• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA releases 2024 Timeshare Owners Report

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im sure there is a logical explanation for the math not adding up.....but i cant get to 100% no matter what lol.

some questions simply shouldnt allow for multiple answers, especially if hte goal is to make a chart or graph based on the % of responses!

IMO posting the questions asked for each of those cited charts/graphs would go a long way into explaining why the numbers are weird.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
some of the % numbers confuse me....

i mean i get that there are systems where points values for a specific week are part of the ownership, but this entire page seems to categorize these as different types of ownership?
Some owners own weeks, some own points and some own both. They should have just used those three categories. It seems they overlapped the numbers.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Outlets malls one time was a place to find quality clothings and merchandise as reduce costs and savings.

Now IMO, outlets malls now sale seconds clothing, rejects and off brand merchandise.
The clothing is not first class quality or even last season merchandise.

Clothings and merchandise are now being make just for outlets malls. IMHO
You are correct, there used to be only a few outlet malls and they were truly outlets, selling merchandise that didn't sell, returns, etc.

Retailers then discovered people like outlet malls, so they built them all over the country.

Now it's mainly merchandise made specifically for outlet mall locations that is of slightly lower quality than what is offered in the non-outlet stores.

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, especially vacationers.

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
This report strikes me as more of a PR puff piece rather than an objective attempt to understand the current state of the TS industry/market.

Why do I say that?
(1) Look at the sponsors of the report.
(2) The report disclaimer state there is no actionable data ... Ok so who's the intended audience?
(3) Pay attention to what is NOT presented. Anything on size of market, # of resorts, units? Avg new sales transaction amount? Typical MFs?
No, all missing. Even the demographic data isn't that useful.

It's entertaining in the same manner as Family Feud surveys ...

But I'm sure a number of folks were paid well to produce this report!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder which major developers collect the most ARDA Fees from timeshare owners ?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct, there used to be only a few outlet malls and they were truly outlets, selling merchandise that didn't sell, returns, etc.

Retailers then discovered people like outlet malls, so they built them all over the country.

Now it's mainly merchandise made specifically for outlet mall locations that is of slightly lower quality than what is offered in the non-outlet stores.

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, especially vacationers.
In the Coastal Virginia area there are now two (2) major outlets malls.
One is on the City line of Norfolk/ Virginia Beach and other one is Williamsburg, Virginia.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
im sure there is a logical explanation for the math not adding up.....but i cant get to 100% no matter what lol.

some questions simply shouldnt allow for multiple answers, especially if hte goal is to make a chart or graph based on the % of responses!

IMO posting the questions asked for each of those cited charts/graphs would go a long way into explaining why the numbers are weird.
If the info is true, I think one of the mindboggling aspects to me is implication of just how many people own months in timeshares along with how many are booking 4+ units at a time. I think this is quite the mindbender for people who (like on TUG) tend to think of TS ownership in terms of discrete weeks. For us, I think it'd be way more informative to normalize over weeks. I.e. if you own 4 weeks, you don't answer one multiple selection permitted question on use, but answer on a per week or per contract (for points) basis. It's still a bit weird for points, but again, I also tend to think most people on TUG think about whatever their MF "chunks" are.

I.e. instead of per owner it's per week/ownership interest contract. And really, I'd still think some attempt to normalize the ownership interests / points back to an average week cost or something would be useful. Because like in my previous example, "not being able to use or save" 300 HGVC points is different from 6,000 even though the 6,000 isn't necessarily going to get you a week.

Now that I'm thinking about this more, HGVC still makes sense as weeks as that's how it's sold underlying, but Wyndham is not - IDK if I'd normalize my 405,000 points as one or two weeks (or potentially more I guess), because it depends so much on time and location and I've got nothing to point (as a resale owner) to what it was even conceptualized as to the original owner. Maybe something like percentage of ownership used, rented , wasted? With weeks it'd be stark blocks, but in all the points system I would bet that as long as you're getting over 90% the owners are likely still happyish. But it also would be interesting to know how many people are getting value vs not in reality.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think perhaps its folks who buy lots of points and are able to take 2-3-4-5 weeks worth of vacations with that point allotment (especially booking 1brs or studios)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SWFL HGV Affiliate Resort
Outlets malls one time was a place to find quality clothings and merchandise as reduce costs and savings.

Now IMO, outlets malls now sale seconds clothing, rejects and off brand merchandise.
The clothing is not first class quality or even last season merchandise.

Clothings and merchandise are now being make just for outlets malls. IMHO
I used to work for Michael Kors in the outlets, they do make certain bags and clothing differently for the outlets. Same with the MK Bags you find in TJ Maxx and Ross, MUCH WORST quality than what you'd buy in the outlets, and MILES below what you'd purchase at MK Collection stores.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested to see that "Quality of technology" rates so high - what the heck does that even mean?

It means that at some point they attempted to use the Club Wyndham's website lol

Seriously though it’s crazy that in most of the forums there are owners complaining about IT issues or at least in the ones I follow along with.
MVC, DVC and Wyndham…it’s a constant stream of error messages….

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
It means that at some point they attempted to use the Club Wyndham's website lol

Seriously though it’s crazy that in most of the forums there are owners complaining about IT issues or at least in the ones I follow along with.
MVC, DVC and Wyndham…it’s a constant stream of error messages….
I don't see it on the HGVC site as much, and I personally haven't experienced it except for re-logging in now tries to take me to a non-existant diamond account. But I still at this point have to think the bad website is on purpose, to try and discourage you from actually using the timeshare. No one is that incompetent as a major business in 2024.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What’s not being talked about here is the selection bias in the survey sample. Those most likely to respond to an ARDA survey would be those owners who are happiest with their ownership. I am surprised that this is not acknowledged anywhere in the report

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see it on the HGVC site as much, and I personally haven't experienced it except for re-logging in now tries to take me to a non-existant diamond account. But I still at this point have to think the bad website is on purpose, to try and discourage you from actually using the timeshare. No one is that incompetent as a major business in 2024.
The Wyndham website at this point is keeping me from adding on with them…i have enjoyed the resorts we have visited. Before jumping in resale with them I had read here on tug that the website was clumsy and that was my biggest fear for purchasing. That fear came to fruition more so than I could have imagined. So instead of taking on another Wyndham I am researching other options.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
What’s not being talked about here is the selection bias in the survey sample. Those most likely to respond to an ARDA survey would be those owners who are happiest with their ownership. I am surprised that this is not acknowledged anywhere in the report
Along those lines are what is owned, for example if they asked DVCers -Disney does no wrong , and how- specifically financing if they financed and how from what I have seen makes a difference