• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

are the occupancy limits strictly enforced?

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will I get booted out for having 5 in a 1br+ unit at The Grand
Waikikian? 2 adults and 3 kiddies?

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Follow the rules. Get a room large enough to accommodate your group.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
AFAIK, they do not have people counters stationed in the hallways and
won't go out of their way to check. But someone could notice + complain.

You could try it, but keep a list of alternate accomodations handy, just in case.

conarth

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen this enforced before. Read the rules in the members guide and follow them.

"Failure to abide by occupancy restrictions may result in additional charges or denial of access"

bradleym2

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 in a studio

My wife and I stayed in a studio at MarBrisa with our 1 1/2 year old and they provided a crib, even though the studio has a max 2 occupancy.

I would ask the resort. The may not mind if you have younger children.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yeah, wrap your youngest in swaddling clothes and craddle him in your arms.
Just don't let him or her show their teeth.

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow the rules. Get a room large enough to accommodate your group.

I would love to get a room large enough for my party of 9 but all I could manage so far is 2 1br+ units. I would have booked 2 2br if I could. This is my first time using hgvc points and what I didn't know is that GW and the Lagoon Tower would get dramatically busier after July 15th. Thanks!

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen this enforced before. Read the rules in the members guide and follow them.

"Failure to abide by occupancy restrictions may result in additional charges or denial of access"

Yes, thanks, I'm familiar with the wording but when I first stayed at a hgvc resort with a marketing package they booked my family of 7 into a 2br. Then when I called the GW months ago I was told the 3br PH could accomodate 9. The rules don't seem as black and white as the guide suggests. To further blur the issue some 1br units have 2 double beds in br and a double sleep sofa which suggests accomodations for 6 to me. So I guess I'm surveying to assess risk. Thanks for the input.

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, wrap your youngest in swaddling clothes and craddle him in your arms.
Just don't let him or her show their teeth.

I'll need an awfully big blankie to swaddle a 42 lb "baby". But I might need to try.;)

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I stayed in a studio at MarBrisa with our 1 1/2 year old and they provided a crib, even though the studio has a max 2 occupancy.

I would ask the resort. The may not mind if you have younger children.

Thank you, the resort front desk rep said today that they could only register 4 guests for that room but didn't come right out and say we couldn't have a 5th. I'll keep trying to get a bigger unit though. I'm really not much of a rule-breaker.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
My advice would be to not book a room or set of rooms in the first place if they don't accommodate your guests.

The homeowners association uses occupancy to determine the capacity when amenities are built or improved. When we go to the pool or whatever other amenities the resort offers we want to know that the hotel isn't over occupancy, straining those amenities, forcing the rule-abiding guests to endure an inferior experience because others find the rules "silly" or a formality to be ignored.

We joined a club that has rules to protect the guest experience. Seeking ways around them to the detriment of other owners should not be our objective.

Bourne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll need an awfully big blankie to swaddle a 42 lb "baby". But I might need to try.;)

If you request for a first floor unit, I think you'll be fine...weight displacement thing...worse on higher floors...:D

Jokes aside, I don't think anyone is even going to question. Check in without family in tow within 10 feet to be dead sure just because some desk clerk is having a bad day. It's not like you are stuffing 5-6 adults in a 1 br...they are kids.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Of those doing the finger-wagging, how many never returned a book late to the public library?
--------------------------------------
Capacity of Facilities: I'd hazard to guess that for every unit that's 1 - 2 guests over the limit there are at least twice, if not three times as many, under limits, 'cuz after all, who wants their guests to sleep on the couch or haul their rug-rats everywhere they go?
---------------------------------------
Just hide the kiddies out of sight when checking in, and don't make a nuisance of yourselves when out and about.

Last edited:

Aquaman55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheera, I think a few of our Tug friends ought to loosen up when it comes to interpreting the rules. 2 adults and 3 children at 5 is not the same as 5 strapping fraternity brothers poised to bring down the place. If the kids are young, it should not be an issue.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of those doing the finger-wagging, how many never returned a book late to the public library?
Rules are rules!
Capacity of Facilities: I'd hazard to guess that for every unit that's 1 - 2 guests over the limit there are at least twice, if not three times as many, under limits, 'cuz after all, who wants their guests to sleep on the couch or haul their rug-rats everywhere they go?
Just hide the kiddies out of sight when checking in, and don't make a nuisance of yourselves when out and about.

Then why have the occupancy limits at all? We can vote as a homeowners association to rid ourselves of them and pack as many into a room as we see fit (or as fire laws allow). Until that happens, let's agree to follow the rules.

I'd gladly sign on to a review at my resorts if we're starting a movement here. If we want to have different rules, there's a process for that which does not include violating the rules we agreed upon.

I've also returned a book late and paid the fine. I don't recall attempting to sneak the book back in while forging the return slip to avoid being caught.

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to not book a room or set of rooms in the first place if they don't accommodate your guests.

The homeowners association uses occupancy to determine the capacity when amenities are built or improved. When we go to the pool or whatever other amenities the resort offers we want to know that the hotel isn't over occupancy, straining those amenities, forcing the rule-abiding guests to endure an inferior experience because others find the rules "silly" or a formality to be ignored.

We joined a club that has rules to protect the guest experience. Seeking ways around them to the detriment of other owners should not be our objective.

thank you. please see post #7,8,9,10. My train of thought about "silly" rules is there. scolding noted.

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheera, I think a few of our Tug friends ought to loosen up when it comes to interpreting the rules. 2 adults and 3 children at 5 is not the same as 5 strapping fraternity brothers poised to bring down the place. If the kids are young, it should not be an issue.

Thank you for your insight; I'm new..ish. I didnt intend to ruffle feathers but....why give me enough beds for 6 and say I can only sleep 4? Hilton started it, not me:wave:

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you!
i appreciate that you can give me the benefit of the doubt. Really, I'll have 5 kids between the 2rooms; of course I'll be spending a boatload there (teenage boys can eat like 7 meals a day), and my 3yo really will sleep with us no matter how many beds we have . So no, I dont feel like I'm cheating the resort out of anything.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's necessarily true. To the best of my knowledge it's local fire marshals or departments that typically set occupancy rates. Hilton, Marriott or any other hotel has their occupancy rates determined by local governments.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I really would call the resort and ask how they suggest you handle the situation. It's really better to be safe than sorry, since a real tight "arse" management trainee could ruin your holiday by not allowing 5 in the room...just my two cents. :)

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as your family isn't loud and rowdy I don't think you'll have any problem. Be sure to leave the maids a nice tip at mid-week and end.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If confronted on this issue, answer the question with a question:
"Do you know how fast you were going?".... Just say "Huh?"
or "Do you exercize regularly?"... "Does pushing back on my recliner count?"

----------------------
But I think the better answer would be:
Leave these little terrors at home with gramps or a sitter.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jokes aside, I don't think anyone is even going to question. Check in without family in tow within 10 feet to be dead sure just because some desk clerk is having a bad day. It's not like you are stuffing 5-6 adults in a 1 br...they are kids.

Agree. Just keep a low profile.

George

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sheera

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yaaay, I got the 2br+

But I think the better answer would be:
Leave these little terrors at home with gramps or a sitter.[/QUOTE]

Leavin' em home sounded good except gramps is going with us. But handy to have gramps' help while there :p

I managed to grab a 2br+ last night so now I dont have to worry about being kicked out either:)

Thanks for everyones suggestions!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If is not an annoyance to those rooms around you, I would just take the ask for forgiveness and not for permission. Certainly better not to draw too much attention to yourself. If you are 1 over the limit, and the extra is a child.

However I have friends who had 13 in a room for 4 at a hotel, NOT a timeshare. 4 Adults and 9 kids. Kids just slept on floor in sleeping bags. It was only for the weekend.

So people do it all the time, 13 is just wrong however.

I just rolled my eyes and hoped that they would NEVER ever be in a room next to me.