• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Select benefits worth the points purchase?

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently have an offer to purchase at $9.20 direct from Marriott through an Encore package. I am at 2,375 points currently and can either purchase 1,000 points or stretch to 1,750 so that I would then get to the Select level of membership. Aside from the 13 month window - are there other benefits that I should consider? I am currently Platinum through work travel (and lifetime Gold locked in) for Bonvoy status.

They are also refunding Encore package price and allowing additional 2,000 points over the next 3 years.

Thank you for your input!

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Nope, I am select. If you need more points for booking reservations than resale would be the way to go, currently reporting all in costs around $4 per point so you would save $9,000 on the purchase of 1,750 points. I think the 7,000 level has more benefits with 25% off last minute booking and 13 month 1 night at a time. Your purchase of 5000 points (2x2500 points easier to find on resale than 4750) at $4 would be $20,000 vs your purchase of 1750 at $16000.

DJensen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall seeing notation of resale sites previously - having no luck with search here on TUG.

What are the best resale sites?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall seeing notation of resale sites previously - having no luck with search here on TUG.

I got my from a real estate agent. You find find some ads for points on Redweek. You can find some here on Tug under Marketplace. They have sold for as little as 76 cents/points lately + fees.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

I would look on redweek.com

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to look at resale for enough to get to Executive if it's in the budget. Or you could consider a resale week(s) and potentially use less points over time as you use or exchange the resale week(s). Potentially cheaper up front and for dues as well.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
Currently have an offer to purchase at $9.20 direct from Marriott through an Encore package. I am at 2,375 points currently and can either purchase 1,000 points or stretch to 1,750 so that I would then get to the Select level of membership. Aside from the 13 month window - are there other benefits that I should consider? I am currently Platinum through work travel (and lifetime Gold locked in) for Bonvoy status.

They are also refunding Encore package price and allowing additional 2,000 points over the next 3 years.

Thank you for your input!
Just to add my two cents here. I was convinced about the benefits of being select at the sales presentation that convinced me to purchase 1,500 points. In short...do not waste your money. If you need extra points to go somewhere...rent them. Do not under any circumstances give them your money.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased 1,000 points resale to go from Select to Executive. Was such an easy process I am using same guy again to add to my weeks. It's a buyers market for points.
You can PM for name.
Or if you want to look at Redweek. It took me a while to find link.
This will take you to points https://www.redweek.com/timeshare-companies/marriott-vacation-club/points-for-sale

Thank you for the link. Many points for sale on redweek, I might consider....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJensen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to add my two cents here. I was convinced about the benefits of being select at the sales presentation that convinced me to purchase 1,500 points. In short...do not waste your money. If you need extra points to go somewhere...rent them. Do not under any circumstances give them your money.

Not convinced on Select membership either - plenty of benefits from my work travel (Platinum) aside from 13 month window (little value to me). Considering the 1,000 points as a possible way to get better resort options for travel. I realize renting is possible but won't rental costs over time pass my purchase price (aside from annual maintenance fees)? Interested in your viewpoint of not giving them money?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I was Select from the beginning of the levels with my enrolled 2 bedroom Ko Olina week, and never used the 13 month window because I never had a problem reserving my week there. When I needed more points, I just rented. However, a couple of years ago when I realized I wanted more time, I bought two weeks from Marriott that took me to Presidential level. Now for me, I find it to be very worthwhile. I’m able to plot and plan my reservations with various scenarios to get what I want and when I want. I can effectively use II and points and take the better deal between the two, because I have many points to with which to work.

The difference between owner and select is minimal at best. You don’t need as many points at Select as you do for do at Owner level When making 13 month seven day reservations. The gold to platinum benefits are not that great too unless you use the hotels a lot. My recommendation is to not make that leap for select. I believe that you should strongly consider how much you’d really travel and how much time you need. That’s the ultimate determination for buying weeks/points.

Don’t let the salesman determine what you need or entice you with benefits that can be erased tomorrow. I need 1500 points to be at chairman level. I have thought about it, but the benefits are minimal in my opinion to spend even another $6000 - $8000. I would pass on the offer even with resale prices today.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I got my from a real estate agent. You find find some ads for points on Redweek. You can find some here on Tug under Marketplace. They have sold for as little as 76 cents/points lately + fees.

That's the resale price is down to from $3-4 ????? That's rock bottom, junk fees would be the big cost.