• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA releases 2024 Timeshare Owners Report

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Attachments

• 2024usownersreport.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 302

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
What I thought was most interesting was the affiliations of the Board of Directors. It shows that the organization will focus on the interest of the developers, not the individual owners.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Ohhh, that 11 days on average on a timeshare vacation - I'd love to see the mean and a distribution chart. It seems like the the logical values for "timeshare normies" would be 0 - i.e. no trips, the people who all end up hating timeshares, 7 days (using a traditional week or sold week) and then the rest of us on TUG at 4+ weeks a year would seem to be the long tail. But Average without a distribution it's really unclear if the other huge percentage is at 2 weeks, or if there's a few at a huge number that are fighting against all the 0 days...

Then there's the repeat visits - I think that has to be a function of most timeshare people being "in the game" for a long time. I'm going back to a location for the first time next week. I could imagine 10 years from now I might hit 7 return visits to Massanutten if we do keep wanting to do it around Memorial Day each year. Smuggs might also be a lot of trips. Depending on how next year's trips to New Orleans goes, I can see going back at least once - though a lot of these are because "everyone" can't go at once, but "everyone" wants to go to some of the same places. But still, over 7 times!

"Over 70% of owners would recommend timeshare ownership in general" is a little hard to believe, their data has to be skewed somehow to the very positive end of the owners. Even on TUG, where we're mostly pretty pro timeshare and have generally good experiences with our ownerships don't think it's a general recommendation. Or maybe all the internet posts and news stories are overall majorly negatively biased I guess. But in terms of just "all timeshare owners" I am surprised only 30% have reservations on widespread recommendations.

The income brackets don't surprise me.

Kind of sad (though OTOH good for us cheapskates and the companies I guess) that even Millenials and Gen Z are over 2/3rds retail purchases. I would have expected more "truth finding online" here. Though it's also trending down, the n for Gen Z is quite small so IDK if the numbers are as well sourced as the larger other generations (IDK why Gen X is split either).

The statistics on new owners of 16% seems "reasonable" to me for a 2 year period. I don't know how that compares to say car ownership, or appliance, or other "major" but also often somewhat ongoing markets. But if that holds true over time I think it puts paid to the "timeshare owners are all aging out" so the market is going to collapse.

"The average length of timeshare ownership
is 13 years, with Baby Boomers owning their
timeshare for 21 years and Gen Zers owning
for 9 years."

That Gen Z statistic is kind of unbelievable to me - the oldest Gen Z are 27 right now (OMG that's old lol) and if they've owned for 9 years they bought as soon as they turned 18. Which means all the others somehow got a timeshare as minors? Press X to doubt XXXXXXXX.

Ok - well then there's an average of over 4 trips! I guess I was wrong at the beginning, it's way more people going for a LONG time, and using an average of 2.5 units, which means to me a lot of 0 days a year and a number of IDK 30+ days a year. And wow, I did NOT expect the implication that a LOT of people are booking 3+ units each stay. I guess it must be way more family reunions etc than I thought. Though I also am considering that - if this 2 unit Massanutten trip works out, maybe we'll try and book something like that if we ever kick off "family reunions" at all.

I'm surprised how many people seemingly are happy and also booking between one week and 6 months. Remember most don't seem to be booking last calls or the like. And over a quarter are one to 3 months out specifically! I guess it seems possible to "not plan" and be a happy owner if you believe all this. Another press X to doubt for me, or we need more context.

"Timeshare owners overwhelmingly return to their previous trips’ destinations, with over 80% of owners
being repeat visitors to their most recent destination."

I still think a lot of this is a function of limited locations, and the selection bias of the people who buy timeshares retail are going to be people who desire to go back to those locations many many times. Remember this is only 1/13 Americans. I'm guessing a huge majority of people in general don't go to the same place over and over again unless it's to go to family and stay in their house.

Wondering again about the skew of their data given that they say only 16% didn't use it at all. This doesn't really feel right to me, but maybe it's just the complainers we hear about in the media.

It's both surprising and not to see skiing at 15%.

Interesting to see "Kid friendly games, arts and crafts" at only 24%.

"Overall ownership experience satisfaction tends to be a function of income as
higher income owners"

Also not so surprising. You need to have a certain amount of free money even with the discounted lodgings via timeshares to travel.

"Younger owners (e.g., Millennials: 86%) are more likely 76%
to recommend timeshare ownership than their older
counterparts (e.g., Boomers: 48%)."
This does not seem to track with the "common wisdom" of Millennials and Gen Z being way more AirB&B interested. Though this again is just from people who are owners. But I'm quite surprised the Boomers are so low. I guess it has a little to do with who you're recommending it too? If I was in my 70s I probably wouldn't recommend to other people like me starting out with timeshares just due to ROI time. Whereas in my 40s (and many Millennials in their 30s) I think there's a long ROI time horizon for others like me. So again, context is going to matter.

I am interested to see that "Quality of technology" rates so high - what the heck does that even mean? I don't care if they have computers or game systems or whatever - I bring my own. I guess TVs matter to some, but that's kind of an either / or sort of thing right? I would guess the #1 is WiFi, and if that's the case, these resorts NEED TO MASSIVELY improve their WiFi. Like, don't worry about upgrading the appliances, TV size or much else till the WiFi is GREAT.

I am shocked that apparently 38% of people don't care THAT MUCH about how many bedrooms though.

The reasons to purchase a timeshare make sense except for Overall Flexibility - I mean, yes that's really important, but timeshares are the opposite of that... I wouldn't think anyone purchases a timeshare, especially someone happy with it, because they think it gives them more flexibility than just paying cash at hotels or wherever...

Interesting to see 43% have no children. Makes sense - children can make it hard to use a timeshare because of scheduling...

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I thought was most interesting was the affiliations of the Board of Directors. It shows that the organization will focus on the interest of the developers, not the individual owners.
I mean, it's right there in the name:

American Resort Developers Association

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I mean, it's right there in the name:

American Resort Developers Association
Good point! Our Hilton Vacation Club maintenance fee statement says: "ARDA promotes the interest of vacation ownership legislation on local, state and federal levels, including tax-related issues." Not exactly true.

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Shopping is the most attractive characteristic of selected resort area? Really?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Question: Where any Tuggers interviewed for this survey ?
That was my question as well.

If anyone calls me about timeshare, I pretty much brush them off and hang up, as I only get scam calls, and usually several per day. No matter that I block the number because the same people call with a different phone number showing on caller ID. It's neverending.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Shopping is the most attractive characteristic of selected resort area? Really?
I mean, outlets are often interesting to me and my family. Clearly they seem to be around most resort areas so I would guess there's more people going there. Cool malls or the like can also be fun. IDK I can see it - not everyone is a pool lounger or beach sitter. But I do also think the survey seems off in some ways - but maybe our perceptions are actually off!

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ohhh, that 11 days on average on a timeshare vacation - I'd love to see the mean and a distribution chart. It seems like the the logical values for "timeshare normies" would be 0 - i.e. no trips, the people who all end up hating timeshares, 7 days (using a traditional week or sold week) and then the rest of us on TUG at 4+ weeks a year would seem to be the long tail. But Average without a distribution it's really unclear if the other huge percentage is at 2 weeks, or if there's a few at a huge number that are fighting against all the 0 days...

Then there's the repeat visits - I think that has to be a function of most timeshare people being "in the game" for a long time. I'm going back to a location for the first time next week. I could imagine 10 years from now I might hit 7 return visits to Massanutten if we do keep wanting to do it around Memorial Day each year. Smuggs might also be a lot of trips. Depending on how next year's trips to New Orleans goes, I can see going back at least once - though a lot of these are because "everyone" can't go at once, but "everyone" wants to go to some of the same places. But still, over 7 times!

"Over 70% of owners would recommend timeshare ownership in general" is a little hard to believe, their data has to be skewed somehow to the very positive end of the owners. Even on TUG, where we're mostly pretty pro timeshare and have generally good experiences with our ownerships don't think it's a general recommendation. Or maybe all the internet posts and news stories are overall majorly negatively biased I guess. But in terms of just "all timeshare owners" I am surprised only 30% have reservations on widespread recommendations.

Kind of sad (though OTOH good for us cheapskates and the companies I guess) that even Millenials and Gen Z are over 2/3rds retail purchases. I would have expected more "truth finding online" here. Though it's also trending down, the n for Gen Z is quite small so IDK if the numbers are as well sourced as the larger other generations (IDK why Gen X is split either).

The statistics on new owners of 16% seems "reasonable" to me for a 2 year period. I don't know how that compares to say car ownership, or appliance, or other "major" but also often somewhat ongoing markets. But if that holds true over time I think it puts paid to the "timeshare owners are all aging out" so the market is going to collapse.

for 9 years."

That Gen Z statistic is kind of unbelievable to me - the oldest Gen Z are 27 right now (OMG that's old lol) and if they've owned for 9 years they bought as soon as they turned 18. Which means all the others somehow got a timeshare as minors? Press X to doubt XXXXXXXX.

Ok - well then there's an average of over 4 trips! I guess I was wrong at the beginning, it's way more people going for a LONG time, and using an average of 2.5 units, which means to me a lot of 0 days a year and a number of IDK 30+ days a year. And wow, I did NOT expect the implication that a LOT of people are booking 3+ units each stay. I guess it must be way more family reunions etc than I thought. Though I also am considering that - if this 2 unit Massanutten trip works out, maybe we'll try and book something like that if we ever kick off "family reunions" at all.

I'm surprised how many people seemingly are happy and also booking between one week and 6 months. Remember most don't seem to be booking last calls or the like. And over a quarter are one to 3 months out specifically! I guess it seems possible to "not plan" and be a happy owner if you believe all this. Another press X to doubt for me, or we need more context.

"Timeshare owners overwhelmingly return to their previous trips’ destinations, with over 80% of owners

I still think a lot of this is a function of limited locations, and the selection bias of the people who buy timeshares retail are going to be people who desire to go back to those locations many many times. Remember this is only 1/13 Americans. I'm guessing a huge majority of people in general don't go to the same place over and over again unless it's to go to family and stay in their house.

Wondering again about the skew of their data given that they say only 16% didn't use it at all. This doesn't really feel right to me, but maybe it's just the complainers we hear about in the media.

higher income owners"

Also not so surprising. You need to have a certain amount of free money even with the discounted lodgings via timeshares to travel.

This does not seem to track with the "common wisdom" of Millennials and Gen Z being way more AirB&B interested. Though this again is just from people who are owners. But I'm quite surprised the Boomers are so low. I guess it has a little to do with who you're recommending it too? If I was in my 70s I probably wouldn't recommend to other people like me starting out with timeshares just due to ROI time. Whereas in my 40s (and many Millennials in their 30s) I think there's a long ROI time horizon for others like me. So again, context is going to matter.

I am interested to see that "Quality of technology" rates so high - what the heck does that even mean? I don't care if they have computers or game systems or whatever - I bring my own. I guess TVs matter to some, but that's kind of an either / or sort of thing right? I would guess the #1 is WiFi, and if that's the case, these resorts NEED TO MASSIVELY improve their WiFi. Like, don't worry about upgrading the appliances, TV size or much else till the WiFi is GREAT.

I am shocked that apparently 38% of people don't care THAT MUCH about how many bedrooms though.

The reasons to purchase a timeshare make sense except for Overall Flexibility - I mean, yes that's really important, but timeshares are the opposite of that... I wouldn't think anyone purchases a timeshare, especially someone happy with it, because they think it gives them more flexibility than just paying cash at hotels or wherever...

Interesting to see 43% have no children. Makes sense - children can make it hard to use a timeshare because of scheduling...

for 9 years."

higher income owners"

Quality of technology is all about fast Internet.

People want to stream movies, YouTube, video games and have Zoom meetings that all take large bandwidth.

Fast Internet is right up there with running water as a necessity.

Many resorts seem to be living in 2010s for Internet speeds, which is huge annoyance for guests.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SWFL HGV Affiliate Resort
WHOA WHOA WHOA people really sell timeshares on ebay? Like how? I mean im not interested, just curious.

This is an interesting read. Next thing you know they're selling them in Goodwill.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ebay has been a clearinghouse for $1 timeshares being liquidated by upfront fee resale companies (or their 3rd party partners) for many years.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this was listed at the top of the study indicating where the answers came from:

1. In order to measure the size and broad characteristics of the Timeshare Market, 3,441 interviews were conducted (844 via telephone 2,597 via online) among a representative sample of U.S.

2. A total of 2,549 interviews were then conducted online exclusively among timeshare owners in order to better understand the market in greater detail. To qualify, respondents had to be a minimum age of 18, self-identify as the primary household decision-maker for vacation planning, and own timeshare week(s) or points within North America. To ensure data quality, study participants were required to provide the company name of the timeshare property they currently own, without any prompting or aided lists, to confirm the respondent’s household owns a timeshare. These responses were manually vetted for accuracy. Further, a rigorous series of data quality and attentiveness protocols were deployed throughout both survey phases.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All the TikTokers and Influencers are going out buying up the timeshares with their internet fame money lol

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There's so many moving parts to this: More remote work, older people that CAN travel more, the Childless Middle-class people who CAN afford 13-day timeshare vacations... The timeshare owning crowd is a whole 'nother animal lol

Yippee Beachfront and Coastal are the places people want the most. That was a huge deciding factor for me when I found my timeshare home

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"Overall ownership experience satisfaction tends to be a function of income as higher income owners ($150K+: 95%) report higher satisfaction than their lower income counterparts (<$75K: 89%)."

DID THEY REALLY NEED TO EVEN SAY THIS lol

higher income: I can afford my maintenance fees.
lower income: i can't afford my maintenance fees.

Also says more males own than females..... I think just more husbands' names are on the deed than the wives' names. Not to turn it into a gender war, but just i feel more couples would put the males name first even though the woman probably talked him into the purchase.

"Those who recently purchased their timeshare are more likely to be younger, more affluent, married with children and highly educated."

Again..... duh??? Im not buying a long term investment at the age of 65 when I can hardly move and have bad knees and dementia....

I'm mid-30s, Not Married, No Children.... and looking at these numbers no wonder I have never even THOUGHT about timeshare ownership lol

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Millenials and Gen Z are over 2/3rds retail purchases. I would have expected more "truth finding online" here
" I would have expected more "truth finding online" here" ... every time you propose that I have to rub my eyes, put in eye-drops and check if I went to an alt-universe

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I mean, outlets are often interesting to me and my family. Clearly they seem to be around most resort areas so I would guess there's more people going there. Cool malls or the like can also be fun. IDK I can see it - not everyone is a pool lounger or beach sitter. But I do also think the survey seems off in some ways - but maybe our perceptions are actually off!
Outlets malls one time was a place to find quality clothings and merchandise as reduce costs and savings.

Now IMO, outlets malls now sale seconds clothing, rejects and off brand merchandise.
The clothing is not first class quality or even last season merchandise.

Clothings and merchandise are now being make just for outlets malls. IMHO

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did I missed the section from the developers that they will take back your timeshare ?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
some of the % numbers confuse me....

About three-quarters (74%) of owners own a week at a timeshare resort, while 57% own vacation points

i mean i get that there are systems where points values for a specific week are part of the ownership, but this entire page seems to categorize these as different types of ownership?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
one of the more interesting statistics noted how the interval was booked, showing only 1/4 of all reservations made via exchange companies?

id be curious to see that % over the past 10 years.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
another odd one for me

1726861308993.png

if 75% used their timeshare, that means 25% did not.

yet just below that, it shows 16% didnt use combined with 15% "gave away"....thats 31% that didnt use/exchange/convert their own timeshare?

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Lol @ these percentages.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
another odd one for me

View attachment 99654

if 75% used their timeshare, that means 25% did not.

yet just below that, it shows 16% didnt use combined with 15% "gave away"....thats 31% that didnt use/exchange/convert their own timeshare?
These stats are really confusingly presented, but I think what they mean is a large contingent owns 4+ weeks, and so some people in 2023 used some of their ownership, but did not use all of their ownership, and also gave away some.

With points it gets even less clear. If you had say 30,000 HGVC points, you might have booked 2 weeks 2BR prime season in Florida for 22,400 pts, gave away one week 2BR off season in HHI for 5,600 pts and have 2,000 pts you couldn't use and didn't want to pay to bank for whatever reason so "did not use". This one person checked 3 boxes.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Outlets malls one time was a place to find quality clothings and merchandise as reduce costs and savings.

Now IMO, outlets malls now sale seconds clothing, rejects and off brand merchandise.
The clothing is not first class quality or even last season merchandise.

Clothings and merchandise are now being make just for outlets malls. IMHO
I'm not claiming outlet malls are great quality - I've heard (and might believe) what you're saying, that they have crappier stuff made just for the outlets. I'm just saying they're fun to wander around for some people and some stuff for those people is worth buying.