• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Interval International annual fees included in Marriott management fees?

Jim Cameron

TUG Member
Reaction score
I reviewed the comparison between the 4 hotel based timeshares at http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/attachm...6&d=1188249732. It indicates that the II annual membership is included in the Marriott management fees. Is this correct? If so, are they also included for Marriott timeshares purchased in the resale market?
I know RCI's annual fees are included in the WorldMark management fees but didn't think this was the case for II and Marriott.
Your comments will be appreciated.
Yours truly,
Jim Cameron

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

II membership and exchange fees are NOT included with Marriott maintenance fees. The only exception is that you might get your first year of II membership free if you purchase directly from Marriott, but after that you will have to pay for it. (Saving that $89 is definitely not worth the extra thousands you'll pay by purchasing direct.)

Steve

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I reviewed the comparison between the 4 hotel based timeshares at http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/attachm...6&d=1188249732. It indicates that the II annual membership is included in the Marriott management fees. Is this correct? If so, are they also included for Marriott timeshares purchased in the resale market?
I know RCI's annual fees are included in the WorldMark management fees but didn't think this was the case for II and Marriott.
Yours truly,
Jim Cameron

With Marriott you choose whether you want to be a member of I.I. or not. With some others, including Hilton, you don't have a choice. Personally, I prefer how Marriott does it. If I don't want to be a member of an exchange company I'm not forced into it by the developer. I don't exchange my Hilton week through RCI yet every year I'm forced to pay for the corporate membership that automatically included in my MF's.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Hi Jim,

II membership and exchange fees are NOT included with Marriott maintenance fees. The only exception is that you might get your first year of II membership free if you purchase directly from Marriott, but after that you will have to pay for it. (Saving that $89 is definitely not worth the extra thousands you'll pay by purchasing direct.)

Steve

The salespeople really mislead prospective buyers into believing that II is included forever. I had that experience, and our daughter-in-law's parents also thought they would not ever have to pay the fee, as they were led to believe. They were surprised to discover that Marriott only paid that first year, and they bought a 3 bedroom at Ko'Olina. They would love to do that all over again. :wall:

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a few marriott timeshares and have attended at least 15 presentations and I have never been misled around II membership, but like anything it may depend on who you get selling the product.

I tend to think you need to exercise more caution when they try to explain the benefit of the resort they are selling and the power it has when trading in II. They all have a spin on why you are buying the best location. I don't think it matters as much as they act, I think the best bet is to find a location that you would never be disappointed to visit. From experience, I have traded both my Marriot weeks into a variety of resorts. Hyatts, Four Seasons, Sheratons, Disney.

Anyway, Just a tip.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I reviewed the comparison between the 4 hotel based timeshares at http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/attachm...6&d=1188249732. It indicates that the II annual membership is included in the Marriott management fees.

I put the chart together--looks like I made an error. I don't own Marriott so I misunderstood the situation. Actually, I think another Tugger mentioned this, but somehow I forget to change make this change when I submitted an updated version. Anyway, I've submitted a new version:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83345

Thanks!

Glorian

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
The salespeople really mislead prospective buyers into believing that II is included forever. I had that experience, and our daughter-in-law's parents also thought they would not ever have to pay the fee, as they were led to believe. They were surprised to discover that Marriott only paid that first year, and they bought a 3 bedroom at Ko'Olina. They would love to do that all over again. :wall:

I'm assuming that there were other issues as well. I'd hate to think that someone would be completely dissatisfied with Marriott's product just because that $89 fee, which is optional (only necessary if you want to exchange through I.I.), wasn't included in the yearly MF's.

It could be included but, you're MF's would just go up and, it would be that way whether or not you even used I.I.

mfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yours truly,
Jim Cameron

That's not true either. RCI annual fee is only included if you bought directly from Wyndham and signed up for the TravelShare program, which carries a fee on top of the regular maintenance fees. If you opt out of TS or if you purchased resale (and not qualify for TS), you'll have to pay for RCI or II annual fees separately.

taffy19

Reaction score
With Marriott you choose whether you want to be a member of I.I. or not. With some others, including Hilton, you don't have a choice. Personally, I prefer how Marriott does it. If I don't want to be a member of an exchange company I'm not forced into it by the developer. I don't exchange my Hilton week through RCI yet every year I'm forced to pay for the corporate membership that automatically included in my MF's.
Me too. I hope it will not change when they go over to the internal exchange system if that ever becomes reality. Nobody has mentioned it lately. ;)

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sales BS

The internal exchange system is sales BS.
The only time it is every mentioned is by sales when trying to convince people that soon Marriott will be going to an internal system and people who bought resale will not be able to trade as easily.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
The internal exchange system is sales BS.
The only time it is every mentioned is by sales when trying to convince people that soon Marriott will be going to an internal system and people who bought resale will not be able to trade as easily.

I doubt that it is all sales BS. There are a few people on these forums that have a few connections inside MVC. While nothing has ever been iron clad, there have been discussions. MVC also has a points based system in play already with it's asian product and, if I understand right, some of the inventory at Grand Chateau is included in the points based system.

While the sales team took very little information and ran with it, creating huge rumors that had little basis in fact, I do believe that MVC has considered moving towards some sort of internal exchange and/or points based system. Whether or not it will ever see the light of day is an entirely different subject.