• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Marriott (VAC) and the other timeshares better positioned to weather the storm?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun and, judging just by what I see here, no signs that people are scared to travel. I am thinking that depending on the location, the timeshares may actually benefit from what is going on. Would I rather cruise or stay in a hotel? The answer is obvious to me. Would I stay in a hotel or in a timeshare unit? I would rather stay in a timeshare if I wanted to limit the contact with others because I can cook my own food, drink my own water and limit the normal exposure that you have in a restaurant.

Given that owners continue to pay their maintenance fees, exchange in Interval and probably buy timeshares (that are a long term "investments"), are the timeshares better positioned that the hotels to weather the current environment?

The pools look like this, business as usual
1583499754730.png

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think history shows us that timeshare resorts themselves tend to weather a variety of shocks better than other pieces of the travel industry (hotels, cruises and even airlines). Timeshare owners have typically been some of the first to "return" to normal travel patterns after these shock events as 1) they have sunk costs in annual maintenance fees and 2) many see timeshares an extension of their "homes" and have more permanently integrated timeshare trips into their everyday life.

However, the timeshare business overall is still very dependent on "sales" and shocks like these can have a more lasting input on sales...especially a worldwide shock like this that is also likely to have longer term economic consequences (it will take time for the reduced economic activity and supply chain hiccups to ripple through the economy). All the big developers still derive 40-60% of net revenue from sales and so they are still vulnerable to those impacts. Bottom line, I think they will weather the storm better than other travel industries and will recover more quickly, but the full magnitude of COVID-19 is still unknown and timeshare companies will not be immune.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Agreed, ocd. We're heading to Fort Lauderdale tonight for a stay at Beachplace Towers and I expect the crowds at the airport and at the resort when we get there won't be noticeably different than usual. The impact will be in sales to the developers as consumers see the impact of the stock market hit on their investments (the real kind Danny) and aren't as confident to spend money on TS. I work in NYC, so going ANYPLACE is certainly less congested and a reprieve from here. Be safe and healthy everyone!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We're headed to Orlando for Easter week (Royal Palms) and are planning to go to Universal. I'm interested to see what this does to those types of places. Heck, I'd welcome lower crowds there but am worried about full closures by then.

Agree on the impact to sales, at least in the short term. TS purchases are definitely at the "discretionary" part of the family budget and that's going to hit first.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will increase bribes for owner "updates" when I get to Kauai then.

David10225

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barony Beach
We're headed to Orlando for Easter week (Royal Palms) and are planning to go to Universal. I'm interested to see what this does to those types of

I am at Grand Vista now for a 2 day Universal visit. Crowds are (in my opinion) low to moderate. Lots of purell dispensers out at Universal. Ate a Disney Springs last night. It was SLAMMED!