• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you ready to be tested?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just saw they have opened a few sites in my vicinity (Riverside County, CA) that are able to do testing (I'm guessing for free) for anyone who wants to be tested.

I'm wondering if there is a reason for a person without symptoms to get tested. If it was the antibodies test I would be more likely to get it done.

Also, if I was closer to me. This is quite a drive into an area that has a much higher number of positive cases than my small community. So at this moment I have decided not to make an appointment.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I too would like a test that shows if I’ve already had it....so maybe my antibodies could be used. We both became very ill at the end of our Disney vacation early February, right after the travel ban from a China was implemented. We both had the flu shot in early fall along with the shingles vaccine. We both saw our doctor upon returning and he treated us for flu and bronchitis. I felt better a few days later and then could barely get out of bed the following week. Very weird. Don’t want to just get the test for the heck of it and take it away from someone else. I was overjoyed yesterday when my state reported only 132 new deaths from the previous day.....it’s been over 300 daily fir a number of days. So I’m thinking the strain on the testing will start to slow. If you have a Rite Aid near by, they are doing testing by appointment in a few locations in NJ, NY, PA and I think California (maybe that’s the one you were speaking of).

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If tests were abundant, and I wasn't taking one from someone who needed it, sure I'd be tested.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
The reason to be tested without symptoms is to determine if you are a carrier so you can avoid infecting others. I live in an over-55 community and we keep asking if anybody here has it, but we don't know. I would hate to have it without knowing and to be the one to infect my neighbors. The other reason to be tested is for scientific data. The more tests, the more we know what percentage of the population has it and the better the future decisions will be. Without testing, nobody can really say with assurance that they don't have it.

At this point, especially for those who are able to isolate themselves, I think the antibody test will be the one worth getting. There are still big questions as to whether antibodies = immunity and, if so, for how long etc. Again, the more tests, the better the data which will lead to better treatments and decisions in the future.

Whichever test, it needs to be easy to get with quick results. If you have to drive a long distance with much greater exposure to other people, it doesn't make sense. I'll wait until it gets closer and keep playing it safe.

Sue

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
They have rolled out antibody testing here in NY today, but they have not yet actually advised us on how to go about getting it. I was sick with an unusual respiratory illness in December. I am curious to see how my titers will turn out.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Absolutely. We have had a couple of test sites open in the county but the lines have been ridiculous. Also, the people I know who have been tested (all negative - for both covid 19 and antibodies) have had to pay. It seems to me that it was about $75. And one testing company has already had to shut down because their credentials aren't in order. I'm waiting for the dust to settle.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
So far its still hard to get tested near me, or least last time i checked it was. I don't believe they will test you if you don't have symptoms.

My wife and I will definitely get the antibody testing once its available, so far i have not been able to find. We were both super sick back in early January and my wife even ended up in the hospital twice.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As with most responses here, I wouldn't get tested unless I was experiencing symptoms. Why would anyone? It only takes away a test from someone who really needs it. Now if an antibodies test was available, I would definitely get one.

Kurt

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Unless I am sick, no reason to take a test to see if I have it. I can test negative this morning and be exposed and get it this afternoon. Even to test to see if you are currently asymptomatic has the same problem,

An antibody test is what I am waiting for. I think it will show lots who had it, some who had no symptoms and some who were sick and didn’t realize it was the virus.

If I would test that I had it there is so much I can volunteer to do to help. I realize if I had it doesn’t ensure I won’t get it again but it will show me that my immune system was working good enough.

geekette

Reaction score
I haven't been sick, that I know of, and started distancing in Feb. There is no reason to request a test. Put someone else in line in front of me.

However, I was already on the research list from my (university) hospital network, they have my blood from mid Feb. And a few other samples from a few other years. They have apparently been well-supplied with tests but they also have pos patients. Weeks ago, they were asking for plasma from definite positives/recovered. Woulda donated if I qualified. We have a lot of great govt/biz/academic partnerships going on.

So, if they wanted to see if I am truly clean or maybe had it secretly in late Feb, I would donate blood. If, the next time I see a doc, they want to test me, ok.

I do not want to take part in medication studies, but am ok with blood snapshots, plasma donations, and tests. One problem we are going to have for a while is sussing out the true reliability of different tests, so we really do need to do as much testing as possible as quickly as possible to get the data piling up. I'd prefer to wait for spit in a cup or prick my finger thing vs nasal swab.

Around here, it is still only the first responders (this includes all people doing any work outside of home), their households, past 65 + high risk, and nursing homes. There is at least one county doing drive through for anyone. I hope every community that has a nursing home outbreak will do this free drive through.

Until testing is widespread, I'm not a good candidate, except for testing the tests. I should be consistently negative, don't have it now, never did. I am watching for them to want never had it plasma and I'll go do that.

Once upon a time, I helped test the software that went along with the Accu test stuff for diabetics. It sure would be handy to have a portable pin prick device.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I’m on my way to get tested now.

We’ve been asked to take our temps before going in to work every day. Mine was elevated 2x this morning although I felt fine. Temp is back to normal now.

But per protocol for our company, my next step is to get tested. I went online to the LA County public health website where I had my choice of times to come in for testing. It’s drive through, free, and you swab yourself. They give you a 1 hr window as your appointment time.

I have a letter from work identifying me as an essential worker, we got these a few weeks ago. Supposedly I get expedited test results.

We shall see how it goes.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless I am sick, no reason to take a test to see if I have it. I can test negative this morning and be exposed and get it this afternoon. Even to test to see if you are currently asymptomatic has the same problem,

An antibody test is what I am waiting for. I think it will show lots who had it, some who had no symptoms and some who were sick and didn’t realize it was the virus.

If I would test that I had it there is so much I can volunteer to do to help. I realize if I had it doesn’t ensure I won’t get it again but it will show me that my immune system was working good enough.
This is why I was hesitating to do it -- test negative today, but no guarantee for tomorrow. Also, if I happen to be one who is Asymptomatic, what happens then?

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I’m on my way to get tested now.

We’ve been asked to take our temps before going in to work every day. Mine was elevated 2x this morning although I felt fine. Temp is back to normal now.

But per protocol for our company, my next step is to get tested. I went online to the LA County public health website where I had my choice of times to come in for testing. It’s drive through, free, and you swab yourself. They give you a 1 hr window as your appointment time.

I have a letter from work identifying me as an essential worker, we got these a few weeks ago. Supposedly I get expedited test results.

We shall see how it goes.

Well that was easy.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
How long until you get your results?

They say 24-72 hrs from the time the lab gets the sample. So sometime between tomorrow and Friday, I imagine.

The site was drive up. You arrived, drive to station 1 where they give you basic directions from a distance while you sit in your car with the window cracked a little, then you roll up your window and drive to station 2 where someone attaches your test kit to your side mirror, then you drive to station 3 where you're instructed to roll down your window, retrieve the test kit, then close your window, take a picture of your test's bar code, and then drive to station 4. At station 4, you crack your car window and someone gives you instructions on how to take your sample and package it. Then you close you car window, collect the sample, package it. And finally you drive over to the sample collection barrel and drop it in. Then you're done and you exit the test site.

There was also a video explaining all this that was emailed to you when you registered for the test. But the human help made it pretty foolproof. The testing site is a 5 min drive from my house so the entire process took me maybe 15-20 min, including driving to the test site and back home again.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I will have a choice as I live in a CCRC with 425-450 others (none infected as far as we know). I suspect that one day they will swoop in and test all of us...

George

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get an antibodies test. I won't want to take a regular test unless I am sick or find out that I have been exposed to Covid19.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They are now rolling out Abbot labs fast testing to All essential Detroit workers who want/need it. So iam hopeful that Oakland County will also roll this out soon for essential workers here.