• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are there any benefits of a free unit at Tahiti Village?

sharonwort

Reaction score
I am in the process of "buying" a timeshare at Tahiti Village in LV at no charge. It does not have an exchange service attached. I am mainly interested in acquiring this unit for the future exchange prospects. Although it is free I am still trying to decide if this is a good deal. I probably will not use the unit very much if at all. If anyone has any knowledge of the process and benefits of this situation, I would really appreciate any experience or insight. I am just getting started in my research into the process and thought I would come here and ask those who have done this before now. Thank you for your feedback.

fatlard

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI 89K Regal Vista

Previous: Travel Advantage Network (TAN)
I am in the process of "buying" a timeshare at Tahiti Village in LV at no charge. It does not have an exchange service attached. I am mainly interested in acquiring this unit for the future exchange prospects. Although it is free I am still trying to decide if this is a good deal. I probably will not use the unit very much if at all. If anyone has any knowledge of the process and benefits of this situation, I would really appreciate any experience or insight. I am just getting started in my research into the process and thought I would come here and ask those who have done this before now. Thank you for your feedback.

Sounds like you know the answer to this question... Exchanging from what I am researching can be a complicated process with fees attached. Plus if Tahiti Village is not red/peak then it might be hard to exchange. The question is if you cannot exchange and if you cannot use.. what would you do with this?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Las Vegas is overbuilt, (more than 50 timeshares in the region) and that hurts trading power. I would not accept this timeshare even if completely free. If for some reason you want a Las Vegas timeshare, there are better traders.

sharonwort

Reaction score
Sounds like you know the answer to this question... Exchanging from what I am researching can be a complicated process with fees attached. Plus if Tahiti Village is not red/peak then it might be hard to exchange. The question is if you cannot exchange and if you cannot use.. what would you do with this?
I think what I have to do if I want to exchange is by an exchange membership which Has a cost and go from there. However, I don’t know anything about this. If anyone out there does please let me know.

sharonwort

Reaction score
Las Vegas is overbuilt, (more than 50 timeshares in the region) and that hurts trading power. I would not accept this timeshare even if completely free. If for some reason you want a Las Vegas timeshare, there are better traders.
Thank you for your reply. What do you mean there are better traders? Yes this unit is completely free. Which there has to be a reason why I’m just trying to figure that out.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are those 10 TS rules posted? That may help you, i just saw them in a repost recently...
Based on my experience I would not take ownership of a TS unless it was a place and time i would be willing to go every time its use was available. You may be able to get to a place you would like to visit but maybe its the wrong season...or the flip of that, you start looking for a place for a certain set of weeks, but you cant get close to where you want to go. Then again, you may hit the jackpot. To get what you want where you want it, you need to plan long in advance. I have had a difficult time trading into locations in florida or arizona during a high demand season despite requests placed over a year in advance and have had to roll those requests into the following year when it gets "obvious" nothing is going to work out and have had to go the vrbo route to get what what we want when we want.
Better traders? TS locations that have high demand at a TS that is highly rated trade better than places that no one wants to go, and in some locations that demand is seasonal. In some it is watered down because there are too many units available.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thank you for your reply. What do you mean there are better traders? Yes this unit is completely free. Which there has to be a reason why I’m just trying to figure that out.
The reason it is free is because it's not a good trading unit, the current owner knows that and wants to dump it.

Take a look for a LV Grandview unit with RCI points, they make good traders with RCI and the annual fees are reasonable.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I've stayed at Tahiti village a couple of times and thought that it was okay. Otherwise I'll stay at Marriott's Grand Chateau which I prefer.

Tahiti Village can trade with either Interval or RCI. They have two restaurants (a Denny's in front and one of their own inside) plus a lazy river and sand entry pool. They also have a bar and a pool side bar. It is on the lower end of the "strip" but they have (or had) hourly shuttles and there is also a bus stop in front. So, it is a nice-enough place. And my perception is that the Maintenance Fees (MF) are fairly low (check out listings on ebay or Redweek). And I think that most or all ownerships are probably weeks 1-49 or 1-50.

When I look on ebay, I see these units sometimes going for a dollar and often with all closing costs paid for by the seller. If you sign up with RCI, you'll be assigned TPU's (kind of like points) for exchange purposes. Maybe someone with more knowledge can provide info on the number of TPU's you'd be assigned and compare it to the Grandview. If you sign up with Interval you can exchange your week for someone else's week.

Exchanging? Although there is a learning curve, it isn't all that hard IMHO. I have about 80 successful exchanges under my belt. If you read various TUG posts you'll understand the "best practices". (reserve the highest demand unit you can, be prepared to exchange into a lower demand season, put it a request a year or more in advance, be flexible, be realistic, manually check frequently on RCI or II, etc.). If you are acquiring a 1 BR, the one with the full kitchen should trade better than the smaller one with a limited kitchen. A 2 BR has (according to a couple of listings on ebay) a MF of around $1100 a year and will trade better than the one BR units.

One downside of Tahiti Village is that when you eventually want to dispose of it, you'd probably have to pay all of the closing costs and essentially give it away for free.

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos
Yes, that is what I did. Even offered a $250 Visa card, although I got an eBay bid that was the exact amount. TV offers a very affordable vacation in Vegas, but I hated taking the bus back and forth. That was a drag.