• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you preparing for a possible Covid-19 outbreak at home?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, the CDC announced that Covid-19 will most likely become an issue here in the US also and noted that hospitals, schools, etc should start to prepare.

On the cruise news thread that Richard has been adding to Bogey21 asked "If you believe that the Coronavirus will inevitably spread to and maybe across the US, are you doing anything to prepare. I'm referring to things like loading up on food so you can self quarantine if things get bad in your community..."

I think this would be a great stand alone thread.

Personally, I have done nothing for home. But, I am preparing a bit more for my March travels. (cross country flights, Disneyland and Cruise)
Over the last few days have purchased: 15 N95 masks and 6 P95 masks (need to research the P ones), 6 cans of travel size lysol, travel hand sanitizer, travel packs of lysol wipes and a small pack of rubber gloves.

Tip on the masks: Home improvement stores typically restock overnight. This morning I noticed my local Lowes has the N95 masks available for purchase online/pick up in store. When I arrived this morning to pick up they couldn't find the box they had, so I purchased the P95 masks, then they called me later to say they found the box and my order was ready.

I have a friend who leads teams on vaccination discoveries. He believes it will be a few months before we see anything out of control, but I know he has already been to Costco to stock up on certain items.

I think about what items I would want to stockpile in my own home. My first thought was booze. I need to readjust my priorities :)

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing different here. However we have a well stocked pantry and freezer that could probably feed us for 6 months in an emergency. If I did not I would certainly be doing a large grocery trip to be ready just in case.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As recommended in another TUG thread, I stocked up on prescription meds and have a good supply of antibiotic hand stuff as well as Lysol and Clorox wipes. we have a well stocked pantry and freezer. My CPAP will function as a ventilator in a pinch.

Here's hoping all these preparations are not needed.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 29 million flu illnesses, 280,000 hospitalizations and 16,000 deaths from flu.

Corona Virus
SITUATION IN NUMBERS total and new cases in last 24 hours Globally 81109 confirmed (871 new): China 78191 confirmed (412 new) 2718 deaths (52 new): Outside of China 2918 confirmed (459 new) 37 countries (4 new) 43 deaths (9 new)

So there is no vaccine but I would conclude from these numbers I am more likely to catch and die from the flu than the corona virus. ( I did get my flu shot...did you?) Seems like a bit of overreaction to me

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Nothing different here. However we have a well stocked pantry and freezer that could probably feed us for 6 months in an emergency. If I did not I would certainly be doing a large grocery trip to be ready just in case.

It flitted across my brain to wonder about food. We couldn't go 6 months, but could survive a southern CA earthquake disruption for 3-4 weeks. Since we will eventually be moving to an "old folks home" and won't have the pantry and refrigerator (3, count 'em, 3) space we do now, I've been trying to get used to not stocking up just because the price on Progresso soup or Ragu sauce is good (good price on Milanos, all bets are off). But I may buy a few more cans/jars on my next shopping trip. And some pasta and rice. Also very conscious right now of keeping my hands away from my face -- because I have mobility issues I do need to use hand rails on stairs which bugs me. Time to put a decent sized bottle of hand sanitizer in each car.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 29 million flu illnesses, 280,000 hospitalizations and 16,000 deaths from flu.

Corona Virus
SITUATION IN NUMBERS total and new cases in last 24 hours Globally 81109 confirmed (871 new): China 78191 confirmed (412 new) 2718 deaths (52 new): Outside of China 2918 confirmed (459 new) 37 countries (4 new) 43 deaths (9 new)

So there is no vaccine but I would conclude from these numbers I am more likely to catch and die from the flu than the corona virus. ( I did get my flu shot...did you?) Seems like a bit of overreaction to me
Exactly. Yet most USA folk are media headline sheep who didnt geta flu shot.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I’m upping my life insurance from $664k to $924k just in case anything happens to me.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just order 4 months of my 12 hour claritin which is normally very hard to get. 24 hours is easy but doesn’t work as well for me. Definitely do not want to run out of these. Stocked my home with more then usual shelf food items as most are ordered online and due to gluten free needs already hard to get locally. Masks I have R95 at home but had them already as I was sealing grout. I am assuming, maybe wrongly they are as good as n95.

With this, I still feel the flu is more dangerous. My departed dad never recovered fully from the flu and ended up with sepsis. The elderly and frail are the most in danger. I want to be prepared if I am told to stay home. I would not want to be a carrier and make someone else sick.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We were big preppers at our former home - had everything you could think of and a big stock pile of food - and could survive for a really long time, but now that we just moved to this little house not at all. Heck- my fridge and freezer are so small I just about can put enough food for the week in it and we are just 2 people! I can’t get used to it. But I am more concerned right now about our son who has to travel to California for work in two weeks- involving airports and planes.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We are already prepared for many things. Nothing better than being prepared, imo. The FEMA website, ready.gov, recently placed a corona virus section on their home page and updated their section on pan-endemic to include corona virus.

What is worth remembering regarding corona virus is currently the main response to outbreaks are quarantines. The best defense is to stay healthy. Echinacea is a known to have anti-viral properties that raises the numbers of white blood cells to help fight off a cold or virus.

Here are the top ten natural anti-viral remedies.

We have Natures Way Echinacea caps and Natures Way Elderberry caps. We buy this at Amazon.

Bill

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Corona Virus

What is odd is many people each year pass away from the flu but there hasn't been a quarantine that I can remember. Corona virus can cause big problems in the lungs and from what I read heart. Flu, not so much. We did get flu shots but it seems like over half the time its not for the current flu, lol.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What is odd is many people each year pass away from the flu but there hasn't been a quarantine that I can remember. Corona virus can cause big problems in the lungs and from what I read heart. Flu, not so much. We did get flu shots but it seems like over half the time its not for the current flu, lol.

Bill
That's because the flu is not quarantinable - it doesn't make people sick enough. See that article in The Atlantic that I linked to above. SARS was quarantinable. Ebola is. Flu isn't.

Corona virus probably isn't either - at least not any more. Too many people can carry it with few, or even no, symptoms. As the article notes, it's likely to simply become endemic, much like the Asian flu is now. Vaccines will be developed. But viruses mutate readily, so just as you need to get a new flu shot each year (because the virus has mutated from what it was a year), we'll end up getting a COVID shot as well. Each year people will get sick - like the flu, most will recover, lesser numbers will get become severely ill, and a certain number will die. Just as happens with the flu.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark

Corona Virus

Its most certainly not an overreaction. The Morbidity rate for the common flu is 0.1% meaning out of 1000 people, 1 will die. The Morbidity rate for COVID-19 is roughly 9% meaning 90 die out of 1000. Also the Ro for the SARS-CoV2 virus is roughly 4.0 where for the common flu its 1.3. While there is not much of a threat in North America at this time, if it gets here there will be a total disruption of our economy and society. What's worse is thinking about every third rate terrorist that is clamering to get the virus and weaponize it.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's because the flu is not quarantinable - it doesn't make people sick enough. See that article in The Atlantic that I linked to above. SARS was quarantinable. Ebola is. Flu isn't.

Corona virus probably isn't either - at least not any more. Too many people can carry it with few, or even no, symptoms. As the article notes, it's likely to simply become endemic, much like the Asian flu is now. Vaccines will be developed. But viruses mutate readily, so just as you need to get a new flu shot each year (because the virus has mutated from what it was a year), we'll end up getting a COVID shot as well. Each year people will get sick - like the flu, most will recover, lesser numbers will get become severely ill, and a certain number will die. Just as happens with the flu.
COVID-19 is not a virus its a disease. The virus is Sars-CoV2. Yes, its a Corona Virus like the common cold. No, its not the same. This virus is much more contagious and deadly than the common flu or even SARS before it. It has the ability to shut down our society and economy IF it gets here. The reason millions are not infected and 10,000's dead is a because of the draconian measures China has imposed on its people. I'm not sure that would happen in Western democracies.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its most certainly not an overreaction. The Morbidity rate for the common flu is 0.1% meaning out of 1000 people, 1 will die. The Morbidity rate for COVID-19 is roughly 9% meaning 90 die out of 1000. Also the Ro for the SARS-CoV2 virus is roughly 4.0 where for the common flu its 1.3. While there is not much of a threat in North America at this time, if it gets here there will be a total disruption of our economy and society. What's worse is thinking about every third rate terrorist that is clamering to get the virus and weaponize it.
Where are you getting your numbers from? Every news article indicates COVID-19 has 2% to 3% fatality rate. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/study-72000-covid-19-patients-finds-23-death-rate

SARS had 10% fatality.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I’m upping my life insurance from $664k to $924k just in case anything happens to me.
Lol. Sarcasm appreciated

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where are you getting your numbers from? Every news article indicates COVID-19 has 2% to 3% fatality rate. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/study-72000-covid-19-patients-finds-23-death-rate

SARS had 10% fatality.
They base the 2% number on total cases including those that are active. The 9% is the true number of closed cases. 91% recovered and 9% dead. SARS was not nearly as dangerous and only resulted in less than 800 deaths over 18 months.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They base the 2% number on total cases including those that are active. The 9% is the true number of closed cases. 91% recovered and 9% dead. SARS was not nearly as dangerous and only resulted in less than 800 deaths over 18 months.

Again, where are you geting the numbers? In the models which I have seen, there are many more unaccounted as having infection because their cases were mild and have recovered. No data shows 9% fatality.

Look here for tracking of COVID-19 in Singapore. 93 cases, 62 discharged, 31 still in the hospital including 7 in ICU. 0 death.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Again, where are you geting the numbers? In the models which I have seen, there are many more unaccounted as having infection because their cases were mild and have recovered. No data shows 9% fatality.

Look here for tracking of COVID-19 in Singapore. 93 cases, 62 discharged, 31 still in the hospital including 7 in ICU. 0 death.