• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you preparing for a possible Covid-19 outbreak at home?

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Over the last few days have purchased: 15 N95 masks and 6 P95 masks (need to research the P ones), 6 cans of travel size lysol, travel hand sanitizer, travel packs of lysol wipes and a small pack of rubber gloves.

There are a number of fit styles and sizes of N95. If you have not been professionally fit tested for a proper fitted N95 mask, you are wasting your $$. Just as well to place a Kleenex over your face. N95s dont work without a proper fit test.

I do have a knowledge base on use of these products. I see people is airports all the time mishandling their respirator masks for coffee, food, dealing with their children, etc. thereby causing added risk than no N95.

If in doubt, here is 3M's video on proper fit testing:

If you have any facial hair, you cannot use a N95. You cannot obtain a proper seal.

There are products available that do not require fit testing and that can be used with facial hair. The unit is a powered air purifying respirator ("PAPR"). There are a number of manufacturers. Be prepared to spend $1200 - $1500. Also not sure if you will clear airport security with one.

Best advice per CDC and WHO, "wash your hands", "wash your hands" and "wash your hands".

You are at a much greater risk of dying of the flu than Covid19. Look at your local state or provinces death count of influenza and Covid19 this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrQ

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Again, where are you geting the numbers? In the models which I have seen, there are many more unaccounted as having infection because their cases were mild and have recovered. No data shows 9% fatality.

Look here for tracking of COVID-19 in Singapore. 93 cases, 62 discharged, 31 still in the hospital including 7 in ICU. 0 death.

Italy now has 12 deaths and only 3 recoveries. Its also impacting men at a much higher rate than women. Men are 59%-71% of cases depending on the country.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If patients who ultimately die, succumb to it within a short time, and patients who recover take longer time to be confirmed as recovered, then simply using death vs. recovered numbers is not the correct way to calculate fatality rate. Hence the study shows that fatality rate is closer to 2.3%.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are a number of fit styles and sizes of N95. If you have not been professionally fit tested for a proper fitted N95 mask, you are wasting your $$. Just as well to place a Kleenex over your face. N95s dont work without a proper fit test.

I do have a knowledge base on use of these products. I see people is airports all the time mishandling their respirator masks for coffee, food, dealing with their children, etc. thereby causing added risk than no N95.

If in doubt, here is 3M's video on proper fit testing:

If you have any facial hair, you cannot use a N95. You cannot obtain a proper seal.

There are products available that do not require fit testing and that can be used with facial hair. The unit is a powered air purifying respirator ("PAPR"). There are a number of manufacturers. Be prepared to spend $1200 - $1500. Also not sure if you will clear airport security with one.

Best advice per CDC and WHO, "wash your hands", "wash your hands" and "wash your hands".

You are at a much greater risk of dying of the flu than Covid19. Look at your local state or provinces death count of influenza and Covid19 this year.
[/QUOTE]
I do this for a living. If we end up with sustained person-to-person spread over here you are going to want them. With SARS-CoV2 you are at risk if you come within 6 feet of an infected person. Pick them up while you can. Fit testing as described in your video is a regulatory compliance issue. Fit testing is not complicated and anyone can do it with practice. When its here the CDC will change their position. The current guidance is on the fact that its not circulating in North America.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If patients who ultimately die, succumb to it within a short time, and patients who recover take longer time to be confirmed as recovered, then simply using death vs. recovered numbers is not the correct way to calculate fatality rate. Hence the study shows that fatality rate is closer to 2.3%.
Even if we look at total numbers the kill rate is 3.4%. e.g. 2800 is 3.4% of 82,000.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You are assuming the confirmed cases that have not closed are going to have the same death % to closed cases. Too soon to assume that. In addition they are now saying many are having minimal symptoms so there could be many not included in confirmed cases which would also reduce the %.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 29 million flu illnesses, 280,000 hospitalizations and 16,000 deaths from flu.

Corona Virus
SITUATION IN NUMBERS total and new cases in last 24 hours Globally 81109 confirmed (871 new): China 78191 confirmed (412 new) 2718 deaths (52 new): Outside of China 2918 confirmed (459 new) 37 countries (4 new) 43 deaths (9 new)

So there is no vaccine but I would conclude from these numbers I am more likely to catch and die from the flu than the corona virus. ( I did get my flu shot...did you?) Seems like a bit of overreaction to me

For me.....my concern is not catching and dying from it. My concern is that it would be easy to get swept up in the overreaction to it. example: I'm on a plane and subsequently find out the guy 5 rows back that was coughing the whole time had it. Now, it is suggested to me to self quarantine/be quarantined for xx days. So, I am opting to travel next month with items that will help simply keep all "cooties" away.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Was going to get prepared for it but woke up this morning to find out the VP has been appointed the Covid czar! Feel much better now. Besides, as soon as things start warming up in April the problem will go away!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
First case in the U.S. where they cannot trace to foreign contact. Unknown how this person caught this and who this person infected including health care workers.. The Sacramento hospital waited 4 days before testing for corona and it took days to get test results.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta just reported that the U.S. government is not aggressively testing/surveilling cases so numbers are likely under-reported. [Political content removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
What is odd is many people each year pass away from the flu but there hasn't been a quarantine that I can remember. Corona virus can cause big problems in the lungs and from what I read heart. Flu, not so much. We did get flu shots but it seems like over half the time its not for the current flu, lol.

Bill

Exactly! Which is why I do not get flu shots!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
First case in the U.S. where they cannot trace to foreign contact. Unknown how this person caught this and who this person infected including health care workers.. The Sacramento hospital waited 4 days before testing for corona and it took days to get test results.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta just reported that the U.S. government is not testing/surveilling cases so numbers are likely under-reported. [Political content removed.]

While hoping we could keep this in proper perspective, being this is a medical issue and not a political one, bringing [some particular content] into this has
crossed a certain line. A line that I don't always agree with however, one that must be adhered to by all of us.

Much like Fox News has it's own agenda it leans to on occasion, CNN News and thus Dr. Sanjay Gupta, has theirs. I've read several articles that would
disagree with CNN's and Dr. Gupta's assessment of this situation, but it's best not to begin posting those here.

Shouldn't we keep our political opinions and viewpoints out of this? :ponder:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
One thing I have always relied on in business is to look at the underlying agenda behind why someone would say something.

Stock market is a politically independent bellwether on this situation. [Political content removed.]

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in a CCRC which has something around 500 residents in a relatively confined area, particularly in our dining area. I have sufficient milk, cereal, water and frozen dinners to survive a 14 day quarantine in my apartment if necessary...

George

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm taking a head-in-the-sand approach.
If my neighbors start to disappear or my cruise is cancelled, I'll take notice.
Until then, I'm not buying into the hysteria.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I have always relied on in business is to look at the underlying agenda behind why someone would say something.

Stock market is a politically independent bellwether on this situation. [Political content removed.]

Glad to see you were concerned about the political implications in your posts and decided to edit them.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Also called mind reading.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No protection is better than some?

I’m almost 64 years old and never had the flu (except when I was a kid) or gotten the flu shot and I worked in the health care industry in and out of medical offices and facilities day in and day out every day.

This said, I am not saying as I age I will never get a flu shot but I am really hoping they come up with a universal one. They are close from what I understand but who knows?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panic is never helpful. However I think everyone should take personal responsibility to have enough supplies to survive 14 days without outside support. We have had many lessons over the years from Hurricane Katrina to Puerto Rico on this. In today's "just in time economy", food will be gone from the shelves in a day or two.

Brett

Reaction score
Was going to get prepared for it but woke up this morning to find out the VP has been appointed the Covid czar! Feel much better now. Besides, as soon as things start warming up in April the problem will go away!

yes, Coronavirus Czar is now on duty
in a couple of weeks this will all seem like a bad dream ;)

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Yesterday, the CDC announced that Covid-19 will most likely become an issue here in the US also and noted that hospitals, schools, etc should start to prepare.

On the cruise news thread that Richard has been adding to Bogey21 asked "If you believe that the Coronavirus will inevitably spread to and maybe across the US, are you doing anything to prepare. I'm referring to things like loading up on food so you can self quarantine if things get bad in your community..."

First, a 90-day supply of all prescription medications, and maintain that 90-day supply going forward. You should also lay in a decent inventory of OTC meds. Aspirin, Tylenol, large bags is Ricola cough drops, Allegra, Benedryl, cough meds containing guaifenesin as an expectorant and Sudafed. Buy them separately (e.g. not Nyquil) so you can use only the ones you need.

Next, non-perishable food for 30 days. If COVID-19 gets bad then you won't want to allow food delivery, you will want to prevent anyone from crossing your door threshold, in or out. Dead-drops of food or supplies on your porch would potentially allow the virus access to your home. In the likely event that you don't need this preparation you can spend the next month eating through your food supply. It's your reward for being prepared.