• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

anyone use JRA Services

scubamama

Reaction score
We just found a timeshare resale on TUG that we will be purchasing. This is our first resale purchase. The seller is wanting to use JRA Services for the closing, has anyone used them? Are they reputable?

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used Janet over a dozen times and she is fabulous. Somewhere this is a thread with positive reviews for her.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently made use of her services. The instructions provided were clear and the transaction was completed in a timely manner.

Cheers!

lennyb216

TUG Member
Reaction score
JRA was great when I used them as well.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
have used them for at least 5 times.
For Hiltons, Marriotts, Starwood, etc...
Never been disappointed.
They are my most favorite closing co. for escrow involved transfer process.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong...

The seller is wanting to use JRA Services for the closing, has anyone used them? Are they reputable?

Yes, to both questions. Like others above, I have used the closing services of JRA numerous times, as both buyer and seller and I will do so again in the future without hesitation. You can't go wrong with Janet A.
She is honest and competent and experienced. Her fees are competitive; what more could you ask for?

That being said, why is the seller attempting to dictate the closing company (..unless s/he is also paying those closing costs)? :confused: In any case, this is a good, independent and reliable closing service, so worry not...

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Another fan here. My buyer chose this company, and the whole process was incredibly fast.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have used Janet twice and highly recommend her too. Great service.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I used Janet at JRA last April, and I was very pleased with her communication and professionalism.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Camper

Over 10 transactions through JRA (Janet) and all great. Super fast service, by the book.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Hmmm

I just finished using JRA and I am not sure I can say that the services were as stellar as what everyone else is raving about. We did get it done after a few hiccups and mistakes, but the biggest thing that has me a bit upset is Janet's tone of her messages seem abrupt and rude. Even though we got the deal done, I will not be using her again. I would have expected a bit more courteous communication, but to each their own. It's done :crash:

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Janet's tone of her messages seem abrupt and rude. Even though we got the deal done, I will not be using her again. I would have expected a bit more courteous communication, but to each their own.

This was my experience as well.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A dissenting viewpoint...

I just finished using JRA and I am not sure I can say that the services were as stellar as what everyone else is raving about. We did get it done after a few hiccups and mistakes, but the biggest thing that has me a bit upset is Janet's tone of her messages seem abrupt and rude. Even though we got the deal done, I will not be using her again. I would have expected a bit more courteous communication, but to each their own.

Having dealt with Janet A. many times over a number of years now (in both buyer and seller capacities), I would respectfully submit that there is a clear, distinct and important difference between "rude and abrupt" and "direct and to the point". I have always found Janet to be only the latter. I'm perfectly fine with her particular style of "just the facts", with no inclusion of superfluous "warm and fuzzies". YMMV.

JRA is essentially a one woman operation; I respect Janet's ability, focus and competence. Personally, I'll take direct and competent over warm and fuzzy anytime. "Tone" is certainly a matter of subjective, personal interpretation in email correspondence anyhow. But as you correctly note --- "to each their own". :shrug:

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Having dealt with Janet A. many times over a number of years now (in both buyer and seller capacities), I would respectfully submit that there is a clear, distinct and important difference between "rude and abrupt" and "direct and to the point". I have always found Janet to be only the latter. I'm perfectly fine with her particular style of "just the facts", with no inclusion of superfluous "warm and fuzzies". YMMV.

JRA is essentially a one woman operation; I respect Janet's ability, focus and competence. Personally, I'll take direct and competent over warm and fuzzy anytime. "Tone" is certainly a matter of subjective, personal interpretation in email correspondence anyhow. But as you correctly note --- "to each their own". :shrug:

Well let me put it this way, when you go have a meal, do you want your server to be direct and to the point ? If you were going to buy a new car, do you want the sales person to be just direct and to the point ? There is a huge difference between being direct and rude. When someone calls you for your services and without asking them anything, tell them to fill out the form online and we'll get to you, in my opinion is rude. The emails responses as well, rude. There is a way to be direct without being rude.

I don't care how "focused and competent" she is (which she wasn't when she missed some key information that we had emailed to her already on the structure) courtesy and speaking in a professional manner is always important in business as it is "a business" she is running.

As in my business as well, sure I get paid for what I am doing, but will the customer be back when they are looking for the service again ? If not, you have just shot yourself in the foot after getting them through the door the first time. It doesn't seem I am alone in my sentiment about her.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more time --- to each their own...

<snip> It doesn't seem I am alone in my sentiment about her.

No indeed; it seems that exactly one other person has expressed sharing your particular viewpoint --- among hundreds of satified JRA customers here in these forums over a number of years now... :shrug:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No indeed; it seems that exactly one other person has expressed sharing your particular viewpoint --- among hundreds of satified JRA customers here in these forums over a number of years now... :shrug:

So the two people are wrong and everyone else is right ? Is that the way it is ? I'm sure that there are others who just let it slide. As I said the transaction is done and anyone intending to use her, just be aware that this is the tone of business transaction. I am entitled to my opinion and it doesn't change the facts of what happened. I don't care who it is or what business, if I am paying money, I would expect the same courtesy that I extend to them as a customer. If that is acceptable to you being disrespected as a paying customer, than good on you! Go at it. I don't expect anyone to bend over and kiss my butt but being professional and friendly on the phone and emails is not a lot to ask for.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
One LAST time --- to each their own...

If that is acceptable to you being disrespected as a paying customer, than good on you!

It wouldn't be acceptable, but neither has it ever been experienced --- in the course of about a dozen transactions undertaken over a number of years.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My guess is that both you and Janet will be quite happy to have you take your future business elsewhere... :)

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
That being said, why is the seller attempting to dictate the closing company (..unless s/he is also paying those closing costs)? :confused: In any case, this is a good, independent and reliable closing service, so worry not...

No basis for commenting on JRA, good or bad. But in my experience seller selects title company. Often on recommendation of their broker who maybe gets a nice Christmas gift!

Frequently use same one as did their closing as if just a few years offer a discount since have all the records.

Most e-bay sellers mandate their over priced Title Companies who I suspect are under common ownership.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
...Most e-bay sellers mandate their over priced Title Companies who I suspect are under common ownership.

This seems true and I have no problem with it.

When I tell people I paid a dollar for my 2 br in Steamboat Springs, I also tell them they I paid at least double the usual closing costs.

They can't make any money selling a unit for a dollar that costs $35 to list, so the money has to made somewhere.

It's just like shipping on items you purchase, you add it in to the total cost and determine how much you want to bid.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is different...

<snip>...in my experience seller selects title company. Often on recommendation of their broker who maybe gets a nice Christmas gift!

Aside from the very specific matter of eBay mega-sellers and their (...ahem) "cozy" relationships with particular closing entities, my own experience over the past few decades (whether as buyer or seller) has been that closing costs (and selection of a specific closing company --- I've never used a "title" company) is negotiable matter in most private transactions. Generally speaking, whoever is paying those costs really has the most leverage in the actual selection. :shrug:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
No basis for commenting on JRA, good or bad. But in my experience seller selects title company. Often on recommendation of their broker who maybe gets a nice Christmas gift!

Frequently use same one as did their closing as if just a few years offer a discount since have all the records.

Most e-bay sellers mandate their over priced Title Companies who I suspect are under common ownership.

In many states, real estate commission rules provide that the BUYER, not the seller, chooses the closing agent, but since many of these eBay seller thumb their noses at lots of laws and rules of various states, what is one more to them?

If I ever bought through eBay, I would insist on my choice of closer, not theirs. If they wanted to quibble about that, I would file complaints against both them and eBay with the appropriate Real Estate Commission, and if it is an attorney state on deed preparation, also against both them and eBay with the appropriate State Bar. Some state agencies will be more active than others in this regard, and some states laws will be stricter than others. For example, in North Carolina, the ultimate leverage is that eBay sellers would meet the state's very broad definition of ''developer'' and would have to get certified as a developer to sell North Carolina timeshares on eBay. None of them currently are, to my knowledge. The North Carolina Real Estate Commission has historically taken a longarm approach to go after anyone selling NC Real Estate whereever they are located. So that would be the nuclear weapon to force eBay sellers to let you use your closer. Otherwise you start a process that will prevent them, and after it getting rolling probably other, eBay sellers from selling NC timeshares on eBay.

I have seen too many deeds in North Carolina that have gone through these multi-state timeshare closing companies, especially those affiliated with eBay sellers, which are seriously defective, many to the point of not being valid to convey title. That is why I would insist on my own choice of closer. I have also read of Tuggers caught by a closer going out of business or even dying. At least with an attorney or realtor, there are often Client Security Funds to protect you from such things.

I would either use an attorney who handles timeshare in the same area as the resort, a local realtor who specializes in timeshare, or the only multi-state timeshare closing company I am aware which obeys all the laws, PCS Holdings. My choices would probably be in that order, but relative price would also come into the equation.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list of satisfied customers of JRA Services. I posted a full review on another thread in the Marriott forum, but wanted to add some thoughts here as well. Janet had all the qualities I was looking for in a closing agent -- honesty, professional, efficient, straightforward and most of all, conscientious. Highly recommended and would use again!