• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

??? Are you happy with your Sears Kenmore Upright Freezers -

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our 10 yr old Kenmore Upright freezer (not refrigerator/freezer) blew a compressor :annoyed: and we were advised to buy new one and not replace old.

The reviews for different Kenmore uprights are few and very discouraging! We are looking at 16 cu.ft. size with automatic defrost.

If you have one you like, could we have the Model No. Would be forever grateful!!!

Or should we be forgetting Kenmores and buy another brand? :confused:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Our smaller (10 cf?) Kenmore upright has been running for 18 years straight in our sometimes-115-degree garage. The one before that ran over ten years before a beginning driver misjudged the depth of the garage.

The compressor is the only "moving part" in a freezer, so if the box is in good shape, and the seals are still OK, I'd strongly consider replacing the compressor. OTOH, freezers are pretty inexpensive and the one you buy today will sip less electricity than an older one ... but not by a lot. By the way, chest freezers are even more efficient, but they do take up a lot of floor space.

Self-defrosting models use about twice as much power as non-self-defrosting, as they warm up their coils daily to prevent accumulation of frost. I manually defrost once a year, usually in August, by removing the food to a clean trashcan and waiting 20 minutes for the ice to fall out (in the 115 degree garage). This is actually a good thing, as I discover the 11-month-old chicken and the ice-encrusted rolls from last Thanksgiving and throw them out, thus preventing or at least limiting "freezer clutter."

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bought mine in 1985 and is going great. Smaller size, maybe about 12 ft? Auto defrost. Love it.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I refuse to buy the auto-defrost models because the food doesn't keep nearly as long or as well. As mentioned, it's not that big a pain to defrost them when the time comes and it is a good chance to tidy up. We just bought a new Kenmore chest type. I finally found one upright that didn't have the auto-defrost feature, but it just didn't seem to hold as much as the chest.

Sheila

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
isisdave: We actually called out the Sears repairman and HE was the one who advised us to buy a new one! ($75 down the drain). Hmmm, have to give your idea some thought -- thank you!

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
A concern I have is that the Sears 'quality' has gone astray in the last 5 years or so. The old appliances were definitely great -- but how about since they started carrying all brands?

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a new Kenmore Upright Auto-frost freezer two years ago. I think it's maybe around 15 cubic feet (a larger model)... I'd have to go check. We used the free financing for 12 months and paid it in full on the last day, so no finance charges at all.

The only issue I've had with it is it doesn't automatically turn back on if there's a power interruption. This was a real bummer to find out as we live it a place where the power goes out frequently (a whole other issue :mad: ), even if just for a few seconds. The old Kenmore did not have this power back on problem. So I lost 1 freezer of food and caught it the 2nd/3rd time before too much was lost, before realizing just what the heck was happening (I thought the freezer was malfunctioning all by itself).

Anyway, we solved the problem by buying a battery backup thingy... and the damn thing cost about half what the freezer did :mad:. But no problems since. And otherwise, I do like it... easy to get food in and out, large storage space, no building up of ice.

If you want the model info stuff, let me know and I'll give it to you.