• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are we the only ones finding 'hidden treasures' in the pantry?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We ran out of Bisquick for shortcake, and while going through the pantry found a forgotten cake mix, some 'low carb' and gluten free baking items. Some of these might have been acquired when we were on a low carb weight loss journey, or when DW was (mistakenly it turns out) diagnosed as having ciliac (sp?) disease. Then I got looking behind various selves and on the bottoms of drawers. Not to worry, we really DO empty the fridge/freezer and send odd items to Mount Trashmore. Oh, yes, and there are dog treats in the back/bottom of the pet supplies area that perhaps 'Mr. Bear' was not as fond of the first time they came home from the store, and languished.

Anybody else finding goodies that have been buried behind 'normal' day-to-day items?

When we get released from quarantine, hopefully we'll have either used the perfectly good, but unused pantry items or pitched them and opened up some space to stash stuff we REALLY want to keep around.

Jim

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I decided to get the Christmas turkey carcasses out of the freezer the other day to make a big batch of soup. While searching in my pantry for noodles or something to put in the soup, I found a bag of alphabet pasta that was left from when our kids were little. It was the only pasta/noodles our DS#2 wanted in home made soup. He is now 34 yrs old!! The bag was still intact and I had sealed it in a ziploc freezer bag, it looked fine, so I used it anyways. The soup was good and I put some in a container and froze it. We'll do a porch drop off at DS's tomorrow so he can share it with his kids.
I guess I should see what else is lurking in the back of the pantry!:eek:

~Diane

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask. We just threw out (Thursday) some hamburger meat and frozen rolls. The rolls resembled hardened biscuits, and we could not figure out when we might have used them. Friday, I decided to have waffles for breakfast. It had been a long time. I mixed up the batter, but had a hard time getting the chunks to disappear. Tasted terrible. No fluffiness. I couldn't put a finger on my problem until I looked at the top of the box. "Best if used by 4/17." My bad.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Some of the dry baked goods may have met their demise over time. We were looking for some yeast to bake with. The little envelopes were dated Best By 2015 or so. DW proofed one. Dead. No foam. Nothing. So fortunately a local breakfast restaurant re-branded themselves as a foodservice grocery and among their offerings were 1 lb packs of yeast for $8. We're set for years on yeast. The flour in the old mixes doesn't go bad- unless it get buggy- but the old yeast dies. I've been baking some good bread- flour has become available- and begun making some fairly advanced sourdoughs with good results. Problem is with easy access to great bread, that I start to be shaped like Pillsbury's 'Poppin' Fresh' or the Michelin Man.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not so much in the pantry, but definitely in the chest freezer. As I was sorting through it, I discovered we have not one, two, or even three bags of frozen corn. We have four bags. All identical, all with valid expiration dates, and only one has been opened. I admit, I like frozen corn, but somebody (no doubt, ME), has been buying it a shade too often. My only excuse is that while shopping at Costco and seeing it there, I tried to remember when I'd last seen it at home. I couldn't remember seeing it in the freezer, so logically, we were "out" of it. Not so much, apparently... :D

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not so much in the pantry, but definitely in the chest freezer. As I was sorting through it, I discovered we have not one, two, or even three bags of frozen corn. We have four bags. :D
Pantry/freezer, mox nix. Same deal. I was digging deep in the chest freezer recently. I found about 8 jars of apricot 'freezer jam'. Our neighbor brought over waaaay more fresh apricots last Spring than we needed and DW found some 'freezer jam pectin', and put it up. It was a little runny but edible. So we froze the excess. It's still in the bottom of the freezer. Might be time for a space-saving departure.

Jim

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A box of Ghirardelli brownie mix (not yet expired)
images

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While searching in my pantry for noodles or something to put in the soup, I found a bag of alphabet pasta that was left from when our kids were little. It was the only pasta/noodles our DS#2 wanted in home made soup. He is now 34 yrs old!! The bag was still intact and I had sealed it in a ziploc freezer bag, it looked fine, so I used it anyways.
That has got to be a record. I am famous for eating expired food, but I have never found anything that old!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
A box of Ghirardelli brownie mix (not yet expired)
images
That was the main thing I went to Costco fo last week! I bought 2 boxes. Our cul-de-sac often has pot lucks and they always ask me to bring brownies - because mine are so good! I was out after making a big batch and sharing at Easter. Ours are never on the shelf long enough to expire. :)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The only thing that I found with an expired date is canned salmon. I guess I could make some salmon patties and use those up. Hubs bought those sometime a couple of years ago. I do not think we have ever eaten canned salmon in 52 years!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That has got to be a record. I am famous for eating expired food, but I have never found anything that old!
Yes, I was shocked that a part bag was still there. It's probably only 25 or so years old -but still!! My pantry has deep shelves and unfortunately due to knee problems I normally cant kneel down to look in the back of the bottom shelf. I had pulled out some stuff in front of the bag and then saw the bag. That shelf has now been totally cleaned out and re-arranged thanks to DH's help.
After my Mom went into a nursing home I cleaned out her kitchen as my dad doesn't cook or bake. I found lots of old/expired stuff including a box of Kraft Dinner that had expired 10yrs prior and a leaking can of blueberry pie filling! I also found a bottle of coconut extract from the place my uncle (mom's brother) worked at during high school - he is now 75 yrs old! I don't know if the bottle was obtained when he worked there or later, but I emptied & rinsed out the bottle and mailed it to him, the Hayhoe's Food label was still in great shape. Most of the food items from Mom's kitchen went to the dump.

~Diane

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was shocked that a part bag was still there. It's probably only 25 or so years old -but still!! My pantry has deep shelves and unfortunately due to knee problems I normally cant kneel down to look in the back of the bottom shelf. I had pulled out some stuff in front of the bag and then saw the bag. That shelf has now been totally cleaned out and re-arranged thanks to DH's help.
After my Mom went into a nursing home I cleaned out her kitchen as my dad doesn't cook or bake. I found lots of old/expired stuff including a box of Kraft Dinner that had expired 10yrs prior and a leaking can of blueberry pie filling! I also found a bottle of coconut extract from the place my uncle (mom's brother) worked at during high school - he is now 75 yrs old! I don't know if the bottle was obtained when he worked there or later, but I emptied & rinsed out the bottle and mailed it to him, the Hayhoe's Food label was still in great shape. Most of the food items from Mom's kitchen went to the dump.
~Diane

We cleaned out my MIL's pantry in about 1997 and found a can of chicken gravy that, working backward from available clues, had survived at least five moves and forty years. We tossed it.

Meanwhile my MIL has been gone since 2014, and we're still drinking our inheritance of her many, many bottles of liquor. We recently needed whisky for a recipe and found a bottle that definitely came from our wedding, in October 1985. (And that wasn't the oldest bottle by any means.) That coconut extract was probably still fiiiiiiine, as my MIL would have said!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We cleaned out my MIL's pantry in about 1997 and found a can of chicken gravy that, working backward from available clues, had survived at least five moves and forty years. We tossed it.

Meanwhile my MIL has been gone since 2014, and we're still drinking our inheritance of her many, many bottles of liquor. We recently needed whisky for a recipe and found a bottle that definitely came from our wedding, in October 1985. (And that wasn't the oldest bottle by any means.) That coconut extract was probably still fiiiiiiine, as my MIL would have said!

Sounds like the overstocked liquor cabinet at our place. Wine storage, too. Somebody I'm married to ( :rolleyes: ) loves to buy alcohol, but we rarely drink it. The alleged reason is so we'll be ready "when people visit." Doesn't seem to happen much. So there it sits, "aging." :shrug:

Of course, it could be (and has been) worse. My previous spouse drank everything in sight, and was always complaining there was "nothing to drink around here." Good riddance. Lessons learned, for sure. :D

Dave

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the overstocked liquor cabinet at our place. Wine storage, too. Somebody I'm married to ( :rolleyes: ) loves to buy alcohol, but we rarely drink it. The alleged reason is so we'll be ready "when people visit." Doesn't seem to happen much. So there it sits, "aging." :shrug:

Of course, it could be (and has been) worse. My previous spouse drank everything in sight, and was always complaining there was "nothing to drink around here." Good riddance. Lessons learned, for sure. :D

Dave

I have a wine problem. Mostly a buying-wine problem rather than a drinking-wine problem, but as time progresses, I'm expanding my scope.

My DH recently dragged up from the basement a double-size bottle of red wine that I had stashed on the wine rack down there, waiting for a special occasion. We drank it over several nights, and a good thing too, bc it was just on the verge. It was a 2000 vintage.

My dirty little secret: there's ANOTHER double-size bottle in its original shipping box, stashed under the sideboard in the dining room. Not the same vintage, but probably not too much younger.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The one thing I have too much of is Crown Royal. Many people bought Crown Royal for me as a gift. These days I only drink occasionally, as in hardly ever.

What did I write ? Can a person really have too much Crown Royal in the cabinet ? ;) I kind of doubt it.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
These days I only drink occasionally, as in hardly ever.

Bill

That's pretty much me. I'm not a non-drinker, but as I sit here, I honestly can't recall the last time I had an alcoholic drink. It was likely part of a beer in a restaurant, and that would have been months ago. :shrug:

Dave

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The one thing I have too much of is Crown Royal. Many people bought Crown Royal for me as a gift. These days I only drink occasionally, as in hardly ever.

What did I write ? Can a person really have too much Crown Royal in the cabinet ? ;) I kind of doubt it.

Bill

I'll send you our address! We can help with your overstock! ;)

~Diane