• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone use Taxact.com?

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've used Turbo Tax the past few years with success, but the price is always going up for the Deluxe version with e-filing and state return e-filing. TA has free federal e-file and significantly lower fee for state filing. We'll have usual income calculations with interest and divs, easy deductions (nothing fancy), and small sale of mutual funds purchased over time. Bottom line...has anyone used it? How user friendly? Does it work and is it accurate. Usually you get what you pay for so I'm not sure if it's even worth our time.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like Turbo Tax (TT) has free e-file (up to 5) and is discounted at Costco now (see link).

I use TT and would find it very difficult not have the "import from last year" option when doing my taxes this year... (i.e they got me!!!!)

We've used Turbo Tax the past few years with success, but the price is always going up for the Deluxe version with e-filing and state return e-filing. TA has free federal e-file and significantly lower fee for state filing. We'll have usual income calculations with interest and divs, easy deductions (nothing fancy), and small sale of mutual funds purchased over time. Bottom line...has anyone used it? How user friendly? Does it work and is it accurate. Usually you get what you pay for so I'm not sure if it's even worth our time.

Last edited:

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
On-line, the TT cost for fed/state e-file is $29.95/$34.95 for a total of $64.90. The TA cost is $16.95 for both, plus apparently has a FAFSA help sheet (filing for 1st time this year) which may be of benefit. What's the catch?

The Conch Man

Reaction score
I've been using Tax Act now for 3 years after many, many years of using Turbo Tax, for the reason you stated is why I changed. Been using the Deluxe version for the same amount of time & its not that much different from TT, once you use it, the following year they E-mail to purchase their product for under $20, which includes your State.

I'll never go back to TT as they keep raising their software every year & TA's software product is great! I'm sure they will raise their prices in the up-coming years but for the last 3 years, its been the same price.

We've used Turbo Tax the past few years with success, but the price is always going up for the Deluxe version with e-filing and state return e-filing.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I've been a Turbo Tax user for quite a few years, ever since I quit trying to create my own spreadsheets which needed major updating every year, a LONG time ago. I went away to use Tax Cut for a couple of years when there was some brouhaha over a change TT had made (something to do with Windows), can't remember what, but came back to TT after that.

But as my life situation has become simpler, and my demands on a tax preparation program get less and less, TT keeps getting more and more expensive. I think they've just priced themselves out of the market for me.

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I figured I'd risk 20 bucks and give Tax Act a try. I just downloaded the Tax Act Fed package (my state won't be available for about a week), and so far, it looks serviceable. I'll know better when those 1099's start rolling in ...

kpitch

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We too are looking at an alternate tax preparation software in light of the price increase of TT and several price additions included within the package. From what I've read on Amazon's reviews of TT, Schedule C and D forms are not included in the Deluxe Version and you are required to upgrade. And, only 1 State return is allowed, any additional returns are added costs. Anyway...does anyone know if Tax Act transfers the TT information from last years' return? It appears that Tax Cut does transfer the info, but TA seems so much more inexpensive.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Anyway...does anyone know if Tax Act transfers the TT information from last years' return?
Nope, doesn't seem to have any provisions for importing from any tax programs other than last year's Tax Act.

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started last night and also didn't see where the info was available to import from TurboTax. It's not too much of a problem to enter your basic info from the start. Plus, just as TT does, TaxAct lets you save as you go along, so entering the information can be updated as you receive your tax documents. I'm going to try both and see how they compare before paying to file through one of them.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Taxact for years with no problem. Only stopped because my second husband has his own business - and his own accountant to deal with all of that!!

I do have a few long term friends who also still use taxact (we started doing our taxes together years afo) it is very user friendly.

The Conch Man

Reaction score
I get plenty of them 1099's every year Doug, no problem!

Since I'm old & can't remember I'm sure you can transfer your data from TT to TA when you start-up, I don't think it copies all of your data but it gets you on your way instead of doing it from scratch. :wave:

I'll know better when those 1099's start rolling in ...

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband has used TurboTax and TaxCut depending on the price each year. I notice that every year the price seems to go up. We don't have lots of exotic tax situations so, this year I noticed a special internet price for Tax Act (Ultimate) for $12.95 which includes Federal and State e file so I bought it. He is a little leery about entering all of his financial and personal data online but, I saw him working on the basics last night. It does not import from other programs. I guess we'll find out if it's any good this year!:D

kpitch

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Does Tax Act allow you to complete multiple returns? And, what if you don't want to e-file, can the return be printed and mailed?

I wish TT hadn't become so greedy, because it sure was easy to use.

Kathy

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Tax Act allow you to complete multiple returns? And, what if you don't want to e-file, can the return be printed and mailed?

Kathy

I know that the returns can be printed and mailed. And if you mean that you want to file returns for yourself, your family... yes, multiple returns can be done. The E-filing would cost something per return (depending on which version you have) but you can prepare and print as many returns as you like.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went away to use Tax Cut for a couple of years when there was some brouhaha over a change TT had made (something to do with Windows), can't remember what, but came back to TT after that.

I skipped TT that year also, Doug, and regretted it later.

It had to do with their install CD, and the fact that they were installing low level stuff on people's computers in an attempt to prevent piracy. A lot of people skipped using TT that year. The next year they got rid of that. I remember we discussed it on TUG also.

TT is more expensive, but it integrates best with Quicken and itself. I think I ordered TT Deluxe, which includes e-file for up to 5 returns and state e-file, from buy.com via a third party seller for around $40. I also hate buy.com :)

TT has lots of different versions. Some include one state plus state e-file, some don't.

All of them are also available in online only versions, using your web browser. The online versions probably only include a single return. Not sure.

-David

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tax Act

I have used Tax Act for the last 4 years, with no problems at all.

Will use it again this year. Easy to use, and the cost is reasonable.

kpitch

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
David, does your TT Deluxe include Schedule C and D? I'm curious if Intuit decided to make changes in the program after so many people complained about it. It appears they have decided to not charge for each return like originally planned, but we need these additional forms.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
David, does your TT Deluxe include Schedule C and D? I'm curious if Intuit decided to make changes in the program after so many people complained about it. It appears they have decided to not charge for each return like originally planned, but we need these additional forms.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Sure, the schedules are there, and you can fill them in, but if you want additional interview topics tailored to schedule C, you need the more expensive Home & Business version. For complicated stock transactions you might want the Premier version. H&B probably is above the Premier version.

Anyway, I haven't received it yet. Ask me again after I get it.

-David

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
TurboTax Support says no Sched C & D in Deluxe version

Just received..... Here is what I asked TurboTax Customer Service & Support.
I have been using TT Deluxe for many years. I just read on a Discussion board that Schedule C and D forms are not included in the Deluxe Version --- and you are required to upgrade. Is this true?

the response....

Note: See CORRECTION to this letter from TurboTax Customer Service & Support in posting #26 below.

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting TurboTax Customer Service & Support.

I understand that you want to know if you have to upgrade to use schedule C and D forms and I will be happy to answer this question for you. Schedules C and D are no longer available with the Deluxe version of TurboTax you would have to upgrade the The Premiere version in order to utilize those two forms.

I hope that this was of help. If you need further assistance, please contact us at www.turbotax.com/support
You may receive a survey from us through e-mail in approximately 24 hours asking you about my performance on today's contact, as well as comments you may have in regards to the TurboTax product. So we can continue with our promise to provide our customers with the best support available, please take a few minutes to complete the survey.

Respectfully,

09_Desirae

TurboTax Customer Service & Support

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
They gave you an innacurate response. Schedules C and D are included in the Deluxe version, even according to their own web site. The special guidance for schedule C is not there though. The forms are included.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/deluxe.jsp

Click on "included forms" on that page.

You will that see Schedules C and D are included. (It actually says Schedules C/EZ and D/D1. It says exactly the same thing for the higher versions, so C/EZ I take it means Schedules C and C-EZ, just like D/D1 means Schedules D and D1.)

I don't know why they gave you an innacurate response. I can only theorize that they want to push you into the higher priced product and that's how their first line of people are trained. In fact, if you have to file a schedule C the Home & Business version might be better for you if you need the actual guidance during the interview. If not, then you just need the form, and that's included. I need schedule D, as will a lot of people, but I don't need any specialized interview topics for it, so Deluxe should be fine for me. I guess I'll find out if that third party seller from buy.com (did I say that I hate buy.com?) ever gets it to me.

A lot of people need schedule D to calculate their actual tax, so it has to be included in even the basic version.

-David

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
I haven't download the current version but the free TaxAct has always the included schedules C and D - it's the best bargain in tax software preparation

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.....A lot of people need schedule D to calculate their actual tax, so it has to be included in even the basic version.

Thanks for that info, David. I think I'll reply to that TT email just to see what they have to say the second time....

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kathy
You are not charged until you print your returns, so if you go through the computations and don't want to use their system you do not pay for anything

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, David. I think I'll reply to that TT email just to see what they have to say the second time....

I got the software (TT Deluxe Federal + State) in the mail today. When I install it, I'll play with it and let you know.

I think the only difference will be in the interview topics and advice. The forms are all the same as far as I understand it.

-David

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Schedule C and it's worksheets are there. So is Schedule D, of course.

The layout of the screen and the forms page is much better this year. The forms page opens a pane to the left of your tax return. Adding a form is also much better than it's been in previous years.

Naturally, when I started a preliminary return and checked the box that I had stock/mutual fund sales, it tries to upsell you to what they consider as the correct version. I guess it's up to you as to which version you go with. My returns are relatively simple and I don't need any help calculating my long term/mid term/short term cap gains and/or losses. The carryover worksheet is there, but for some reason it mentioned that as a reason to go with the upsell version. I need the carryover worksheet to work for next year. I can't imagine why it wouldn't since the form is already part of my return, and it already has my loss carryover included with the 3k eligible loss deducted for this years return.

I don't like the fact that it installs several services and a bunch of stuff under the Windows directory (although everything under the Windows dir is installed in intuit specific sub-folders). There's a few new services I don't recognize. One is a macrovision service, which doesn't seem like it's something I'd want. The other is some sort of flex license service. There's also an intuit update service that was added. That's what I noticed in services.msc.

It's hard to recommend it when they do crap like that.

The filenames are different this year also. Instead of *.tax they are *.tax2008. I guess that might imply a new file format for your saved return.

As for picking a version, if you have a simple return and know how to calculate gains/losses and don't need investment advice, go with Deluxe. If you want the investment advice, go with Premier. If you have a business, and need schedule C and need the interview topics/advice, you should probably go for the Home and Business version (or your own personal Dave M :) ). On the other hand, if you've already categorized all your business expenses properly in quicken, you might be able to get away with the lower end version. I guess you can always upgrade. It wanted me to upgrade to Premier for $30. I suspect it's all one program anyway, and when you upgrade it just unlocks the rest of the features. (That's a total guess.) I don't know if it's cheaper to buy the correct version in the first place or not. I paid less than $40 for TT Deluxe Fed + State, with Fed e-file (up to 5 returns) included. If I end up upgrading to Premier, it will be less than $70. For now, I'll stick with Deluxe and see how it goes. I think it will be fine for me. Quicken's already calculated my long term losses for 2008 (with a tax/cap gains report). Everything else (dividends) will be on the 1099s I get from the brokerage firms.

I don't blame anybody for switching away this year. There pricing is a mess.

-David

Last edited: