I guess the cdc doesn't count as someone.

Here is the link already published.

from the report

Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged ≥85 years, start highlight36%end highlight were aged 65–84 years, 17% were aged 55–64 years, 18% were 45–54 years, and 20% were aged 20–44 years. Less than 1% of hospitalizations were among persons aged ≤19 years (Figure 2). The percentage of persons hospitalized increased with age, from 2%–3% among persons aged start highlight≤19end highlight years, to ≥31% among adults aged ≥85 years.

There are many more like this. If you do not believe the CDC then feel free to google it yourself. Of course if you just listen to the experts (ie Fauci) they have been getting this word out now for a week to dispel the misinformation that this disease does not affect young people. Their outcomes are better but they are still getting the disease with substantial health consequences.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure exactly how we are defining case numbers, but I’m assuming we are defining the number of actual reported cases. If so, this is a dashboard that is pulling data from the Johns Hopkins database. The JH dashboard for laptops/desktops is here:

The mobile device version is here:

This mobile device live dashboard, pulling from the same data source, I find to be most useful to easily look at to answer case related questions:

Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What good is that information? NYC is only testing those hospitalized. It's likely most people infected aren't tested.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don’t have a chart just like these by US state, I do have a HEAT map for the US:

It’s all available for free here:

I found those HEAT maps are pretty useless. If you look at NY it looks like the entire state is covered, but the circles are just a guage of how many cases. The more cases, the bigger the circle. Over half of NY cases are in and around NY city.

My thought on the trajectory map is since many states are larger in population than many countries in the world (certainly in cases like Europe), it may be of interest to see the trajectory at a state level. Right now comparing USA to individual countries in Europe isn't necessarily accurate. Comparing all of Europe to all of the US is a better measure or comparing each country in Europe to each state in the US is a better comparison.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess the cdc doesn't count as someone.

Here is the link already published.

Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized,

I don't see the point in even considering 508 cases.
I'm not talking about this anymore, forever.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see the point in even considering 508 cases.
I'm not talking about this anymore, forever.
Again feel free to google it. I have seen the same numbers in many reports. I used the CDC one because of the irrefutable source. Find one that supports your premise or stop talking about it your choice.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Again feel free to google it. I have seen the same numbers in many reports. I used the CDC one because of the irrefutable source. Find one that supports your premise or stop talking about it your choice.

From what I have read, you are correct that COVID-19 afflicts both young and old. In fact, an infant just died in Illinois. Death rate is higher among the old but having an underlying health condition puts people at higher risk than just age alone. CDC reported that 8 out of 10 deaths are in people over age 65. I wonder if the younger people (under 65) who die from COVID-19 have underlying conditions that make them more susceptible?

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I found those HEAT maps are pretty useless. If you look at NY it looks like the entire state is covered, but the circles are just a guage of how many cases. The more cases, the bigger the circle. Over half of NY cases are in and around NY city.

My thought on the trajectory map is since many states are larger in population than many countries in the world (certainly in cases like Europe), it may be of interest to see the trajectory at a state level. Right now comparing USA to individual countries in Europe isn't necessarily accurate. Comparing all of Europe to all of the US is a better measure or comparing each country in Europe to each state in the US is a better comparison.

Agreed I don’t like the HEAT map that much either except in so far as showing the level of activity across the country and where we should focus resources.

There’s another chart below that shows the most impacted sub national areas:

dd71d61f4ced518094adfad8ed3fa56a.jpg

Granted not state based, but the worst impacted states are present on this chart at least.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Canada is considerably larger than the U.S., in sheer land mass, but has about one tenth the human population, some 36,983,180 compared to the US at 376,031,546. The entire population of Canada is about the same as can be found in the state of California.
Correct so with 1/10 the population you would expect 1/10 the numbers of USA. Canada is obviously doing considerably better.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Canada most likely has certain demographic and population density advantages that will benefit your country when compared to the US, but Canada is also a couple weeks behind the US in so far as the death rates are concerned along the x axis so you are simply earlier in the curve than the US:

7e381c028de1f1daa590b8192b9f8536.jpg

fe38170a7870086948f8e6915ad0f103.jpg

Canada is currently tracking along the exact same trajectory as the U.K.:

bc921a15bde6d4df0cc1708c9482210b.jpg

I pray your country can blunt the curve just like everyone else - but the data tells the story - Canada is about a week behind the U.K. at present. Your healthcare system will most likely also be overwhelmed by the coronavirus within the next ten days. The coronavirus doesn’t discriminate between multi-payer vs single payer healthcare systems - just ask Italy - which has a single payer system, along with most of the EU countries.

The only countries that have done well to date are Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Vietnam (Japan appears to be doing well but the consensus is that they have a data reporting problem). They didn’t do well because of superior healthcare systems - they did well because they adopted a combination of aggressive widespread testing, social distancing, quarantining and contact tracing before the outbreaks took hold.

I pray whatever Canada is doing produces the results that we see from South Korea - blunting the curve and saving many lives in the process.

Amen, thanks for prayers! Your interpretations are contrary to Canadian expert interpretations so we will only know at the end. The only thing we know is that USA will have the highest deaths per population in the end, and there will be a lot of finger pointing and conspiracy theories.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Correct so with 1/10 the population you would expect 1/10 the numbers of USA. Canada is obviously doing considerably better.

Time will tell. Todays numbers are not tomorrows, they are behind us.

Last edited:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Time will tell. Todays numbers are tomorrows, they are behind us.
This century's movement to "evidence-based" decision making has certainly left alot of people behind.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
What good is that information? NYC is only testing those hospitalized. It's likely most people infected aren't tested.

Are you kidding? Data is important. Tracking actual case reported data is critical - as it is the actuals that are used as part of algorithmic modeling calculations that the CDC publishes to provide ranges for estimated infections that you are asking about.

You do realize that almost ALL published infectious disease data is not actual data yes? It’s based upon actual data then reverse engineered to estimate the number of infections based upon other data points such as R-naught and transmission rates just to name two. Even in countries that have very aggressive testing protocols - like South Korea - they have only tested one out of every 150 people on average. We are around one for every 900 here in the US at present - and ramping up from there.

Last edited:

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think that Karen G's point was Canada has less population density which should equate to lower transmission rates.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think that Karen G's point was Canada has less population density which should equate to lower transmission rates.

That's only accurate if Canadians are equally distant from each other. As has already been said, most Canadians live along their southern border. Think of Vancouver and Toronto density, just as two examples. Still, it does appear Vancouver was able to catch it sufficiently early to minimize exposure and mimic the South Korea results...let's hope. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...-in-its-battle-against-covid-19-bc-gets-some/

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's only accurate if Canadians are equally distant from each other. As has already been said, most Canadians live along their southern border. Think of Vancouver and Toronto density, just as two examples. Still, it does appear Vancouver was able to catch it sufficiently early to minimize exposure and mimic the South Korea results...let's hope. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...-in-its-battle-against-covid-19-bc-gets-some/

Right that does make sense thanks. I'm actually surprised that Vancouver has fared as well as it has thus far given the demographics.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The population density of Toronto and Vancouver are about 10,000 per square mile. In New York City it is 24,000 per square mile.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The population density of Toronto and Vancouver are about 10,000 per square mile. In New York City it is 24,000 per square mile.

I did not say they were equal. In fact, I did not mention NYC at all.

Population density is relative. But do we really know a safe amount?

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to put a little more context in terms of Canada, US, and China in terms of size:
Canada - 9.98 square km
United States - 9.83 square km
China - 9.60 square km

We are splitting hairs on the size of the three. I think we all know which one has the most people and the least. Guess which one will have the fewest cases and deaths? Guess which country's people travel the least per capita?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wrong... as another posted above, everyone in Canada lives on the USA border, same density as USA neighbours.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm from Ottawa but staying in BC until this is over. As you said, doing a great job here. Poor Quebec, had their school spring break early so lots of work to do.