• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Timeshares REALLY Needed In Orlando?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think this person is asking if he/ she should buy a timeshare. Yep.

I think Orlando is best when visiting for more than a week, we like to go 2 weeks and sometimes go three. We do eat breakfasts in the unit. We sometimes pack lunches from the unit. We do plan days that we don't go to the park, specifically planned just to rest and use the pool and sit on the balcony for a bit.

We like having our family with us and thus the 2 bedrooms. We like sitting in the living room. We like having an occasional dinner in the unit and enjoy conversations with family. We like watching TV in the living room with a bowl of popcorn. It's nice to have the washer/dryer, so we don't have to pack a lot of clothing.

We like the homey feeling of a timeshare, especially Marriott branded timeshares.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I think this person is asking if he/ she should buy a timeshare. Yep.

I think Orlando is best when visiting for more than a week, we like to go 2 weeks and sometimes go three. We do eat breakfasts in the unit. We sometimes pack lunches from the unit. We do plan days that we don't go to the park, specifically planned just to rest and use the pool and sit on the balcony for a bit.

We like having our family with us and thus the 2 bedrooms. We like sitting in the living room. We like having an occasional dinner in the unit and enjoy conversations with family. We like watching TV in the living room with a bowl of popcorn. It's nice to have the washer/dryer, so we don't have to pack a lot of clothing.

We like the homey feeling of a timeshare, especially Marriott branded timeshares.
It sounds to the the OP is wondering what point do timeshares have in Orlando. Their experience is one where they were in the park daily open to close and used the TS to sleep as a hotel. I think they are asking based on their experience if TS are a waste in a place like Orlando. I don’t see them asking if they should purchase it. I may be wrong but that’s how I interpreted their question.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It sounds to the the OP is wondering what the point do timeshares have in Orlando. Their experience is one where they were in the park daily open to close and used the TS to sleep as a hotel. I think they are asking based on their experience if TS are a waste in a place like Orlando. I don’t see them asking if they should purchase it. I may be wrong but that’s how I interpreted their question.
Yeah, maybe, but why go to a timeshare forum and post that, and he/she is a newbie. So it's an assumption I made based on the behavior of bothering to post here.

Captpan6

Reaction score
Captpan6 welcome. lots of good info and advice here. definitely research A LOT before buying a TS. IMHO, I'd just rent on TUG, redweek, or other sites for travel to Orlando rather than buying.

Thank you for the welcome. I've already gone through the Timeshares 101 on the website just to see if I missed anything about how they work and indeed I knew the fundamentals, but there were helpful bits I didn't know about like the say that a timeshare owner has as a member of the "homeowners association" of sorts. I'm a little iffy on Redweek, as well SYTN, because many messages I read about those sites here imply they have high closing costs. I'm more willing to try TUG's marketplace - renting first of course - before I come to any decision on which vacation ownership network I should be a part of, if any.
It sounds to the the OP is wondering what the point do timeshares have in Orlando. Their experience is one where they were in the park daily open to close and used the TS to sleep as a hotel. I think they are asking based on their experience if TS are a waste in a place like Orlando. I don’t see them asking if they should purchase it. I may be wrong but that’s how I interpreted their question.
Hit the nail on the head. Currently I'd much rather rent or exchange into a TS in Orlando rather than own one due to the way my wife and I vacation.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hit the nail on the head. Currently I'd much rather rent or exchange into a TS in Orlando rather than own one due to the way my wife and I vacation.

I own in Orlando, I never use my TS in Orlando to stay in Orlando. I trade into other resorts in the network constantly. I only “exchange” into Orlando using award certificates or buy getaways on interval. If I’m going to Orlando for 2-3 nights, I’ll compare the price of a hotel (using my universal AP discount, Priceline or other 3rd party booking sites) to the AC or Getaways TS booking methods. If the hotel price for 2-3 nights is a similar price as a week interval in a TS (in Marriott, my preference) using an AC + exchange fee, I’m always going with the TS. Not just for the space and amenities of the TS, but usually booking the full week allows extra nights which can be useful for arriving early or leaving late. Hotel rooms for short stays have a purpose. Although, the thought of staying a week in a hotel room makes me cringe.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We are go go people when it comes to Disney. We have college age kids. They will join us on trips. I don't want to sleep in the same hotel room as my kids. They like to sleep in. We don't. I want a living room to drink my coffee and not in the same room as my kids. Feeding them is expensive so having breakfast and snacks in the room is good. We also like the washer/dryer and ability to watch movies with popcorn to unwind after the park. Makes for a more comfortable trip.

We own in Vegas but use our week to travel to Hawaii, NYC and other locations. When we go to Vegas, similar to @CPNY we will use extra vacations or Accommodation Certs or last minute rates in a TS or a short stay with TS points system. We never stay a week and would rather use the points elsewhere because we get more bang for our buck.

Captpan6

Reaction score
I own in Orlando, I never use my TS in Orlando to stay in Orlando. I trade into other resorts in the network constantly. I only “exchange” into Orlando using award certificates or buy getaways on interval. If I’m going to Orlando for 2-3 nights, I’ll compare the price of a hotel (using my universal AP discount, Priceline or other 3rd party booking sites) to the AC or Getaways TS booking methods. If the hotel price for 2-3 nights is a similar price as a week interval in a TS (in Marriott, my preference) using an AC + exchange fee, I’m always going with the TS. Not just for the space and amenities of the TS, but usually booking the full week allows extra nights which can be useful for arriving early or leaving late. Hotel rooms for short stays have a purpose. Although, the thought of staying a week in a hotel room makes me cringe.
How long have you had your Orlando TS for and how easy has it been to trade into other resorts and networks over time? Having a TS for the sole purpose of trading into other properties is something I'm studying up on.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a TS for the sole purpose of trading into other properties is something I'm studying up on.
I strongly discourage this model for someone new to timesharing. The exchange game (and it is a game) is subtle, complicated, and difficult to work effectively without a significant time investment. Worse, the "rules" of the game are always changing, so time must be regularly reinvested; there is friction in exchange (fees, etc.) so getting good performance is harder than it is when you just use what you own. Certain folks (like yours truly) find that fun and make it into something of a hobby, but those folks seem to be few and far between.

Hobby, n: An activity into which one can pour unlimited amounts of time and/or money.

In my opinion, folks new to timesharing would be much better served buying something they plan to use most years. That could be a fixed or floating week at a resort that you want to return to most years. Or, it could be a resale points membership in one of the larger "mini-systems": Wyndham, WorldMark, Bluegreen, HGVC, etc. Those systems have a network of resorts, with known (and more or less fixed) costs to use, and a much easier system for booking than the typical external exchange. You might still use exchange periodically, but consider it a nice extra, not the primary use case.

Captpan6

Reaction score
I strongly discourage this model for someone new to timesharing. The exchange game (and it is a game) is subtle, complicated, and difficult to work effectively without a significant time investment. Worse, the "rules" of the game are always changing, so time must be regularly reinvested; there is friction in exchange (fees, etc.) so getting good performance is harder than it is when you just use what you own. Certain folks (like yours truly) find that fun and make it into something of a hobby, but those folks seem to be few and far between.

Hobby, n: An activity into which one can pour unlimited amounts of time and/or money.

In my opinion, folks new to timesharing would be much better served buying something they plan to use most years. That could be a fixed or floating week at a resort that you want to return to most years. Or, it could be a resale points membership in one of the larger "mini-systems": Wyndham, WorldMark, Bluegreen, HGVC, etc. Those systems have a network of resorts, with known (and more or less fixed) costs to use, and a much easier system for booking than the typical external exchange. You might still use exchange periodically, but consider it a nice extra, not the primary use case.
The "walk before you run" advice is most appreciated. My wife can certainly attest to my patience when it comes to studying up on something (I spent a year and a half on researching before I bought our first new car and I've been more than happy with it) and although I had every intention of doing my due diligence when it came to research on this particular topic, I'll take your advice and shelve it for the time being.

The point system networks are actually something I've been weighing as my wife and I rarely enjoy vacationing in the same place in a close timespan, which is why I was curious about the exchanging systems and how to make the most of them.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
The exchange game (and it is a game) is subtle, complicated, and difficult to work effectively without a significant time investment. Worse, the "rules" of the game are always changing, so time must be regularly reinvested; there is friction in exchange (fees, etc.) so getting good performance is harder than it is when you just use what you own.
definitely this!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I bought for the sole purpose of exchanging. In the beginning I made some small mistakes like not locking off and depositing both units, but in the end it all worked out well. It doesn't take that long to learn the ropes of the exchange game. Sure it can be complicated, but as long as one is willing to put in the time investment, it works really well and I see no issue with buying to exchange. Especially if one is using StarOptions or Points. As long as someone doesn't want to travel only in peak seasons, they can do pretty well.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
How long have you had your Orlando TS for and how easy has it been to trade into other resorts and networks over time? Having a TS for the sole purpose of trading into other properties is something I'm studying up on.
I own SVV Sheraton vistana villages. It comes with star options (think points), at 8 months prior to check in I can book resorts in the vistana network anywhere from 1-21 nights with points. I can book as many trips as my points will allow. It’s been excellent. I’ve yet to use star options in orlando since it’s better to just use AC or getaways to book Orlando weeks. So owning in Orlando can be beneficial.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Lake Ozark. The fixed week deeded unit was gifted to us a couple decades ago. Maintenance fees have been less than $400/year. It’s a 3 bed 3 bath unit that trades in Interval International well I don’t need to pay an upgrade fee for larger units. We did get hit with a special assessment fee this year but this is first time since we’ve had it. We used to use the week regularly until kids got too big to pull out of school - our week is first week of May. We’ve traded into Cayman Islands, nearly every Marriott vacation club in Orlando, Las Vegas, and France so far. We’ve used our unit almost exclusively for trading and it works well for us, in fact I just got my Thanksgiving week in Orlando at my favorite MVC Cypress Harbour.
We’ve tossed around idea of picking up a Las Vegas TS as we like Vegas but also want something that will be a good trader too.
Timeshares aren’t for everyone but for those who understand them it can be fun!

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live about an hour and a half away from Orlando. We’ve never really been amusement parks people, except when our son was young…So Orlando would not have been a major destiination for us in the past 10 years. However Covid has change things for us.

With our community activities being mostly shut down, and huge restrictions on pool usage, we enjoyed going to Orlando for a week each of the last 2 months, and hanging all day at the quiet pools, at the quiet resort, because the resorts are relatively empty. It’s a change for us from our usual beach vacations.

We have not been going out to dinner as much as we normally do, I’ve been bringing food and preparing it in the timeshare. We are really enjoying this time. I joked to my husband that “Orlando is our home away from home now”.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Owning points is a great option, as you can trade to a variety of locations and not have to go back to the same old, same old every year.

I own points at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, but that does not mean I have to stay there.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am on site at WDW for a few days, I am ok with just a hotel as we will be in the parks all day and really only use the room to sleep and shower. Anything more than a few days and I want my creature comforts of a timeshare. Also......we have been to Orlando twice in which someone got sick (stomach bug, fever, etc). Trust me.....you are VERY thankful to have a timeshare to be in when that happens vs just a hotel room.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, please take your time and do your research and please learned this word "No"

Do not buy from a developer, do your math research on cost, travel and yearly maint fees. IMHO.

Take your time.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If I am on site at WDW for a few days, I am ok with just a hotel as we will be in the parks all day and really only use the room to sleep and shower. Anything more than a few days and I want my creature comforts of a timeshare. Also......we have been to Orlando twice in which someone got sick (stomach bug, fever, etc). Trust me.....you are VERY thankful to have a timeshare to be in when that happens vs just a hotel room.
That’s exactly what happened to my brother in December. He went back to the TS, made soup, had plenty of fluids and when we got back we made sure he had everything he needed.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
When I went to Orlando with my wife many years back, it was for the singular purpose of visiting the theme parks like Disney. We never spent more than an hour or two in our room except for sleeping and Facetiming family. Every day we were at a theme park, and Orlando has A LOT. Even if you're not experiencing the ever-growing Disney World collection, Sea World and Universal provide some variety.

This made me think: how necessary is it to have all the amenities like a kitchen, balcony, or other things a timeshare provides if no one is home to use them? After all, Orlando isn't exactly along a shore where you can walk from the beach to the room to get something and then come back, so those amenities likely don't see a lot of use. And even if you were to forego the expenses of theme park food, I can't imagine taking the time to cook meals to take with you will save money given you'd have to stock up on a lot of ingredients.

I'm curious what value that Orlando timeshare holders receive that staying in something far simpler like, dare I say it, a hotel room wouldn't do worse at. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying the appeal of the city but all the better for me to learn where.

Your viewpoint of a room in Orlando being used only to sleep and shower is because that is really all you can do in a hotel room. But I have the opposite viewpoint. I question why people stay at a hotel in Orlando, when there are so many timeshares available? I question why they need to go to theme parks from sun-up to sundown everyday, when there are things to enjoy on the resort grounds of a timeshare. I question why people go to laundry rooms on vacation or carry so much clothing when they can have a private washer and dryer in a timeshare unit. I question why do you have to eat all meals out at restaurants when you can have it delivered to your unit and eat at a full dining room table in your unit, or out on your balcony. Either way, it sure is much more relaxing and enjoyable than a loud crowded restaurant. I question why do people pay $2-$5 for a bottle of water when they can get a case of water for about $5 and keep it cold/frozen in a full-size refrigerator. I question how people stay in a room with 2 beds and 1 bath for more than 2-3 days and consider it a vacation. I could go on and on. Just about all you question about why people choose to stay at a timeshare, I question about why people choose to stay at standard hotels.

Have you ever considered that the reason you only use your room just to sleep and shower is because there is nothing else to use the room for? Maybe the reason you stay in theme parks for so long is because there isn't much to do back in your room anyway. So there is no desire to rush to get back to it. Even when my kids were younger, they didn't want to stay in the theme parks all day. They couldn't wait to get back on the grounds of the resort. They would rather make a quick sandwich and go participate in resort activities than to go out to dinner. Especially my daughter. In fact her fascination is still going strong. She prints out the activity schedule of the resort we will be staying at so that we can incorporate time for her to do stuff at the resort. Dance parties are her biggest thing. My husband likes time to participate in pool volleyball. Dive In movies has become my new favorite poolside activity. The point is, if we stayed in a hotel, we would want to stay out at theme parks all day too. There is nothing to do when you go back to a hotel room. One of our favorite resorts has 13 pools on the property AND a small waterpark!! Everyday there is something going on at one of the pools whether its a BBQ, pool party, or both. A timeshare resort is part of the vacation, not just a place to sleep and shower. I look forward to sitting out on the balcony in the early morning hours with a cup of coffee. It's so relaxing and enjoyable and you know you are TRULY on vacation. You don't have to look forward to getting away from your room. You look forward to enjoying time in it as part of the vacation.

Anyway, you will want to do more at the resort than sleep and shower when you see all the options offered. You have the conveniences of home, but you have the feel of a tropical vacation resort. The resort is part of the vacation!! Completely different vacation experience than a standard hotel stay. Even the cost may surprise you. If you compare what you are paying for a hotel(sleep and shower) and the cost of a timeshare, you'll be surprised at how there isn't that much difference. But of course that can depend on how you book it. I highly recommend renting from an owner. Come back and let us know if you ever get a chance to try it for yourself. Good luck.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your viewpoint of a room in Orlando being used only to sleep and shower is because that is really all you can do in a hotel room. But I have the opposite viewpoint. I question why people stay at a hotel in Orlando, when there are so many timeshares available?

I get what you're saying and I agree with it. However, there are a few people with the opposite point of view that I understand. In most cases in the Orlando area, hotel rooms are cheaper on a per-night basis. For some people, all they need on this vacation is a place to lay their heads at night and use the bathroom and shower. Many people do not want to cook and clean on their vacation. Most hotels provide a hot breakfast. They also provide daily maid service.

With all that in mind, I understand why some prefer hotels, although I am not one of them. But hey, different strokes for different folks and to each his own.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the question "Are Timeshares Really Needed in Orlando" is the right question. The question should be "Is it Worth the Money to Own a TS in Orlando"... My point is you can avoid the Front End Cost and Annual Maintenance Fees by renting...

George

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I don't think the question "Are Timeshares Really Needed in Orlando" is the right question. The question should be "Is it Worth the Money to Own a TS in Orlando"... My point is you can avoid the Front End Cost and Annual Maintenance Fees by renting...

George
Valid point if ones main purpose is to go to Orlando. There was a tugger here who purchased a massanutten unit to trade into Orlando. Maint fees will be half of what they would pay owning in Orlando and it has high trade power to book two Separate units in Orlando. If the goal is to go to Orlando annually then I’d agree, owning in Orlando may not be the best option. Owning elsewhere and exchanging, AC’s or renting is a better option.

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
My husband and I took our three kids to Disney World for the first time in 1991. We stayed at the Holiday Inn, Kissimmee, and were thrilled that they had a refrigerator and microwave in the room. We spent so much money on eating out, couldn't believe the prices for food at DW (back then, they did not allow you to bring your food in) and were so frustrated with the cramped space in our room.. no place to spread out. The next year, we were invited for a "free weekend" at Massanutten through a friend. Went on the tour and haggled all day on price.. since then, we have been so happy with our decision. We returned to Disney a few times after that, and what a change. Being able to bring the kids back to the resort for lunch, as it was too hot mid-day to stay at Disney, and let them cool off in the pool for a swim. Yes.. in our opinion, timeshares are the only way to go, unless you have the luxury of staying on Disney property and having a meal plan. We have never had a problem trading our weeks with RCI to a Gold Crown resort in Orlando, as long as we planned in advance. We've learned a lot over the years, bought an additional couple of units (two upper/lower weeks) at Massanutten (eBay, Redweek) and have been very happy.with the low MF. (thats a subject for another thread). Anyway, to each his own, but for us, it's the only way to go.

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Exactly!!! Like I always say...vacation with the kids by day. At night putting them to bed in their own room lets the adults vacation at night. A cramped room with a couple of beds and 1 bathroom is not my idea of vacation. Needless to say the advantages of having a full kitchen to make adult snacks and drinks is beneficial. A balcony to enjoy them on. Get maintenance/housekeeping clean/disinfect the jets like my hubby does and the private Jacuzzi can become part of the vacation too. Those are not standard amenities included in standard hotel rooms.
YES.. DISINFECT that Jacuzzi! I always run bleach through the jets a couple of times. I'm amazed at the stuff that comes out.!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
My husband and I took our three kids to Disney World for the first time in 1991. We stayed at the Holiday Inn, Kissimmee, and were thrilled that they had a refrigerator and microwave in the room. We spent so much money on eating out, couldn't believe the prices for food at DW (back then, they did not allow you to bring your food in) and were so frustrated with the cramped space in our room.. no place to spread out. The next year, we were invited for a "free weekend" at Massanutten through a friend. Went on the tour and haggled all day on price.. since then, we have been so happy with our decision. We returned to Disney a few times after that, and what a change. Being able to bring the kids back to the resort for lunch, as it was too hot mid-day to stay at Disney, and let them cool off in the pool for a swim. Yes.. in our opinion, timeshares are the only way to go, unless you have the luxury of staying on Disney property and having a meal plan. We have never had a problem trading our weeks with RCI to a Gold Crown resort in Orlando, as long as we planned in advance. We've learned a lot over the years, bought an additional couple of units (two upper/lower weeks) at Massanutten (eBay, Redweek) and have been very happy.with the low MF. (thats a subject for another thread). Anyway, to each his own, but for us, it's the only way to go.
Not to hijack the threat about massanutten, but I’m a new regal vista owner and was wondering about the maint fee increases at the resorts.