• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are the buyers becoming too cheeky with the low ball offers?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a listing I should have probably deleted, for a number of reasons not too sure we actually want to sell even if somebody offered us full price. In the last couple of weeks I received several very low offers. Any similar experience?

I am curious what will happen in the timeshare market. The exit companies continue the radio ads so they are still trying to get business. However, the number of ebay listings is down by 40-50% from the peak so they are probably losing business as well. As we know, their listings have been one of the reasons the timeshares were losing value, I do not think they care much about the selling price.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
a low ball offer is fine, IMHO. You can not reply or say no. In these economic times, esp. if no other offers, some owners might take it. Doesn't hurt to try. Lot's might now just want to get rid of a TS.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hard for me to imagine that there are really any offers at all in the current mood. I can't be the only one to notice a total absence of 'How do I rescind' posts.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hard for me to imagine that there are really any offers at all in the current mood. I can't be the only one to notice a total absence of 'How do I rescind' posts.
That is because all developer sales are shut down, pretty much worldwide. Resales can still happen because listings are still up.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You answered your question in the first sentence, clearly you are not a motivated seller. Did you indicate “firm offers only, no lowball offers will be considered”?

Travel for this year is in the tank, I wouldn’t expect sales to pick up until fourth quarter this year when people are back to work and have spendable income.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
¿How is it cheeky? They made an offer. Accept, counter, ignore.
What if somebody offers you 30% of what you think your house is worth?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you indicate “firm offers only, no lowball offers will be considered”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
No, I did not. I am not bashing those that may make those offers, like everyone I have done in the past myself. I am just saying it seems that there are a lot of such offers lately. Market will settle this.

A lot of people may want to sell now but the truth is that most of us see it as a long term commitment. The fact that I cannot travel in the next say 3 months does not mean I will not enjoy my timeshare for the next 10 years.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

I get your point, but of course timeshares are not like houses. They're not even like used cars.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

were the market price of houses in your neighborhood in that 30% range? we've had people think their houses were "worth" $200K more than the market in the neighborhod--they took them off the market or sold for $200K less eventually.
Have you seen actual recent sales pricing of your TS, such as closed ebay sales, etc. and not just asking prices? for ex, I have a 4th of July week at the beach. TS that was sold by developer for $30K that I bought resale for $8K, which was a great price at the time. Now the market value is under $3K. It would be reasonable for me to think that it's still worth $8K, but the market says otherwise.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
We have never meant to be cheeky, but We have always offered significantly less than the asking price on Redweek or the “Buy It Now” eBay listings. We have always looked for an extremely motivated seller. Time has always been on our side.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you seen actual recent sales pricing of your TS, such as closed ebay sales, etc. and not just asking prices? for ex, I have a 4th of July week at the beach. TS that was sold by developer for $30K that I bought resale for $8K, which was a great price at the time. Now the market value is under $3K. It would be reasonable for me to think that it's still worth $8K, but the market says otherwise.

I was not comparing to the developer price or to the resale price. Considering your example it is like someone is offering to pay just the transfer cost for a timeshare you think may be worth 3k plus transfer costs

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have sold 6 timeshares since beginning of Covid. All for good prices. No low ball offers.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have sold 6 timeshares since beginning of Covid. All for good prices. No low ball offers.
You just answered my question. I was going to post do you think if I post the timeshares I want to give away, will I have takers?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
You just answered my question. I was going to post do you think if I post the timeshares I want to give away, will I have takers?

Yes, you will have takers especially if you are giving them away. I am really surprised that I have been able to sell timeshares now. I have sold about $40,000 worth of timeshares since Covid. I still have a bunch left to sell but I am happy with the progress so far.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I just bought one off Ebay for $125. The takers will be there, and you always offer great weeks.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who said the one I have listed is a giveaway?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Who said the one I have listed is a giveaway?
No one, I was replying to @TravelTime. I was curious if many were out there still looking, real takers.

Vulture Lookers are always out there for freebies and timeshares that cost money. For freebies These types of lookers will want closing costs, transfer fees, a few years of mf’s, etc even for good freebies.

It is about a real looker wanting what you have. For timeshares that we are selling, like any real estate transaction, supply and demand will dictate price. The right price sells sooner rather then later.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What if you based the price of your how on what you think it was worth in early 2008 and someone made you an offer in early 2009? That is kind of what is at play here. What a timeshare was worth in February may be far more than what you could sell it for now.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The market will be flooded with timeshares sales once MFs hit this fall. There is only one house in each location and buyers don't want to upset the seller and lose the deal.

Timeshares are not unique like houses. If the first seller rejects a lowball offer, a buyer can go down the list and get the exact same unit from another seller. If the seller is upset, well, there will likely be another seller who would be overjoyed at exiting.

Last edited:

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is all about supply and demand, plain and simple. If nobody wants to buy, the offers will be low. If there are lots of buyers, than the prices will be bid up. As a seller you might have a "blind spot" as to the value of your timeshare.

Another thing is the difference between an informed buyer and an uninformed buyer. if I do some homework, I can pick up timeshare weeks and points for significant discounts to and in some cases nothing, . At the same time, developers are getting top dollar for the same units to uninformed buyers.

At the current time some timeshare owners feel their timeshares have little value because of use limitations imposed by Covid 19 social restrictions. Perhaps a financial squeeze is also hurting their outlook. But all these issues still go back to demand for the item being offered.

If you want top dollar, don't advertise to people that are only going to buy wholesale and look for uninformed buyers.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timeshares are not like a house. A house is an asset that usually appreciates over the long term. Timeshares are a commodity and depreciate. Like @CalGalTraveler said, there are so many timeshares available that are identical that a buyer can just move onto the next one.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
concur--TS are a luxury, no one needs one. They tend to take a bath during hard times. And market gets flooded with resales.

Timeshares are not like a house. A house is an asset that appreciates over time.
Even houses feel the effect as well, esp. if you bought in some areas in 2004-early 2008. We have houses that are still $100K+ below what owners paid. Some are still 40% lower-my neighbor, for example. Many who put their homes up for sale got a big reality check. Realtors had to tell clients that pricing was not based upon what they had paid or what they thought it was worth, but what the current market would pay.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshares are similar to used cars. Some are worth more, some are worth less, and some are worth nothing (remember the Yugo in the 80's). It is the buyer who actually determines the value based upon the payment agreed upon what he/she is willing to pay......

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
concur--TS are a luxury, no one needs one. They tend to take a bath during hard times. And market gets flooded with resales.

Even houses feel the effect as well, esp. if you bought in some areas in 2004-early 2008. We have houses that are still $100K+ below what owners paid. Some are still 40% lower-my neighbor, for example. Many who put their homes up for sale got a big reality check. Realtors had to tell clients that pricing was not based upon what they had paid or what they thought it was worth, but what the current market would pay.

Yes, I know that has happened in many regions of the country. I should have said “usually” they appreciate over the long run. I will update my post.