• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 29 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone use "bing" on their computer?

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a new laptop and every time I open it . it tries to get me to install bing. I have no idea what it is so I just go elsewhere. Any benefits or problems installing it and what it itT TIA

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
At my job BING is the default search engine.
I hate it and am constantly typing in google instead.
It's constantly giving you weird results that you're not looking for.:crash:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Give BING the GONG!

I bought a new laptop and every time I open it . it tries to get me to install bing. I have no idea what it is so I just go elsewhere. Any benefits or problems installing it and what it itT TIA

Bing is a Microsoft product (...to many people, that's really enough said right there). :rolleyes:

Microsoft would love to have simply acquired Google outright, with it's vastly superior search engine, but it didn't (and won't) ever happen. Microsoft doesn't like being "number two" in anything, but by direct comparison of the two search ehgines, Bing is just a comparatively weak "wannabe"...

With Windows (another Microsioft product) likely the pre-installed operating system on your new laptop, it's really no surprise that Microsoft has apparently built in a pre-programmed effort to get you to promptly "swing to Bing". ;)

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Remove it. Another intrusive and potentially dangerous (as it opens doors you want to keep closed).

Use Google or some other non-Microsoft service - always the best way to go when possible.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much. It isn't installed so I'll see if it is listed so that I can delete it. It is a pain when it pops up every time I turn on my computer.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can select your default search engine. Just select something besides Bing.

Jim

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bing is a Microsoft product (...to many people, that's really enough said right there). :rolleyes:

To put this in perspective, there are more than many people who are very satisified with Microsoft products. Mac family since 2001.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bing works fine. Better at some things than Google, worse at others. I use Google out of habit, but I'd be fine w/Bing.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No argument...

.... there are more than many people who are very satisified with Microsoft products.

...which is why I clearly and deliberately used the phrase many people instead of saying most people.

As you may have guessed, I am not a fan of heavy-handed Microsoft. To each his / her own...

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Bing, considering where it's from, is actually quite good.

Also, their iPad app is cool. :)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bing was the default search engine on my computer. I considedered changing it as my default search engine, but decided to give Bing a try. Never had a problem. A few times when I was hoping to find a better site on a search, I tried Google and did not get better results.

L

laurac260

Bing. Tried it a couple times, thought it sucked, moved on.

I'm too young and too many years ahead of me to be spending my youthful energy on wasteful endeavors (read, I just turned 45 yesterday and half my life is over so I am getting too old to be wasting the final half of my life on wasteful endeavors!):p

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for additional replies. I'm still trying to learn my way around my new computer but I've pretty much decided to delete bing, if for no other reason, their annoying pop ups, but thanks for all the opinions and the reason for it. I found them very helpful.