• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

arch support for the feet

yan19454

Reaction score
Do I need to pay $300 for the customize arch support for my feet. Any idea ?

Thanks.

MNMary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had custom made supports, and they were uncomfortable for me. I have switched all my shoes over to birkenstocks 5 years ago and have not had any problems with my feet. My husband went to someone who specializes in feet problems (local shoe store) and got generic arch supports like used in tennis shoes and hasn't been bothered by plantar fascitis for at least 3 years. I am on my feet 90% of the day (nurse) and don't have problems except on my days off when I don't wear shoes.

Flo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have custom made orthotics made by a podiatrist. They last several years and were worth the money for me. Check with your health insurance company-they may cover all or part of the cost.

mtngal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on your feet and why you need orthodics. I have a friend who got some inserts (I think they were Happy Feet, but I could be wrong about the name) and she thought they were fine. I didn't have much luck with them, and I'm now very happy with my custom orthodics - don't find them uncomfortable at all. My medical insurance covered half of the $300 cost, and I don't regret paying my portion of it at all. I'll get another pair whenever these wear out (they are still fine and I've had them for several years).

Faith

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Orthotics

I was having terrible pain before I got orthotics. I have to wear them ALL the time or my feet hurt. They are so worth it for me.

Faith

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Try www.runnersroost.com for answers to foot problems

Plantar fascitis is caused by exercising without stretching your feet. I had terrible pain for years, then I bought a good running shoe with a support built in, which helped.

The real cure for my heel and foot pain was the seated calf raise machine that my husband got for me to go with my other weight-lifting equipment. It took about twelve weeks and NO PAIN EVER! Yay!

I looked at a site/ store for good shoes before we went to Disney the last time. I found out that my feet are not at all straight. I bought some Saucony running shoes that are amazing. I feel like I am wearing slippers. Foot pain is a terrible thing. You have to solve it or you can never do what you are capable of doing. :)

Last edited:

yan19454

Reaction score
Mine is called peroneal tendonitis from MRI test result. But the physical therapist said my symptom is not match the test result. my insurance will not pay a penny for that. I feel pain if I drive more than one hours. Just got a sole custom footbed from REI($42.00). Hopefully it solve the problem. The associate works in the REI sold me that. She has the same position pain for more than three years. She can't find the cure.

I feel the calf machine work. I has been pain for six monthes.

Where can I find the Birkenstocks shoe in store ? I want to purchase one.

Thanks.

Last edited:

MNMary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Birkenstocks are in many stores, and have their own stores. It's important that you get the right size. I now buy most of mine from ebay--about 1/2 price. I have their insoles in my tennis shoes now after I had problems when using my treadmill.

yan19454

Reaction score
It will be my first pair. I think I need to try out and feel it first. Thanks.

timetraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
yan19454 said:
Mine is called peroneal tendonitis from MRI test result. But the physical therapist said my symptom is not match the test result. my insurance will not pay a penny for that. I feel pain if I drive more than one hours. Just got a sole custom footbed from REI($42.00). Hopefully it solve the problem. The associate works in the REI sold me that. She has the same position pain for more than three years. She can't find the cure.

I feel the calf machine work. I has been pain for six monthes.

Thanks.

Were you checked for calcaneal heel spurs? Biggest percentage of people with foot pain is due to large calcium deposits that resemble elephant tusks!
Insurance does pay for orthotics with that diagnosis.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy, I have just gone thru all this. I went to a podiatrist, a foot and ankle clinic. What a scam. Three weeks and $5000 later, my hip and back hurt so much from what he had done to me, that I had to go to an orthopedic surgeon. He started me on physical therapy for the back and hip and she did give me a lot of stretches for my foot. I went and got custom orthotics made, my insurance did pay 80%. Would you believe the foot doctor was charging me $170 every three days, to put wraps around my arches, that is 7 times $170 for throw aways, so the orthotics were cheap in comparison. Right now they are still bothering me, it has been one week. After 4 weeks of therapy and still a lot of pain, my insurance approved an MRI. Now I will be seeing a neurosurgeon and perhaps getting surgery on the back.

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
yan19454 said:

Thanks.

I buy my Birks from QVC too--they often have cute styles that I don't see elsewhere--well, at least as cute as a Birk can get! A note on sizing. I wear a ladies' size 9, so I ordered the equivalent of an 8-9 the first time. I had to return them for the 10-11. The 8-9 was very uncomfortable because my foot wouldn't sit right in it; as soon as I put the 10-11 on, they felt wonderful. At first I thought they made my feet look huge, but I got over that in a hurry the first time I wore them all day without a single twinge of discomfort.

I can also recommend the Professional Clogs worn by chefs and nurses--brand name escapes me at the moment, I must be having a brain cramp! The Walking Company carries them. I work in retail and won't wear anything else to work. My Birks are open-toed, so I'm not allowed to wear them to work. (And I'm old fashioned, and won't wear open toes between Labor Day and Memorial Day!)

mtngal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The podiatrist that did my orthodics said that superfeet were probably the next best thing, if my insurance company hadn't approved the orthodics and if I weren't going to pay for them myself. It really does depend on what's wrong with your feet as to whether orthodics are appropriate or not.

Even if you have custom orthodics, a good, well designed shoe is very important, as well as replacing them before they wear out (mine break down inside before I ever get holes or obvious wear).