• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are we CRAZY?

kitkatRN

Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased a timeshare without touring the property? We just purchased Sheraton Broadway Plantation on resale. Got it fairly cheap and I understand it is not a mandatory resort. We bought it to go there. We have friends that own there and are very very happy. I really wanted to buy at the new Marriott but am not willing to sacrifice the cash. Broadway Plantation looks beautiful and I don't mind not being on the beach. Are there any owners out there that can tell me more about the resort and its trading power through II when I can't use it?
Kat

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Congratulations! I think lots of Tuggers have bought sight unseen. (We bought 3 out of our 4 that way, in fact.) If you do your homework first, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you seen the TUG reviews for the property? - Sheraton Broadway Plantation

And it's Starwood Webpage?

Shamrock

TUG Member
Reaction score
I imagine a lot of people buy without seeing the property, you
don't have to use that particular property every year

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of the 11 timeshare we purchased we had see two prior to owning. Not crazy if you've done your homework.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at HGVC in Craigendarroch Scotland. Not only have we not seen the resort, we've never been to Scotland! Hope to rectify that in the next couple of years, though.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to my resort either and I have no intention of going there. At least not for my own week. I'll go off season and get a better deal on it.

Sue

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never seen and don't want to

We own 4 different timeshares, multiple weeks in 3 of them. We have never stayed in any of them and really have no desire to see them. We have been to Broadway Plantation and liked the unit and really liked the location near Broadway at the Beach. We use our units for exchanges and help to make RCI and II a little richer by paying our membership and exchange fees. Good luck with your purchase.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
No,

You are not crazy, you have friends who go there and you know of the place.

My first caribbean timeshare was an Ebay purchase in 2001, sight unseen, never even hesrd of it previously. But it tirned out to be a gem and one of the best things i've ever done.

Sometimes a great situation just demands action. Either way, you actions will not matter in 100 years. That is guaranteed...

John

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased Hilton Hawaiian Village without seeing it and I'm glad we did. By the time we made it to Hawaii 9 months later the price had increased by several thousand dollars. Even the current resale prices cost way more than the pre-development price we paid.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We are at Westin Kierland (WKV) right now - bought 1Bd Premium/Plat unseen about 3 months ago - perfect place to buy (resale) and to be right now - it is beautiful here.

We also bought WKORV and WSJ sight unseen - no issues - all have met our expecations.

taffy19

Reaction score
Congratulations to you if you bought this resort cheaply. :D I looked the resort up and it looks beautiful but your friends already told you so.

Buying for use is still the best way to own a timeshare condo because you don't have all the headaches of exchanging and additional fees that keep going up year after year. JMHO.

You can still exchange later after you get tired of the resort or move on to a newer and better resort again. ;)

geekette

Reaction score
Never toured where we bought. While there is some doubt as to whether I'm crazy or not, it doesn't hinge on this issue. Perform your due diligence and minimize your risks. We came out just fine and may or may not ever visit the resorts to which we are deeded.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased Kierland before seeing it when they had the initial SVO Direct Sales department. But we were going to the area a month later and asked that I have the right to rescind withing 6 weeks. They happily granted it.

At the time, the onsite sales office offered me 60,000 points on the phone. Direct Sales offered 120,000 and that sealed the deal.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are not crazy; you are a normal timesharer

Half of our timeshares were unseen. I would submit that at least 60 percent of our members have bought sight unseen. Oh by the way, I have seen what you purchased and you got a good one.

disneydor

Reaction score
We had bought Oceanwatch without seeing it but friends of ours live in Myrtle Beach so they told us how nice it was and before we sold VWL by DVC we bought without seeing(although you can't go wrong with Disney).

kitkatRN

Reaction score
:) Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess buying unseen happens a whole lot more than what I realized. I really feel like I did my homework and I read reviews until my eyes are crossed. I feel Broadway Plantation is a great place. I understand the voluntary resort thing. I also know that Starwood deposits what they want into II but with a little preserverance I MAY possibly be able to chose and deposit a week. Thanks Denise M-- I feel you know everything about Starwood there is to know making you the Queen and tops in my book!:)
Sincerely
Kat

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Has anyone ever purchased a timeshare without touring the property?

Yep. More than once. I've owned one for more than a year that I still haven't seen and am not entirely sure I ever will.

Sheila

midwest6

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Broadway a couple years ago and loved it. We also bought resale last year and we will use it alot. I do not know the trading power, if we ever want to trade I'm hoping to do so through an independent exchange co. hoping a prime summer week will work well.

danb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC purchase

We bought into the Tuscany village sight unseen three years ago and have yet to go there. Stayed at Seaworld last year with golf buddies and looked at the Tuscany, but thats it. But, we just had three grandsons arrive in the last few weeks so I'm sure we will be using them in the near future.

mepiccolo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought our 2nd timeshare in Kauai (SVC Kauai Beach Boy) sight unseen and will visit for the first time in May. We have friends who own there and love it and we've read many reviews, about 95% which are totally positive.

We probably are crazy though because we bought our house in Huntington Beach sight unseen. But brother who is a contractor saw it and gave the neighborhood and the house a thumb's up and we have been extremely happy here. Hoping the Beach Boy does not disappoint either :)