• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA and ARDA-ROC Oppose Legislation Proposal [SC "TIMESHARE OWNERS PROTECTION ACT"]

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
that appears to be a proposed bill for the state of SC only.

although many bills begin in states and are merely adopted by other states if they are popular/successful etc.

So if this bill does indeed pass, I guess after a few years of implementation, it should fairly accurately answer this frequently-occurring debate we have here on TUG whether resorts should be required to take back deeds from owners who, for one reason or another, no longer want their deed, as well as what consequences (intended and unintended) will happen if resorts are required to take back unwanted deeds.:shrug:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Many timeshares remind me of the old story about the farmer who would take piece by piece, meat off a hog. When asked why he did that he replied, "that hog saved my life once, I can't kill him all at once.

As much as we love timesharing and how it has changed many of our lives we can't face the fact that many of them are going to die. I think it's just how soon it starts and how long it's going to take that is in question.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
As much as we love timesharing and how it has changed many of our lives we can't face the fact that many of them are going to die. I think it's just how soon it starts and how long it's going to take that is in question.

You could be correct. I think the main problem is that too many were built. Maybe the developers adopted that famous line from (I think) the movie Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come."

But, if many do, as you put it, "die", then that should make the remaining ones more valuable and perhaps put many of the much-maligned TS sales people, Viking Ships, upfront fee scammers, and PCCs out of business.:shrug:

jbercu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excluding magic wands or pixie dust as options, what exactly would you (and / or the authors of the proposed SC legislation) suggest as a clear and specific way to "restore value" (...a very convenient but painfully fuzzy phrase) to such "weak weeks"? Unless the place is in disrepair (...mine isn't), the management company has no influence on the marketplace or value. Likewise, forcing "weak weeks" down the throat of the HOA is certainly not any form or flavor of solution and, just to repeat an earlier observation, those "weak week" owners did not acquire their week from the HOA in the first place, so how or why (possible later foreclosure proceedings aside and notwithstanding) should the owner-based HOA ever have to involuntarily accept responsibility for that now-unwanted ownership, voluntarily acquired previously elsewhere (not from the HOA) by its' current owner? :confused::shrug::confused:
Thanks for your question. I think it is important to note that the proposed legislation ignores the negative effects on the Association and puts an emphasis on consumer protection.
Here is a list of items that I am sure your association already considered, but it is worth a review.
This is free advice, so the value of this advice is suspect by definition.

1) Get advice and ideas
a. Engage owners in suggestions
b. Engage Your management company in an analysis
c. Have Board members attend TBMA on a regular basis and increase Board education and education budget.

2) Reduce and better manage activity with 3rd party entities that are renting your units bellow Bonus Time, and renting prime weeks below annual dues.

3) Reduce your Bonus Time price to a break-even level on a 2 night stay and increase Bonus Time availability to increase owner satisfaction and increase occupancy

4) Introduce a Friends and Family program to increase occupancy

5) Introduce an “Adopt A Week” program where owners can book an additional week from Association Inventory in addition to their ownership.

6) Select a Management company that understands the hospitality rental market so that the association can maximize rental income.

7) Introduce a resort specific Social Media site where owners can buy, sell, trade, and swap their ownership or their annual reservations.

8) Promote an on-site sales program that not only sells association Inventory, but also helps owners sell their units to the public.

9) Get off the Fee-For-Service model with you Management Company, and introduce Substantial Incentive Pay to achieve association Goals and Objectives. For example, 50%-50% split on rental income above budget rental income.

10) Develop statistics that Management must report on a quarterly basis. A critical statistic is how many owners in good standing pay their dues and do not use their weeks (either use or exchange). This is the alarm that can tell you if the value of your Association Intervals is going to be valued at $1. Industry standard is about 14% which includes many Associations at $1. You need to drive this metric below 10%.

11) Increase owner engagement using timely electronic reports, newsletters, surveys, meeting attendance, parties, celebrations, activities, prizes.

12) Modify your founding documents and ownership transfer procedures to eliminate the ability of Viking Ships and Card Companies to gain ownership at your resort.

13) From the limited summary information that you gave, it is obvious that you have two distinct challenges, and you should develop specific programs targeting specific solutions:
a. Attrition due to demographics which should account for 2% to 4% of the annual turnover. Consider taking back up to 1% per year
b. Steep seasonality and Float intervals and cause disenfranchised owners. Consider opening last minute occupancy of prime weeks if available.

14) Develop specific targets based on your specific Association situation for example and build a budget with the targets in mind:
a. Association owned Inventory – 3% to 4%
b. Deed back 1% per year
c. Foreclosure – 1% per year
d. Association Sales/Giveaways 2% per year
e. Total Occupancy 85%
f. Owner Occupancy and Exchanges 70% occupancy
g. Rental 15% of Occupancy

15) There is no timeshare association today where the owners in good standing are not paying for the delinquent owners. The question is how does the Board deliver that message to the owners, and what is the projected level, and is the Board and Management able to achieve that level?

Please note that I purposely ignored any discussion of bulk sale to clubs, which is the favorite solution of ARDA and ARDA-ROC, because it is a sure way to drive deeded ownership value to zero.

I also detected an attitude about the responsibility of the consumer to understand the contract they entered into. In this direct answer to your question, I am much more concerned about the attitude, responsibility and fiduciary duty of the Board member regardless of hypothesizing on how the consumer became a deeded owner.

In short, the valueless intervals are most likely the symptom of questionable Board and management procedures and decisions, and that is consistent with the strong statements made by the South Carolina proposed bill. While temporary factors such as economic conditions can make timeshare ownership valueless, these are temporary conditions that a good Board and good Management must be able to overcome.

You can PM me if you would like more specifics on how to accomplish any of the items on the list.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
great ideas there!

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

In short, the valueless intervals are most likely the symptom of questionable Board and management procedures and decisions, and that is consistent with the strong statements made by the South Carolina proposed bill. While temporary factors such as economic conditions can make timeshare ownership valueless, these are temporary conditions that a good Board and good Management must be able to overcome.

You can PM me if you would like more specifics on how to accomplish any of the items on the list.

I don't disagree with anything you said in your post but I believe the most likely reason for valueless intervals is the way developers pushed off season weeks on people convincing them that they can use those summer weeks in the desert and winter weeks up north not near any skiing for trades and it won't matter which week they own. We now see that the weeks you own do matter especially when trying to unload them.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't disagree with anything you said in your post but I believe the most likely reason for valueless intervals is the way developers pushed off season weeks on people convincing them that they can use those summer weeks in the desert and winter weeks up north not near any skiing for trades and it won't matter which week they own. We now see that the weeks you own do matter especially when trying to unload them.

This is why I think Smugglers Notch's way of packaging their weeks back in the day was a good model. You want a prime fixed week every year? Well, you have to take a per-assigned floating off-season week with that as well. Don't want to pay two weeks maintenance fees every year? Then, we can sell you a prime fixed week every other year, with a preassigned off-season floating week in between. Most of those floaters are the old "pink" and "white" weeks- rarely if any "blue".

BUT- even with that- they had to eventually resort to converting to RCI points and then to Wyndham...and- they still are having issues....what's the answer- who knows?

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your question. I think it is important to note that the proposed legislation ignores the negative effects on the Association and puts an emphasis on consumer protection.
Here is a list of items that I am sure your association already considered, but it is worth a review.
This is free advice, so the value of this advice is suspect by definition.

You didn't include:
16) Restore benefits that trickled away over the course of time-share ownership. In my case, initial (1991) ownership included included exchange privileges with every other property in the chain at no fee. Over time the number of properties eligible for exchange dwindled and eventually was cut off. At the same time, exchange fees increased and increased, finally reaching the point where it didn't make sense to exchange. (Then, of course, the chain killed the entire program on the grounds that no one was using it. :) ).

Theo, you asked what an HOA--at least a chain-associated HOA--could to to increase value. There's another item for you.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I have felt that something like this has been needed for a long time. BUT there is a huge difference between a single independent resort and a huge TS developer still in active sales.

There is no reason for a huge TS developer who is selling weeks/points for tens of thousands of dollars to not take back fulled paid for TS week/points.

Asking a HOA with no sales to take back week/points with no real way to increase ownership is IMHO asking too much.

I think this proposed law is horrible. I do agree, however, that there is a huge difference between a sold-out resort and a resort in active sales. I would be OK with this type of approach if limited to that latter situation .

Lemonjuice

TUG Member
Reaction score
"There is certainly some admirable pro-consumer reasoning within this proposal, but I fail to see how "force feeding" unwanted timeshare ownerships of "weak weeks" down the throats of small, independent timeshare HOA's (who btw, did not sell that timeshare to its' current, previously-willing owner in the first place) is in any way good for either the facility or its' remaining, willing owners who will then be involuntarily forced to "carry" additional financial burden. "

I respectfully disagree with the above statement. I am a board member too. Seems the SC bill has it right (though probably needs to be tweaked). If boards are forced to think about how to make the best use of weak weeks, they can either develop a rental program, an exchange program or to close the resort down for low seasons and save money. Individual owners cannot do that, and right now boards happily rely on owners of bad weeks to pay maintenance fees without having to think about how to optimize the operations of the resort. This is unsustainable. Moreover, if it turns out that after all efforts, the resort itself is unsustainable with off-weeks in the hands of the board then the highest and best use for the resort is to terminate the timeshare regime, sell the real estate, and distribute funds to remaining owners, or to reposition in another way. I hope SC succeeds in passing this law.