• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Timeshares REALLY Needed In Orlando?

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you want from a vacation? Trite, but very meaningful. Theme parks are a form of a resort. But virtually all high-end timeshares are resorts of some form or other themselves. Fancy pools, natural entertainment of one sort or another - beaches, ski slopes, city nightlife, gambling, lakes, ect.

In addition, they are designed for longer term occupancy. That allows one to "take their time", rather than vacation in one big frenzy. For some people, this itself is a big plus. For others, it is a waste.

That is one thing about timeshares - they aren't for everyone. Every person needs to determine what they want out of a vacation, before they make an major decision.

feliciatd

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I went to Orlando with my wife many years back, it was for the singular purpose of visiting the theme parks like Disney. We never spent more than an hour or two in our room except for sleeping and Facetiming family. Every day we were at a theme park, and Orlando has A LOT. Even if you're not experiencing the ever-growing Disney World collection, Sea World and Universal provide some variety.

This made me think: how necessary is it to have all the amenities like a kitchen, balcony, or other things a timeshare provides if no one is home to use them? After all, Orlando isn't exactly along a shore where you can walk from the beach to the room to get something and then come back, so those amenities likely don't see a lot of use. And even if you were to forego the expenses of theme park food, I can't imagine taking the time to cook meals to take with you will save money given you'd have to stock up on a lot of ingredients.

I'm curious what value that Orlando timeshare holders receive that staying in something far simpler like, dare I say it, a hotel room wouldn't do worse at. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying the appeal of the city but all the better for me to learn where.
Unless you stay in a very cheap hotel (which probably wouldn't make for a very nice vacation), timeshares generally don't cost much more, if anything. Why wouldn't you want the extra space, privacy, onsite amenities, laundry faciities, etc.?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
OP: I mentioned earlier in the thread that I thought you were considering buying a timeshare. I think that is correct after reading more posts.

There are some great resorts out there and trades into Orlando are very easy to get. I would only buy in a system that trades with II, but I would do a lot of research first. Make a decision that is right for you. TUG members have always said, "Buy where you want to go." I get that advice.

For example, we bought a unit on Maui, 2 bed, 2 bath, very ordinary resort, nothing fancy, but we love it more than any other place we stay. Our unit is oceanfront and has a big lanai that faces west (It's in West Maui), and we own 3 weeks. We pay a lot for that ($1,950/week). We bought that one to always use ourselves. Our friends are using one of our weeks in 2021.

We are retired and travel at least 12 weeks a year, this next year, we will be traveling at least 18 weeks because I have so many weeks to use.

In February we go to Maui for 5 weeks and 5 days straight. It's winter and not much yardwork to do, so we might as well go to Maui for a while. We traded into Maui for all but our two owned weeks. That is one example of how great timeshares work. How much would a hotel on Maui be? Consider the ones that I traded into, which are Sands of Kahana, Westin and Ka'anapali Beach Club. I paid about $1,400 total for each of my 2 bedroom trades into these 2 bedrooms. I won't get oceanfront at any of those resorts, but there is a good chance of a bit of an ocean view at a few of them. And the luxury of the Westin for those two weeks. Unbeatable! Who cares about view, when we already get the view at Hono Koa, where we own.

Last edited:

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Not to hijack the threat about massanutten, but I’m a new regal vista owner and was wondering about the maint fee increases at the resorts.
I will respond on a new thread entitiled Massanutten MF---disregard.. see below

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Not to hijack the threat about massanutten, but I’m a new regal vista owner and was wondering about the maint fee increases at the resorts.
We are Summit float week owners and pay approximately $900 a year ($2700 for three) for each of our three, 4 bedroom summit units. Each unit is a two bedroom lockoff so even though we own three, four bedroom units (upper and lower units) with can spacebank them separately with RCI. I normally book week 51 or 52 at Massanutten which gives us an RCI trading power of 23 credits for each two bedroom unit. We rarely stay at Massanutten but can normally get just about anywhere we want when we combine our points with RCI.

As for price increases, we have owned at Massanutten almost 30 years and typically, the annual MF increase varies from 3-5% a year. Since we only pay $900 for a four bedroom (12 sleeper) upper/lower lockout unit, the MF is one of the lowest you will find in the timeshare industry.

Finally, we have exchanged into many HGVC resorts by trading through RCI. As a result, we are in the process of buying a HGVC property through Redweek.com.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We are Summit float week owners and pay approximately $900 a year ($2700 for three) for each of our three, 4 bedroom summit units. Each unit is a two bedroom lockoff so even though we own three, four bedroom units (upper and lower units) with can spacebank them separately with RCI. I normally book week 51 or 52 at Massanutten which gives us an RCI trading power of 23 credits for each two bedroom unit. We rarely stay at Massanutten but can normally get just about anywhere we want when we combine our points with RCI.

As for price increases, we have owned at Massanutten almost 30 years and typically, the annual MF increase varies from 3-5% a year. Since we only pay $900 for a four bedroom (12 sleeper) upper/lower lockout unit, the MF is one of the lowest you will find in the timeshare industry.

Finally, we have exchanged into many HGVC resorts by trading through RCI. As a result, we are in the process of buying a HGVC property through Redweek.com.
I Have a regal vista 4bd LO EOY 89K points annually. I picked it up for the trade into DVC or other diamond in the rough resorts I can get out of points. Maint fee is around 1000 and I know RV is newer so was wondering of the chances of that phase skyrocketing. In line with this thread, I purchased it to trade into Orlando lol

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I Have a regal vista 4bd LO EOY 89K points annually. I picked it up for the trade into DVC or other diamond in the rough resorts I can get out of points. Maint fee is around 1000 and I know RV is newer so was wondering of the chances of that phase skyrocketing. In line with this thread, I purchased it to trade into Orlando lol
So it's $1,000 EOY? Great deal for MF's per point, but I think we already talked about that via PM.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So it's $1,000 EOY? Great deal for MF's per point, but I think we already talked about that via PM.
Yes I get 89k points with 500MF each year. I Understand regal vista 2 bedroom annual deeds were set up as 4bedroom EOY. Essentially it’s a 2 bedroom annual unit.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Valid point if ones main purpose is to go to Orlando. There was a tugger here who purchased a massanutten unit to trade into Orlando. Maint fees will be half of what they would pay owning in Orlando and it has high trade power to book two Separate units in Orlando. If the goal is to go to Orlando annually then I’d agree, owning in Orlando may not be the best option. Owning elsewhere and exchanging, AC’s or renting is a better option.
;)

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I will respond on a new thread entitiled Massanutten MF---disregard.. see below
I would like to join in on that thread when you start it. I will watch for it!!! :)

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
...especially when a lot of rentals can be had for less than the MFs. One can also avoid the back end costs of trying to get rid of it when one no longer needs it.
Good point. I've been renting Orlando resorts for the last 16 years and have always been able to rent for less than the cost of the MF. That includes the Disney resorts. The price that's listed is the "asking" price. I just make an offer that's 20% below the MF, and it's always accepted. My guess is that my offer is the only one that they received and they're just trying to get rid of a week that they have no use for.

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Orange Lake is a favorite resort of my family. One year we rented an owners River Island unit/week. Let me tell you, I wanted to buy in to Orange Lake after that stay!! But the Mfees are too high for my preference and the resorts are easy to trade into or rent for far less than their Mfees. We have stayed in West Village and for the past 2 years we were intending to try North Village. Hopefully next year we will be able to resume our family Orlando vacations.
I would like to join in on that thread when you start it. I will watch for it!!! :)
I started thread "MF's at Massanutten"